Author Topic: Anthony Davis should stay put  (Read 5451 times)

Re: Anthony Davis should stay put
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 11:17:46 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Davis is an injury waiting to happen. He almost never survives a 4 game week. A bit like Embiid, except he comes up with some sort of sickness or injury to miss a game. Last week it was a slight ankle sprain.

Last night he had a huge night against the Celtics. But that's almost a given, because good bigs always have a big night against the Celtics because the Celtics have no big to defend against good bigs. It figures bad teams like NO would give the Celtics trouble because they have TWO good bigs.

You could say this game is telling Danny to go out and get a good big defender. Somebody long. Baynes has his shortcomings. Theis better but still doesn't have quite the length.

If the Cavs get Jordan for that Nets pick, the Celtics will be in trouble against them.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:14 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Davis is an injury waiting to happen. He almost never survives a 4 game week. A bit like Embiid, except he comes up with some sort of sickness or injury to miss a game. Last week it was a slight ankle sprain.

Last night he had a huge night against the Celtics. But that's almost a given, because good bigs always have a big night against the Celtics because the Celtics have no big to defend against good bigs. It figures bad teams like NO would give the Celtics trouble because they have TWO good bigs.

You could say this game is telling Danny to go out and get a good big defender. Somebody long. Baynes has his shortcomings. Theis better but still doesn't have quite the length.

If the Cavs get Jordan for that Nets pick, the Celtics will be in trouble against them.

I was with you until the Jordan thing. He's not difficult to defend, as he can't shoot outside of 3 feet.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Pelicans looked good tonight. If they can somehow clear some space to add a Paul George type wing, they become a top 5 team.

I don't know why New Orleans would look to trade him. I don't think they get even value in any viable trade for him.

A one game sample they may look alright. Other nights they look awful. The inconsistency is an indicator of a poorly built and poorly coached basketball team.

As for acquiring a top wing and getting better; Davis is on a max, Cousins will be on a max, and Jrue Holiday is on a max until 2021.

Unless by some miracle of god they can offload Jrue Holiday somewhere, they cannot add more superstars to that roster. Best of luck with that endeavour. Probably the worst contract in the league.

Holiday is 27 and averaging 18.5, 5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.5 steals on 49% shooting. Ideally you would want him to be a clear all-star, but how is that the worst contract in the league compared to guys making a ton of money that can't even play?

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
The Pelicans looked good tonight. If they can somehow clear some space to add a Paul George type wing, they become a top 5 team.

I don't know why New Orleans would look to trade him. I don't think they get even value in any viable trade for him.

A one game sample they may look alright. Other nights they look awful. The inconsistency is an indicator of a poorly built and poorly coached basketball team.

As for acquiring a top wing and getting better; Davis is on a max, Cousins will be on a max, and Jrue Holiday is on a max until 2021.

Unless by some miracle of god they can offload Jrue Holiday somewhere, they cannot add more superstars to that roster. Best of luck with that endeavour. Probably the worst contract in the league.

Holiday is 27 and averaging 18.5, 5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.5 steals on 49% shooting. Ideally you would want him to be a clear all-star, but how is that the worst contract in the league compared to guys making a ton of money that can't even play?

Yeah, Holliday is a borderline all-star, you can't complain about him. This is the same team that splurged cap space on Omer Asik and Alexis Ajinca who are both utterly useless.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
There are at least two contracts on the Pelicans alone worse than Holiday's i.e. Omer Asik, and Solomon Hill (even taking injury out of it).  I think you could make an argument E'Twaun Moore and Alexis Ajinca have worse contracts as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Pelicans have no draft picks and little convincing trade bait. To the extent there are any, they should really be hitting the buyout market, G-leaguers, or anything else. They really need a small forward.

If they get into the playoffs and steal a game or two, that's something.

EDIT: Well, little convincing trade bait if you're keeping Cousins and Davis..... last night is why those AD rumors persist. Maybe Ainge told him to try-out for the team.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
He should leave. Not stay.

NOP is a mess of a franchise. Horribly run franchise that will not win or even challenge for anything.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
He should leave. Not stay.

NOP is a mess of a franchise. Horribly run franchise that will not win or even challenge for anything.

