Author Topic: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11  (Read 18599 times)

Re: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Now, I just want for Pierce to not mention this again..lol. I don’t care if they ask him on the show, he needs to just say that it’s “been handled” and leave it at that. Don’t share what anyone else feels about the situation...just leave it be. With everything going on in the NBA, THIS should be a non-conversation.
Its funny you say this. Pierce just talked about it live 10 minutes at you posted this. They went hard on IT. pierce said he missed his chance. T Mac says he agreed with what rondo said. Then van Gundy said these videos shouldn't even happen unless you're a hall of fame and pierce agreed

« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2018, 08:55:18 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Its funny you say this. Pierce just talked about it live 10 minutes at you posted this. They went hard on IT. pierce said he missed his chance. T Mac says he agreed with what rondo said. Then van Gundy said these videos shouldn't even happen unless you're a hall of fame and pierce agreed

Now Pierce is just beating a dead horse and will be coming off as a jerk, when in actuality he had a right to feel the way that he feels. But he’s in the media and he’s drawing way more attention to the matter. Well I’m officially done with the situation..lol

« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2018, 09:01:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
the Isaiah Thomas trade has clouded some peoples opinions...

Somehow it is selfish for Paul pierce, who won a ring in boston and played for the team for 15 years to want a night all to himself when his number is being retired into the rafters.

Yet, it was not selfish for Isaiah Thomas, a player who played 2 1/2 years in boston to demand that his 3 minute tribute video (something the team doesnt even have to do...and its starting to get ridiculous when we give one to Olynyk...) demands that his tribute be put the same night as pierces because he wants to wait to play until he can show the Celtics they made the wrong decision...

Exactly my thoughts.  TP

« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Is it just me, or does Pierce, Rondo and some others have an agenda on IT?

Rondo's comments about Isaiah and not deserving a tribute video kind of came across as rude to me, considering Rondo wasn't even the 3rd best player on the 2008 team and this is the same Isaiah who played just a day after his sister's death. And he did do a ton for this team the past 2.5 years (recruited Horford, Hayward, and got you back Kyrie in the trade). Frankly, he put in a TON of effort every day for the C's in his time here, whereas after the Big 3 was pretty much disbanded, Rondo looked lazy and didn't play with a ton of effort (hence, his trade).

And I'm slightly disappointed with Pierce here. I agree with Jalen when he says, "is a 2-3 minute tribute video during a TV timeout really going to splash water on Pierce's ceremony that night".

THAT SAID, I do think this all could be avoided if Isaiah just let the video play the first time the two teams played @TD Garden. Just schedule for your family to come to Boston in that time range, I mean he knew months in advance that that date would be the first time he returns to TD Garden... but now it's an issue of "does Isaiah even deserve a tribute video" according to Rondo, Tracy McGrady, etc...  :(

Idk, to be honest this has just become overblown and is looking ugly for ALL sides involved.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2018, 09:33:31 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
This is on IT AND the Celtics brass.  IT You get your video when we offer it and like it.  End of story

« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
Am I the only one who is actually disappointed a little in Pierce with all this too?

I mean, I never thought he'd be that sensitive over having some 2-3 minute tribute video for Isaiah that night.

Seemed to me that once Pierce made those comments, that's what made Isaiah sort of cave in with his tweet today.

Obviously it's Pierce's night on Feb. 11, but would a 2-3 minute Isaiah tribute video have really splashed water on Pierce's night, especially if that video was played during a TV timeout or something??

Idk man... this whole thing is confusing.

Yeah. I never imagined that he was so insecure.

I guess IT did the “right thing”, but I can’t believe that it came to this.

It has zero to do with being insecure. He deserves that night SOLELY based on a full body of work and a career long commitment to this team and this organization.  It shouldn't have even been up for debate or for IT to do the 'right thing." If it's anyone's fault it got to this its the front office for even considering it on Paul's day. Paul has every right to feel how he feels.

It seems odd that in a team game, Pierce refuses to allow other Celtics players to be shown on the Jumbotron. Weirder still, he thinks he’s bigger than Danny Ainge and the organization.

Just because he’s a legend doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have a fragile ego and a petty streak.

I thought he had outgrown that, but Paul always had a bit of a diva streak.

Never thought I would see this level of disrespect for Paul on there boards.

Saddens me.

