Author Topic: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11  (Read 18451 times)

Re: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
No.  The reason for playing the prior game was because it was a home game.   When a player comes back and plays after a long rehab, there is always risk of something happening, in particular bad muscle cramps.   Med staff always prefers them to start back at home.
"Bad muscle cramps" are a problem on the road?! Oh noes!

Are you trivializing that?   Why send the player out on a plane trip, test the waters only to have a problem and then have to fly him home?   Better to test the waters at home to eliminate the travel.   Schedule obviously doesn't always give the staff a choice.  But when it does, I'd bet they always favor using a home game as the first game back.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No.  The reason for playing the prior game was because it was a home game.   When a player comes back and plays after a long rehab, there is always risk of something happening, in particular bad muscle cramps.   Med staff always prefers them to start back at home.
"Bad muscle cramps" are a problem on the road?! Oh noes!

Are you trivializing that?   Why send the player out on a plane trip, test the waters only to have a problem and then have to fly him home?   Better to test the waters at home to eliminate the travel.   Schedule obviously doesn't always give the staff a choice.  But when it does, I'd bet they always favor using a home game as the first game back.
I understand why you'd like to start at home, but let's not pretend that muscle cramps are the issue here. Thomas traveled to Boston with the team anyway.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2018, 06:01:55 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Thought this was an interesting comment I found

"This has a lot to do with how the Lakers retired Kobe's Jersey. It was pretty epic, and they literally made the entire night about Kobe!! Paul was covering the game that night and you can see he got pretty amped.

It really wasn't going to be that big of a deal, but the way they did Kobe, Paul saw how he wanted the Celts to honor him"

And why not. The guy has 26,397 points and is the Celtics 2nd all time leading scorer.  He led the team to its first championship in 22 years and along with KG restored Celtics lore and was the face of creating an entire generation of Celtics fans.  And if KG doesn't get hurt in 09, and refs don't start calling crappy early in the fourth quarter of game 7, he would've helped raise two or three banners.  He absolutely deserves a night of accolades, upon accolades, upon accolades.  And next season number 5 will be right next to his.

« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

"This has a lot to do with how the Lakers retired Kobe's Jersey. It was pretty epic, and they literally made the entire night about Kobe!! Paul was covering the game that night and you can see he got pretty amped.

It really wasn't going to be that big of a deal, but the way they did Kobe, Paul saw how he wanted the Celts to honor him"

And why not. The guy has 26,397 points and is the Celtics 2nd all time leading scorer.  He led the team to its first championship in 22 years and along with KG restored Celtics lore and was the face of creating an entire generation of Celtics fans.  And if KG doesn't get hurt in 09, and refs don't start calling crappy early in the fourth quarter of game 7, he would've helped raise two or three banners.  He absolutely deserves a night of accolades, upon accolades, upon accolades.  And next season number 5 will be right next to his.

While that's all true, he's not on Kobe's level.  Demanding his own night -- when the norm for Celtics legends has been a halftime show -- seems a little over the top.  Pierce is demanding that he be elevated over Havlicek and Cousy and Tommy and Cowens and McHale, etc., etc.  The only Celtics I can remember getting their own night were Larry and Russell (his second retirement ceremony; the first was done with the Garden nearly empty). 

It's very weird to me that Paul seems so insecure.  I think he put himself above the team when Danny went to him, told him that the team made a commitment to Isaiah, and asked him to bless a short video.  Pierce not only declined, but he shared that story with the media.  What good does it serve to tell the world that he refused Danny Ainge's request?  I think that's disrespectful to Danny and to the team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

While that's all true, he's not on Kobe's level.  Demanding his own night -- when the norm for Celtics legends has been a halftime show -- seems a little over the top.  Pierce is demanding that he be elevated over Havlicek and Cousy and Tommy and Cowens and McHale, etc., etc.  The only Celtics I can remember getting their own night were Larry and Russell (his second retirement ceremony; the first was done with the Garden nearly empty). 

It's very weird to me that Paul seems so insecure.  I think he put himself above the team when Danny went to him, told him that the team made a commitment to Isaiah, and asked him to bless a short video.  Pierce not only declined, but he shared that story with the media.  What good does it serve to tell the world that he refused Danny Ainge's request?  I think that's disrespectful to Danny and to the team.

I don't find that insecure. It's his night for a culmination of a career. He doesn't understand all these tribute videos for players that are around a few years as something special because he's old school. I understand where he's coming from. Like he said IT is only 28, it will be ok for him to wait lol

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2018, 06:30:48 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton

He didn't demand his own night. The team decided that they wanted to honor him after the game so they wouldn't be limited by the time limit of a half time ceremony.  The C's have done that before, for Larry Bird. 

This Isaiah Thomas worship is over the top. He was here for 2.5 season and had one epic season. 

This shouldn't even be an argument, Paul Pierce is the most iconic Celtic since Larry Bird (I'd argue that KG might've been the most important).  He can have a whole week as far as I'm concerned. 

« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2018, 06:36:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He didn't demand his own night. The team decided that they wanted to honor him after the game so they wouldn't be limited by the time limit of a half time ceremony.  The C's have done that before, for Larry Bird. 

