Author Topic: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11  (Read 18368 times)

Re: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 06:38:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m really trying to understand all the “Paul is insecure blah..blah...blah..” Do you guys think the Lakers organization would have attempted a stunt like that on Kobe’s night? No! Matter of fact the fans wouldn’t have it. I like IT, but let’s be for real about his contributions vs Pierce’s..it’s not even a debate.

Any other former player would get called out if they made the requests that IT did.

Exactly. 

And quite frankly, its crazy to me that people are claiming he's insecure. If that were true, than Banner 17 wouldn't be in the rafters because his ego wouldn't have been able to share the light with KG and Ray.

Guys, this is one the most stories franchises in all of sports. Getting your number in the rafters next to Russell, Bird, Cousy - that's a heck of a career acheivement. To etch your name amongst those greats, it's very likely the most special moment of his career. Paul has earned the right be selfish, IMO.

Yes, and you would think that the enormity of having his numbers in the rafters, and getting his own post-game ceremony, would be enough. Instead, he demanded to be treated like Kobe, with not only his own ceremony, but an entire night dedicated to him. He refused to give up a couple of minutes of Jumbotron time to honor another, lesser Celtics hero.

It’s a far cry from guys like Cousy and Tommy, who shared their ceremony with other players.

It just makes it look like Pierce has a really fragile ego.

This is really a bad comparison. Tommy, Bob and others with them won championship together. Of course, they'll share spotlights. If IT have won Celtics a championship, then he have a case but he didn't so the point is moot.

Even Antoine have better case since he's the one who actually played alongside Paul during the 2002 ECF run and a longer Celtic tenure than IT ever had.

Cooz shared a ceremony with Ed Macauley, who only played 6 seasons here and never won a title. He did lead his St. Louis team to a championship, though, beating the Celtics in the Finals.

By today’s standard, Cousy was massively disrespected.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 07:32:43 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Why does the video tribute HAVE to happen on 2/11? Why not next year, or in the playoffs this year (if they matchup with CLE). It sounds ridiculous to say that there's only one date that would work for IT.

Also, can we remember any player being so involved in when he is applauded, esp after 2 years of work? This reminds me of the MTV show where the 16yo girl throws a tantrum when their $100k sweet 16 party isn't up to their standard.

At some point IT should dump the chip on his shoulder and replace it with gratitude for his lot in life. His agent is doing him a disservice by allowing him to opine in such a selfish manner. This does not make IT look good. If Pierce looks selfish it is not that big of a deal- he already landed his big contract. IT is the one that wants the Brinks trunk. He should be focused exclusively on getting back to being a valuable NBA player.

C'mon man!

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 07:41:46 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's the right move by IT.  Classy.  Let Paul Pierce have his tribute night to himself.

When is the next date Cleveland will play at Boston or is that the last one this year?

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2018, 07:46:47 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Incredible how petty IT has looked during this entire saga. I'm glad they are not giving him a tribute on that day. The C's screwed this up too. They should have just given him his tribute in his first game back.

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Rondo also fired a shot at IT implying that he doesn't deserve the video tribute:
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Rondo also fired a shot at IT implying that he doesn't deserve the video tribute:

Ouch. But true.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

Ouch. But true.
Love how it’s WE.!!

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2018, 09:46:54 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Except ... Rondo is 100% wrong about what is being 'celebrated' here.  Sure, we don't hang conference titles.  We DO however celebrate players who entertained us and are fondly remembered by the fans, even if they didn't win titles.  We've done this with dozens of players.  This is fact.  Jae Crowder just got one.  Avery Bradley just got one.

A video tribute to Thomas by the Celtics would not be a celebration of reaching the ECF.  It would be a celebration of how well Thomas played while here.  Nothing more and nothing less.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Ouch. But true.
Love how it’s WE.!!

After he quit on the team, skipped games and stopped playing defense he doesn’t have a lot of room to critique others. 