How about you talk that trash about that guy who couldn't be happy having his moment the first time he came back?

None of this is on Paul.

Literally all of this would have been avoided by IT not being picky about his video (which is absolutely unprecedented).

I honestly think a lot differently of you seeing this sort of tabloid hot take.

Yea Roy, not sure that's admin behavior I'd expect either

« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Am I the only one who is actually disappointed a little in Pierce with all this too?

I mean, I never thought he'd be that sensitive over having some 2-3 minute tribute video for Isaiah that night.

Seemed to me that once Pierce made those comments, that's what made Isaiah sort of cave in with his tweet today.

Obviously it's Pierce's night on Feb. 11, but would a 2-3 minute Isaiah tribute video have really splashed water on Pierce's night, especially if that video was played during a TV timeout or something??

It has zero to do with being insecure. He deserves that night SOLELY based on a full body of work and a career long commitment to this team and this organization.  It shouldn't have even been up for debate or for IT to do the 'right thing." If it's anyone's fault it got to this its the front office for even considering it on Paul's day. Paul has every right to feel how he feels.

It seems odd that in a team game, Pierce refuses to allow other Celtics players to be shown on the Jumbotron. Weirder still, he thinks he’s bigger than Danny Ainge and the organization.

Just because he’s a legend doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have a fragile ego and a petty streak.

Saddens me.

How about you talk that trash about that guy who couldn't be happy having his moment the first time he came back?

None of this is on Paul.

Literally all of this would have been avoided by IT not being picky about his video (which is absolutely unprecedented).

I’m curious what your standard for “admin behavior” is. We’re not running a popularity contest here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2018, 09:42:29 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
Rondo also fired a shot at IT implying that he doesn't deserve the video tribute:

Except ... Rondo is 100% wrong about what is being 'celebrated' here.  Sure, we don't hang conference titles.  We DO however celebrate players who entertained us and are fondly remembered by the fans, even if they didn't win titles.  We've done this with dozens of players.  This is fact.  Jae Crowder just got one.  Avery Bradley just got one.

A video tribute to Thomas by the Celtics would not be a celebration of reaching the ECF.  It would be a celebration of how well Thomas played while here.  Nothing more and nothing less.

I don't have fond memories of IT other than he was a ball hog and self centered

« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

Saddens me.

None of this is on Paul.

I’m curious what your standard for “admin behavior” is. We’re not running a popularity contest here.

How about staying above the fray for starters.  Your posts have been a bit antagonistic don't you think?

« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2018, 09:45:54 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Rondo also fired a shot at IT implying that he doesn't deserve the video tribute:

Except ... Rondo is 100% wrong about what is being 'celebrated' here.  Sure, we don't hang conference titles.  We DO however celebrate players who entertained us and are fondly remembered by the fans, even if they didn't win titles.  We've done this with dozens of players.  This is fact.  Jae Crowder just got one.  Avery Bradley just got one.

A video tribute to Thomas by the Celtics would not be a celebration of reaching the ECF.  It would be a celebration of how well Thomas played while here.  Nothing more and nothing less.

I don't have fond memories of IT other than he was a ball hog and self centered

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

After he quit on the team, skipped games and stopped playing defense he doesn’t have a lot of room to critique others. 

IT loved playing here and gave his heart and soul to this team. That’s what we’d be celebrating. 

If anybody didn’t deserve a tribute video, it’s Rondo, based upon the way that he dogged it on his way out of town.

We can be butt hurt about Rondo's comment, but don't act like that man didn't help contribute to the success of the Celtics. 2013 wasn't his best year with the Celtics and he had some very immature and head scratching moments, but there's no need to have selective memories of what Rondo did for the Celtics (and the community). At this point we're just being fanboys for our favorite players.

Well said!

« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I LOL'd at the Pierce pic with the bandage-thing. Been trying to find that one forever.

I LOL'd even harder at the Rondo lovers (now).

Throw him under the bus, hit the gas, stop, hit reverse, press the gas, stop, then do this about 50 times.

That has been Rajon Rondo on these boards to some people.

"Oh he doesn't play defense! And he SAID he doesn't", LOOOOOOOOL

They say politics make strange bedfellows....basketball can relate.

« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2018, 10:58:52 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Just 1 day ago:

Why? It's his night. I think its weird that 1.) A player gets to dictate when a tribute video is shown  2.) A player who's meant as much to this team as Pierce has to share his retirement night with a player who hasn't had a fraction of the franchise success he's had.

Honestly, IT should've just let them play the video a few weeks ago. The whole thing of wanting to have his family there for it was a bit much - it's a 2-3 minute tribute video, not a jersey retirement.

Yeah I can agree with the bolded part. It did seem like too much. Just fly your family in, IT.

Woah.  That's not as trivial as it sounds.  It was a mid-week game and most of his family is on the opposite coast.  It's a pretty big deal for most 'normal' folks to fly all the way from Seattle to Boston since it's a long day of travel on each side.   All Thomas was trying to do was not impose that travel burden on his family members if all it was for was to watch a short video and then see IT sit on the bench the whole game.

But apparently trying to be accommodating to his family turned Thomas into an evil, Truth-hating selfish troll in the minds of some righteously indignant types.

The IT hate is non-negotiable, classic cognitive dissonance.  IT is no longer a Celtic, therefore he has to be overrated, a villain, etc.

Disagree. I haven't read much IT hate. I'm not sure what you mean by "hate", but I haven't seen anything written that resembles my understanding of the word.

I think most people here loved IT, but are happy that Kyrie is here now.

Ironically, you've done a great job of exemplifying the hate I referred to:

It was 2.5 seasons though.  He doesn't deserve a video tribute.  Neither did Crowder, Bradley, or Olynyk.  This video tribute nonsense has reached comical levels.

What do you think the minimum threshold should be to earn a video tribute?

Someone that comes of as grateful, instead of someone acting like a little b*tch. IT has had multiple quotes since he has left which make me scratch my head. Is he trying to get back at an ex-gf, or is he trying to win a championship and get a big contract? I really can't tell what his motives are by his words.

Pierce has the luxury to be petty. 1) He doesn't need another contract. 2) He's one of the best Celtics ever. 3) He won a championship.

I think there should be one criterion: the player should be accepting of a tribute. If not, move on. IT didn't control his departure so he wanted control of this. Like a jilted lover. I can smell his insecurity from over a thousand miles away. It's not a good smell.

It was 2.5 seasons though.  He doesn't deserve a video tribute.  Neither did Crowder, Bradley, or Olynyk.  This video tribute nonsense has reached comical levels.

I don't think there is a minimum per se.  For example, if KG came here won a title in year 1, got hurt in year 2, and never played again for the C's, I would think a video would have made sense in that situation.  Thomas played 2.5 seasons and was 2-3 in playoff series, wasn't a MVP, etc.  He had some nice seasons and the ECF appearance last year was nice, but I just don't see his tenure as something that should be honored in any real way.  Crowder, Bradley, and Olynyk were all here longer than IT, but they are all much worse players and aren't worthy of a special honor because they just weren't good enough. 

When you honor everyone, you honor no one.  Video tributes should be an honor, you shouldn't just hand them out like candy on Halloween.

I agree.

I would convey this message somehow to IT if I were Danny.

Dear IT, I'm sorry that I traded you and hurt your feelings. You put it out there on the line and you feel like you weren't compensated by the Celtics like you wanted to be. At some point (I know its hard) you are going to have to realize that there are better players than you. Lebron (the big guy on your team) is better than you. Anthony Davis is better than you. Kyrie Irving is better than you. I acquired you by trading Marcus Thornton and a pick that became Skal Labissiere. I traded you and pieces for Kyrie frickin Irving. This clearly hurt your feelings, as it would many of us. What you fail to see is that I made a huge profit on these two trades. That is my job.

It's not about you. It's about team. It's about championships. That is what we celebrate here in Boston. I hope that you understand this sooner than later. I want the rest of your career to go well, and I hope you sign with a winner. Thank you for your time here. Last year's playoff run was fun to watch. We appreciate you and would love to celebrate you with a video at another time (maybe this year in the playoffs- how cool would that be). That is going to have to work for you. You can ask me again to show/not show a quick video, but I really don't care. You were part of our past, and we'd like to remember you fondly. Let's move on to the next chapter with mutual respect and composure. IT the player deserves to be remembered like this.

-Danny (aka the best GM in the league)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
IT's request was unreasonable. Pierce's lack of flexibility is annoying. Danny's lack of decisiveness made an easy decision awkward.