This Isaiah Thomas worship is over the top. He was here for 2.5 season and had one epic season. 

This shouldn't even be an argument, Paul Pierce is the most iconic Celtic since Larry Bird (I'd argue that KG might've been the most important).  He can have a whole week as far as I'm concerned.

Right. Pierce was promised a post-game ceremony. Pierce turned that into an entire night, so that he got the “Kobe” treatment. That apparently includes editorial control of the Jumbotron and the right to tell Danny and the Celtics to pound sand, very publicly.

It’s very un-Celtic like, from a guy who was a great Celtic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Am I the only one who is actually disappointed a little in Pierce with all this too?

I mean, I never thought he'd be that sensitive over having some 2-3 minute tribute video for Isaiah that night.

Seemed to me that once Pierce made those comments, that's what made Isaiah sort of cave in with his tweet today.

Obviously it's Pierce's night on Feb. 11, but would a 2-3 minute Isaiah tribute video have really splashed water on Pierce's night, especially if that video was played during a TV timeout or something??

Idk man... this whole thing is confusing.

Yeah. I never imagined that he was so insecure.

I guess IT did the “right thing”, but I can’t believe that it came to this.

It has zero to do with being insecure. He deserves that night SOLELY based on a full body of work and a career long commitment to this team and this organization.  It shouldn't have even been up for debate or for IT to do the 'right thing." If it's anyone's fault it got to this its the front office for even considering it on Paul's day. Paul has every right to feel how he feels.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton

Right. Pierce was promised a post-game ceremony. Pierce turned that into an entire night, so that he got the “Kobe” treatment. That apparently includes editorial control of the Jumbotron and the right to tell Danny and the Celtics to pound sand, very publicly.

It’s very un-Celtic like, from a guy who was a great Celtic.

Wow, dude.  You have this all wrong.  I'll bet all I got that they were going to show Paul Pierce highlights all game anyway.  All Pierce is saying is he doesn't want to share his day with IT.  there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  He earned this moment. 

« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2018, 06:48:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Am I the only one who is actually disappointed a little in Pierce with all this too?

I mean, I never thought he'd be that sensitive over having some 2-3 minute tribute video for Isaiah that night.

Seemed to me that once Pierce made those comments, that's what made Isaiah sort of cave in with his tweet today.

Obviously it's Pierce's night on Feb. 11, but would a 2-3 minute Isaiah tribute video have really splashed water on Pierce's night, especially if that video was played during a TV timeout or something??

It has zero to do with being insecure. He deserves that night SOLELY based on a full body of work and a career long commitment to this team and this organization.  It shouldn't have even been up for debate or for IT to do the 'right thing." If it's anyone's fault it got to this its the front office for even considering it on Paul's day. Paul has every right to feel how he feels.

It seems odd that in a team game, Pierce refuses to allow other Celtics players to be shown on the Jumbotron. Weirder still, he thinks he’s bigger than Danny Ainge and the organization.

Just because he’s a legend doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have a fragile ego and a petty streak.

I thought he had outgrown that, but Paul always had a bit of a diva streak.

« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I’ll never understand this dramatic romanticization and exaggerated worship of IT’s short time here. I’m guessing his diminutive size and “feel good story” play a significant role in these feelings, but personally I found him polarizing, especially after he experienced some success and started running his yapper about getting paid.

« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

It seems odd that in a team game, Pierce refuses to allow other Celtics players to be shown on the Jumbotron. Weirder still, he thinks he’s bigger than Danny Ainge and the organization.

Just because he’s a legend doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have a fragile ego and a petty streak.

Roy you are not thinking clearly on this lol The whole thing is dumb anyways. If you want to take it out on someone you should choose management who should have never let this happen.

« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2018, 06:57:39 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Some of this trashing of Paul Pierce and looking at IT as the messiah is kinda pathetic. If you can only see Pierce as being selfish, and IT as the “victim”...you’re probably being obtuse at this point. Pierce was being petty (I don’t fully blame him), but he should have never been in the position to even have to speak on “his day”. The Celtics made this into a spectacle and the media ran with it.

« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2018, 07:02:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Roy you are not thinking clearly on this lol The whole thing is dumb anyways. If you want to take it out on someone you should choose management who should have never let this happen.

There’s plenty of blame.

I think Pierce is being the most unreasonable (by not sharing 3 minutes) and most unprofessional (by going public before and after talking with Danny), and the organization looks weak and incompetent (for letting IT dictate his tribute date, then letting Pierce veto that). 

I don’t really have a huge problem with what IT did, assuming he didn’t know that Pierce’s ceremony was that night. He made a request privately, and the team said sure.

« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Some of this trashing of Paul Pierce and looking at IT as the messiah is kinda pathetic. If you can only see Pierce as being selfish, and IT as the “victim”...you’re probably being obtuse at this point. Pierce was being petty (I don’t fully blame him), but he should have never been in the position to even have to speak on “his day”. The Celtics made this into a spectacle and the media ran with it.

Show one post claiming IT is the messiah, please.