Author Topic: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11  (Read 18452 times)

Re: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 11:48:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Am I the only one who is actually disappointed a little in Pierce with all this too?

Why? It's his night. I think its weird that 1.) A player gets to dictate when a tribute video is shown  2.) A player who's meant as much to this team as Pierce has to share his retirement night with a player who hasn't had a fraction of the franchise success he's had.

Honestly, IT should've just let them play the video a few weeks ago. The whole thing of wanting to have his family there for it was a bit much - it's a 2-3 minute tribute video, not a jersey retirement.

Yeah I can agree with the bolded part. It did seem like too much. Just fly your family in, IT.

Woah.  That's not as trivial as it sounds.  It was a mid-week game and most of his family is on the opposite coast.  It's a pretty big deal for most 'normal' folks to fly all the way from Seattle to Boston since it's a long day of travel on each side.   All Thomas was trying to do was not impose that travel burden on his family members if all it was for was to watch a short video and then see IT sit on the bench the whole game.

But apparently trying to be accommodating to his family turned Thomas into an evil, Truth-hating selfish troll in the minds of some righteously indignant types.

The IT hate is non-negotiable, classic cognitive dissonance.  IT is no longer a Celtic, therefore he has to be overrated, a villain, etc. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2018, 11:55:29 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Am I the only one who is actually disappointed a little in Pierce with all this too?

Why? It's his night. I think its weird that 1.) A player gets to dictate when a tribute video is shown  2.) A player who's meant as much to this team as Pierce has to share his retirement night with a player who hasn't had a fraction of the franchise success he's had.

Honestly, IT should've just let them play the video a few weeks ago. The whole thing of wanting to have his family there for it was a bit much - it's a 2-3 minute tribute video, not a jersey retirement.

Yeah I can agree with the bolded part. It did seem like too much. Just fly your family in, IT.

Woah.  That's not as trivial as it sounds.  It was a mid-week game and most of his family is on the opposite coast.  It's a pretty big deal for most 'normal' folks to fly all the way from Seattle to Boston since it's a long day of travel on each side.   All Thomas was trying to do was not impose that travel burden on his family members if all it was for was to watch a short video and then see IT sit on the bench the whole game.

But apparently trying to be accommodating to his family turned Thomas into an evil, Truth-hating selfish troll in the minds of some righteously indignant types.

The IT hate is non-negotiable, classic cognitive dissonance.  IT is no longer a Celtic, therefore he has to be overrated, a villain, etc.

This is such a contrived viewpoint for 90% of this forum.

I think this whole situation is on IT, because he should have just enjoyed his moment the first time they came to down.

Does that mean I hate him or think he is a villain?

There are a couple posters who don't like IT, that is certain, but 90% of this board loves the guy, and what he did for the squad.

Serious confirmation bias going on here.

I also like the sly cognitive dissonance attack in there, as if you are one of the only rational posters here.

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2018, 12:07:16 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Disagree. I haven't read much IT hate. I'm not sure what you mean by "hate", but I haven't seen anything written that resembles my understanding of the word.

I think most people here loved IT, but are happy that Kyrie is here now.

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2018, 12:44:49 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It's Pierce's night. Nothing wrong with what Pierce said.

IT shouldn't even have postponed the video tribute to Feb 11 to begin with. That video tribute should've been done on that first meeting in Boston a couple weeks ago.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2018, 01:13:03 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
KG’s thoughts..lol:

Pierce conceded that he gave his position some additional thought after his objections to a joint tribute made headlines. He says he consulted his agent, his wife, his mother and Garnett.

"Everyone understood where I was coming from," Pierce said. "KG was like, 'Isaiah who? Hell no, you're [dang] right you're not sharing your night with him.'"

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2018, 01:19:57 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
KG’s thoughts..lol:

Pierce conceded that he gave his position some additional thought after his objections to a joint tribute made headlines. He says he consulted his agent, his wife, his mother and Garnett.

"Everyone understood where I was coming from," Pierce said. "KG was like, 'Isaiah who? Hell no, you're [dang] right you're not sharing your night with him.'"

I don't think there was ever a doubt what KG's feelings on the matter would be.

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2018, 01:47:52 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
KG’s thoughts..lol:

I don't think there was ever a doubt what KG's feelings on the matter would be.

Not at all..lol. The 08’ crew had some strong feelings about this based on Tony Allen and Rondo’s responses tonight, when they were asked about the tribute. You know they’ve probably all been texting each other about the situation..lol.

If Pierce had to share his night with someone, I don’t think he would have cared at all if it was with KG.

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2018, 02:24:45 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’m trying to imagine this in a different way that maybe us normal folk could understand.

Imagine it’s your wedding and your little cousin decides to propose to his girlfriend right after the first dance.