Main takeaway: this entire thing is dumb and we must not have had enough work today.

« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Just 1 day ago:

Why? It's his night. I think its weird that 1.) A player gets to dictate when a tribute video is shown  2.) A player who's meant as much to this team as Pierce has to share his retirement night with a player who hasn't had a fraction of the franchise success he's had.

Honestly, IT should've just let them play the video a few weeks ago. The whole thing of wanting to have his family there for it was a bit much - it's a 2-3 minute tribute video, not a jersey retirement.

Yeah I can agree with the bolded part. It did seem like too much. Just fly your family in, IT.

Woah.  That's not as trivial as it sounds.  It was a mid-week game and most of his family is on the opposite coast.  It's a pretty big deal for most 'normal' folks to fly all the way from Seattle to Boston since it's a long day of travel on each side.   All Thomas was trying to do was not impose that travel burden on his family members if all it was for was to watch a short video and then see IT sit on the bench the whole game.

But apparently trying to be accommodating to his family turned Thomas into an evil, Truth-hating selfish troll in the minds of some righteously indignant types.

The IT hate is non-negotiable, classic cognitive dissonance.  IT is no longer a Celtic, therefore he has to be overrated, a villain, etc.

Disagree. I haven't read much IT hate. I'm not sure what you mean by "hate", but I haven't seen anything written that resembles my understanding of the word.

I think most people here loved IT, but are happy that Kyrie is here now.

Ironically, you've done a great job of exemplifying the hate I referred to:

Someone that comes of as grateful, instead of someone acting like a little b*tch. IT has had multiple quotes since he has left which make me scratch my head. Is he trying to get back at an ex-gf, or is he trying to win a championship and get a big contract? I really can't tell what his motives are by his words.

Pierce has the luxury to be petty. 1) He doesn't need another contract. 2) He's one of the best Celtics ever. 3) He won a championship.

I think there should be one criterion: the player should be accepting of a tribute. If not, move on. IT didn't control his departure so he wanted control of this. Like a jilted lover. I can smell his insecurity from over a thousand miles away. It's not a good smell.

I don't think there is a minimum per se.  For example, if KG came here won a title in year 1, got hurt in year 2, and never played again for the C's, I would think a video would have made sense in that situation.  Thomas played 2.5 seasons and was 2-3 in playoff series, wasn't a MVP, etc.  He had some nice seasons and the ECF appearance last year was nice, but I just don't see his tenure as something that should be honored in any real way.  Crowder, Bradley, and Olynyk were all here longer than IT, but they are all much worse players and aren't worthy of a special honor because they just weren't good enough. 

When you honor everyone, you honor no one.  Video tributes should be an honor, you shouldn't just hand them out like candy on Halloween.

I agree.

I would convey this message somehow to IT if I were Danny.

Dear IT, I'm sorry that I traded you and hurt your feelings. You put it out there on the line and you feel like you weren't compensated by the Celtics like you wanted to be. At some point (I know its hard) you are going to have to realize that there are better players than you. Lebron (the big guy on your team) is better than you. Anthony Davis is better than you. Kyrie Irving is better than you. I acquired you by trading Marcus Thornton and a pick that became Skal Labissiere. I traded you and pieces for Kyrie frickin Irving. This clearly hurt your feelings, as it would many of us. What you fail to see is that I made a huge profit on these two trades. That is my job.

It's not about you. It's about team. It's about championships. That is what we celebrate here in Boston. I hope that you understand this sooner than later. I want the rest of your career to go well, and I hope you sign with a winner. Thank you for your time here. Last year's playoff run was fun to watch. We appreciate you and would love to celebrate you with a video at another time (maybe this year in the playoffs- how cool would that be). That is going to have to work for you. You can ask me again to show/not show a quick video, but I really don't care. You were part of our past, and we'd like to remember you fondly. Let's move on to the next chapter with mutual respect and composure. IT the player deserves to be remembered like this.

-Danny (aka the best GM in the league)

Nah. Saying someone is acting like a little b*tch and hating them are two different things. I tell my friends this all the time, esp when they're acting like one. Calling someone out and hating them are different things.

I loved IT as a Celtic. I loved Rondo too. I'm not certain I feel the same way about either anymore, but I still hold them both in high regard.