Disagree that the past determines the future. They just made a great trade for Cousins. They get some salary relief in 2020 (not that far off). They are in 6th place in the West, and there's little reason to think that they should get worse.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 04:32:29 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
They won't trade him unless he demands a trade.  He doesn't seem like the type, but who knows -- that's par for course these days.

Per your Anthony Davis quote, I doubt he would want to play under Danny "Belichick" Ainge, for whom players are merely a means to an end. Danny has a certain brilliance, yes, but he does not have Red's soul. I will always believe that somewhere inside Danny, there remains a resentment towards Red for trading him after all the loyalty that was shown to Bird and McHale.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 09:01:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Gentry discussing possible Davis trade to Celtics.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/01/alvin_gentry_anthony_davis_is_not_walking_through_celtics_door

“I know there’s been rumors about Boston trying to trade for him or whatever,” said Gentry, “and my response to that is, yeah, we’ll trade him.”

“But they’re going to have to give us the New England Patriots and the two planes that they just bought. ... And I don’t think they’re going to do that. So we’re not even thinking about those kind of things.”

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 09:12:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Stephen A. Smith talked about Davis possibly being traded to Cleveland and how with AD in Cleveland, the Warriors could be beat in the Finals. He also thinks that could be bad news for the C's (obviously).

Umm, am I missing something, or did the Cavaliers suddenly get multiple high draft picks going forward?? I mean, what else can the Cavaliers offer besides the BKN Pick (which is likely NOT a Top-5 pick). And if they trade K. Love, are you really substantially improving the team? I get Love's defense is horrible, but he has been the 2nd best player on that Cavs team and is also a walking double-double...

But obviously, the Pelicans won't trade AD for that package, and unlike the C's, the Cavaliers can't trade their NFL franchise to the Pelicans, because the Pelicans would obviously say no to taking back the winless Browns...   :P  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 09:55:24 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
After watching the game, their offense is a defensive nightmare for us. We have to cheat off the wings because of potential lobs and low posts to their bigs, which allows jrue to dribble anywhere he wants. Even if he misses, we have no one that can box two huge centers out for the offensive rebounds. Don't let the similar offensive rebound number confuse you, we got a ton of "lucky bricks" that landed back at the shooter. Also our "let's go" last 5 minutes roster can't have Tatum, who is historically clutch, because we need theis or baynes to matchup. Our defense is great because we can switch everything and close out jump shooters. Can't do that vs NO.

The good news is our defense is perfect against fast paced, small ball, motion offenses like GSW, which will be our finals opponent. We just kind of have to accept 2 losses vs NO unless Stevens can figure something else out in the rematch. I'm surprised it was even that close. Kyrie is ineffective on offense because he drives into Anthony Davis with Boogie as a help defender, so he has to jack up jumpers instead of the easy layups were used to.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:02:29 PM by Erik »

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
After beating the best team in the East last night, they subsequently lost to the worst East team in Atlanta tonight. Davis put up an ugly game, too.

NO is just a bad matchup for Boston. That’s why I thought they could give GS some trouble if they meet in the first round.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 10:21:34 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
After watching the game, their offense is a defensive nightmare for us. We have to cheat off the wings because of potential lobs and low posts to their bigs, which allows jrue to dribble anywhere he wants. Even if he misses, we have no one that can box two huge centers out for the offensive rebounds. Don't let the similar offensive rebound number confuse you, we got a ton of "lucky bricks" that landed back at the shooter. Also our "let's go" last 5 minutes roster can't have Tatum, who is historically clutch, because we need theis or baynes to matchup. Our defense is great because we can switch everything and close out jump shooters. Can't do that vs NO.

The good news is our defense is perfect against fast paced, small ball, motion offenses like GSW, which will be our finals opponent. We just kind of have to accept 2 losses vs NO unless Stevens can figure something else out in the rematch. I'm surprised it was even that close. Kyrie is ineffective on offense because he drives into Anthony Davis with Boogie as a help defender, so he has to jack up jumpers instead of the easy layups were used to.
It's not luck

our strategy to put up so many 3s is to make and get those long rebound
and don't forget we miss hayward and tatum didn't play much, plus this is after a long space time, not to mention AD needs to bust his ass to 40+ min and monster numbers to barely beat us and KI is in a shooting slump, oh and i haven't mention the ongoing matchup adjust by CBS

don't let one game result fool you

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Only thing worth staying is French Quarter .   

He should leave and just visit .