So for a half hour or so all of your family is going up to them and congratulating them. On you and your spouse’s day. It’s not taking away from your wedding. It’s still great. But there’s that part of you that doesn’t feel you shouldn’t be the focal point all day.

If you would support your cousin proposing at your wedding, what Pierce did probably seems petty. But if you wouldn’t appreciate that, you see where Pierce is coming from.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2018, 02:26:42 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Thought this was an interesting comment I found

"This has a lot to do with how the Lakers retired Kobe's Jersey. It was pretty epic, and they literally made the entire night about Kobe!! Paul was covering the game that night and you can see he got pretty amped.

It really wasn't going to be that big of a deal, but the way they did Kobe, Paul saw how he wanted the Celts to honor him"

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2018, 02:39:37 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
How is Pierce being faulted in this? It’s his night and it would be really weird and off to honor someone else. I don’t think it’s happened before. I thought the Wedding analogy by GreenEnvy was pretty spot on.
- LilRip

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2018, 04:36:13 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Class move from a Classy player.

Love IT and will ALWAYS.

I wish him the best.

What?  He started this, didn't think it was a big deal, and then ultimately caved to negative public backlash.  Lets stop being delusional.  I wish him the best, but in this situation, and frankly his entire behavior since being traded, he's hardly the bigger man, nor a class act.

So, Riddle me this, Batman

How is it "Delusional" to have a change of heart or change of mind?

Evidently, SOMETHING made IT reconsider.

And how has his "entire behavior" made him less than a class act?

He certainly led himself in a CLASS way while in BOS.

Sure - he has been hurt by the process of it all after what happened to him and rightfully so. But since then he has stated that appreciates what BOS did for him and has stated that he has plenty of love for BOS.

My opinion of him hasn't changed at all. Still love the guy.

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2018, 05:51:52 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
There is exactly one person to blame for this and that person is Danny Ainge.  When I.T. suggested they play the video at a later date Danny's answer should have been that it is not possible as the only other time this year I.T. was to return to Boston was Pierce's retirement night and there would be nothing else on that night, period end of discussion. 

I.T. probably hadn't thought this through or made the connection to Pierce, an informed I.T. shouldn't want to distract in any way from Paul's night.  No blame should be placed on I.T. here as I think him having thought this through further he would've made the right decision.

Those people suggesting that Pierce is somehow in the wrong are mistaken.  Paul should not have to share this night.  He should not have to answer questions after regarding I.T.'s video, which are inevitable.  He should not have to see his tribute on ESPN sharing time with I.T.'s mini tribute, nor in the papers or the headlines on-line.  I don't doubt at all that the Playing of I.T.'s video on Pierce's night may very well have angered some of the fan base/players and may have caused some level of resentment towards both the Celtics and I.T., it just should have NEVER been an option.

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2018, 06:02:09 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I think IT  is in trouble with his teammates and doesn't wan tto further inflame that by showing his  best play on celtics while he is playing poorly early in recovery. .I think it is win win for both as Pierce should have focus on him and Isaiah on his new team with Boston being its direct competition.

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fanragsports.com/rajon-rondo-questions-why-celtics-would-honor-it/amp/

Rondo telling it like it is. You can call him whatever you want, but he won a title here so it adds perspective.

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2018, 06:28:36 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I’m really trying to understand all the “Paul is insecure blah..blah...blah..” Do you guys think the Lakers organization would have attempted a stunt like that on Kobe’s night? No! Matter of fact the fans wouldn’t have it. I like IT, but let’s be for real about his contributions vs Pierce’s..it’s not even a debate.

Any other former player would get called out if they made the requests that IT did.

Exactly. 

And quite frankly, its crazy to me that people are claiming he's insecure. If that were true, than Banner 17 wouldn't be in the rafters because his ego wouldn't have been able to share the light with KG and Ray.

Guys, this is one the most stories franchises in all of sports. Getting your number in the rafters next to Russell, Bird, Cousy - that's a heck of a career acheivement. To etch your name amongst those greats, it's very likely the most special moment of his career. Paul has earned the right be selfish, IMO.

Yes, and you would think that the enormity of having his numbers in the rafters, and getting his own post-game ceremony, would be enough. Instead, he demanded to be treated like Kobe, with not only his own ceremony, but an entire night dedicated to him. He refused to give up a couple of minutes of Jumbotron time to honor another, lesser Celtics hero.

It’s a far cry from guys like Cousy and Tommy, who shared their ceremony with other players.

It just makes it look like Pierce has a really fragile ego.

This is really a bad comparison. Tommy, Bob and others with them won championship together. Of course, they'll share spotlights.

If IT have won Celtics a championship, then he have a case but he didn't so the point is moot.

Even Antoine have better case since he's the one who actually played alongside Paul during the 2002 ECF run and a longer Celtic tenure than IT ever had.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:33:47 AM by mr. dee »