Author Topic: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11  (Read 18454 times)

Re: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2018, 11:06:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
IT's request was unreasonable. Pierce's lack of flexibility is annoying. Danny's lack of decisiveness made an easy decision awkward.

Main takeaway: this entire thing is dumb and we must not have had enough work today.

I agree. My intent was not to maliciously call you out, but just reiterate that he has been a polarizing figure in Boston,  esp since the trade. Even as a huge fan of his, I thought the request was borderline poor form, and it's hard not to question his intentions with all his other post-trade comments. And i find the comments of Pierce and now others to be over the top.  But whatever.  As fwf said earlier (here or elsewhere), we're in good shape as fans if this is the stuff we have to bicker about.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:13:32 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2018, 12:16:14 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Does Pierce realize that most of those great players whose numbers hang in the Garden rafters were retired with a fairly simple halftime ceremony? This whole thing is getting embarrassing. Trading Thomas, though maybe necessary, was ill-timed and a bad look for the franchise.

I love Larry Bird and consider him to be on of the five Mt. Rushmore Celtics - but his retirement ceremony was way over the top and has set a bad precedent. I was a little surprised that Bird went along with all that in the first place.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2018, 12:47:58 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Does Pierce realize that most of those great players whose numbers hang in the Garden rafters were retired with a fairly simple halftime ceremony? This whole thing is getting embarrassing. Trading Thomas, though maybe necessary, was ill-timed and a bad look for the franchise.

I love Larry Bird and consider him to be on of the five Mt. Rushmore Celtics - but his retirement ceremony was way over the top and has set a bad precedent. I was a little surprised that Bird went along with all that in the first place.

Agree all around.  Bird's was ridiculous, but I've also enjoyed the tributes of the 2008 guys.  And while I appreciate IT, the sustained camaraderie & pride of that team is pretty special imo, no matter how they use it in the press.   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:57:39 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2018, 01:39:07 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This thread was an intense read

« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2018, 06:27:50 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Seems like the drama won't stop, as Isaiah is adding fuel to the fire. After Jalen Rose called Pierce 'petty' for not allowing the Celtics to play a three minute video of Isaiah during his tribute night (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ZmELyVWxQ), Isaiah liked an Instagram post of Rose's comment toward Pierce:

Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2018, 06:42:23 AM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Seems like the drama won't stop, as Isaiah is adding fuel to the fire. After Jalen Rose called Pierce 'petty' for not allowing the Celtics to play a three minute video of Isaiah during his tribute night (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ZmELyVWxQ), Isaiah liked an Instagram post of Rose's comment toward Pierce:

That should be enough for us to simply stop caring about this guy. He is not adding fuel to a problem with Pierce, he is throwing Danny AND THE CELTICS under the bus. That´s all very negative marketing from a player from a rival team.

I have lost all appreciation I had for IT at this point.

« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2018, 07:15:57 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

https://twitter.com/NBCSBoston/status/953851263803887616

It continues

This drama never ends.

« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Meh. This is Pierce's night, he has EARNED the right to it without distractions. Want to call him petty? Go right ahead.

I wouldn't want to see a highlight reel of my 3rd cousin who I barely interact with on my wedding night either.

« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That should be enough for us to simply stop caring about this guy. He is not adding fuel to a problem with Pierce, he is throwing Danny AND THE CELTICS under the bus. That´s all very negative marketing from a player from a rival team.

I have lost all appreciation I had for IT at this point.

I think this is very much an IT vs. Pierce thing at the moment. The rest of it has been resolved. The two guys are keeping it going, and Pierce (not IT) dragged Danny into it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2018, 08:16:48 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He also requested not to play

"Don't Want No Short People "

;)

« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Celtics just totally mismanaged this whole thing putting Pierce in a bad spot. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Why do I have this funny feeling that Bron encouraged IT to create this drama. Bron doesn't want to be there and see all the praise and glory given to Pierce. So instead he gets in ITs ear and reminds him how the Celtics treated him.

Bottom line is IT had his chance Jan 3rd and passed on it. His jersey isn't getting retired and he was only with the Celtics for 2.5 years.

...it's time to move on.

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The Celtics just totally mismanaged this whole thing putting Pierce in a bad spot. 

Yes.

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
To recap:

Pierce said he didn't want a tribute to another player during his jersey retirement night and when IT realized what night that was, he agreed. That's it.

Every bit of drama attached to this story is invented by bored talking heads and oversensitive bloggers. I don't understand this need to deride and name-call every public figure who expresses a feeling.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
This not only Pierce's night but its his DAY.  He has been here forever and deserves not to share his day.
IT had his chance and cause HE decided he didnt want to do it on the 1st night back in Boston is his fault.
He could have bought plane tickets for his family to be there or the Celtics could have used the private plane and had them flown in.
I like IT but he is NOT an ALL TIME Celtic.
Thanks for the 2 years you gave us and you are welcome for the opportunity to start and become a Super Star ( no other team did that for him).