IT loved playing here and gave his heart and soul to this team. That’s what we’d be celebrating. 

If anybody didn’t deserve a tribute video, it’s Rondo, based upon the way that he dogged it on his way out of town.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Cooz shared a ceremony with Ed Macauley, who only played 6 seasons here and never won a title. He did lead his St. Louis team to a championship, though, beating the Celtics in the Finals.

Ed Macauley who made the all-star game in every season he played for the Celtics and wore a Celtics uniform in nearly 65% of his NBA games. Not to mention that he was teammates with Cousy in each of those 6 seasons.

Yup, pretty much the same situation as Thomas and Pierce.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Ed Macauley who made the all-star game in every season he played for the Celtics and wore a Celtics uniform in nearly 65% of his NBA games. Not to mention that he was teammates with Cousy in each of those 6 seasons.

Yup, pretty much the same situation as Thomas and Pierce.  ::) ::) ::)

I assume you saw the post I responded to, which spoke specifically about winning titles.  That’s why you intentionally declined to quote it, to misrepresent what I said.  Here it is again:

This is really a bad comparison. Tommy, Bob and others with them won championship together. Of course, they'll share spotlights. If IT have won Celtics a championship, then he have a case but he didn't so the point is moot.

You usually do a little better, koz. ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Except ... Rondo is 100% wrong about what is being 'celebrated' here.  Sure, we don't hang conference titles.  We DO however celebrate players who entertained us and are fondly remembered by the fans, even if they didn't win titles.  We've done this with dozens of players.  This is fact.  Jae Crowder just got one.  Avery Bradley just got one.

A video tribute to Thomas by the Celtics would not be a celebration of reaching the ECF.  It would be a celebration of how well Thomas played while here.  Nothing more and nothing less.
It was 2.5 seasons though.  He doesn't deserve a video tribute.  Neither did Crowder, Bradley, or Olynyk.  This video tribute nonsense has reached comical levels. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
It was 2.5 seasons though.  He doesn't deserve a video tribute.  Neither did Crowder, Bradley, or Olynyk.  This video tribute nonsense has reached comical levels.

What do you think the minimum threshold should be to earn a video tribute?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

What do you think the minimum threshold should be to earn a video tribute?

Someone that comes of as grateful, instead of someone acting like a little b*tch. IT has had multiple quotes since he has left which make me scratch my head. Is he trying to get back at an ex-gf, or is he trying to win a championship and get a big contract? I really can't tell what his motives are by his words.

Pierce has the luxury to be petty. 1) He doesn't need another contract. 2) He's one of the best Celtics ever. 3) He won a championship.

I think there should be one criterion: the player should be accepting of a tribute. If not, move on. IT didn't control his departure so he wanted control of this. Like a jilted lover. I can smell his insecurity from over a thousand miles away. It's not a good smell.

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yup, pretty much the same situation as Thomas and Pierce.  ::) ::) ::)

I assume you saw the post I responded to, which spoke specifically about winning titles.  That’s why you intentionally declined to quote it, to misrepresent what I said.  Here it is again:

You usually do a little better, koz. ::) ::) ::)
A little, but surely not much. And my point still stands. If you want to argue semantics about whether winning titles and just winning/playing together are two substantially different, be my guest. But I think you can do a bit better, too. Everyone here understands why honoring Jim O'Brien and Paul Pierce together makes sense (to give one example), and honoring Jim O'Brien and Garnett, not so much.

In my mind, there is a distinct difference between the joint honoring of guys who played and won together is not the same like slapping the tribute of a guy who had a cup of tea with the team onto the night of an all-time great. Even if it was the finest tea in the history of the team.

Additionally, Thomas isn't getting any style points for how he handled this. Maybe pick up the phone and call the team's FO? I'm pretty sure telephones still exist, and the whole situation would have probably been sorted out in half the time with a quarter of the publicity. But given how much he's tweeted about the situation, perhaps the team should just tweet the video tribute @ him and and call it a day.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."