Author Topic: Kevin O'Connor has Horford as all-star starter  (Read 2757 times)

Kevin O'Connor has Horford as all-star starter
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/16/16892432/nba-2018-all-star-game-starters-ballot

Bit surprising because I don't see him even making the team at this point. I think his other 9 starters make sense. Am I being too hard on Horford? If we were dominating the east a little more I would think he had a better shot. However, Raptors are only 3 losses of us now and will probably be even closer at all-star break given our upcoming west coast trip against the clips, warriors and Denver (all tough places to win).

Re: Kevin O'Connor has Horford as all-star starter
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/16/16892432/nba-2018-all-star-game-starters-ballot

Bit surprising because I don't see him even making the team at this point. I think his other 9 starters make sense. Am I being too hard on Horford? If we were dominating the east a little more I would think he had a better shot. However, Raptors are only 3 losses of us now and will probably be even closer at all-star break given our upcoming west coast trip against the clips, warriors and Denver (all tough places to win).
Horford is a nice player and all, but including him over Embiid, Porzingis, and Love is insanity.

Speaking about insanity, how about the fact that Kuzma had more votes than both Towns and Aldridge at the second voting return?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Horford may not be a "unicorn" as the term is commonly used now, but he is a quite unusual star player. He is a genuine two way, unselfish star who is devoted first and foremost to helping his team win.  Will be start? Probably not. Should he start? He certainly has a strong argument given his contributions to the first overall team in the conference.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think Horford is definitely an All-Star, but certainly not a starter.

His box score stats won't blow you out of the water, but in the past year and a half we've seen just how integral he is to our success, especially defensively and his overall passing and playmaking.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Agreed he should get selected by the coaches, but not a starter.  Other choices looked fine though I may take KAT over Aldridge at center in the west.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yeah, I mean he's been the ultimate linch pin on this team but all star starter seems pretty extreme. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Agreed he should get selected by the coaches, but not a starter.  Other choices looked fine though I may take KAT over Aldridge at center in the west.

I made my own All Star teams yesterday and for the West I also had KAT over Aldridge. Apart from the center spots I had the same teams as this journalist.

East: Irving, DeRozan, James, Antetokounmpo, Drummond.
reserves: Wall, Oladipo, Simmons, Horford, Porzingis, Whiteside, Embiid.
just out: Walker, Beal.

West: Curry, Harden, Durant, Davis, Towns.
reserves: Westbrook, Lillard, Butler, George, Aldridge, Green, Cousins.
just out: Thompson, Jokic.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
U can't win as many games as the Celtics and only have 1 all-star.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I made my own All Star teams yesterday and for the West I also had KAT over Aldridge. Apart from the center spots I had the same teams as this journalist.

As of today the 76ers are a lottery team. How would they get 2 all-stars? They are definitely gonna give a team like Cleveland (obviously not exceeding expectations but still the 3rd/4th seed) a second all-star before the 76ers or before they shut out Beal averaging 24-4-4.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Horford is a nice player and all, but including him over Embiid, Porzingis, and Love is insanity.

Speaking about insanity, how about the fact that Kuzma had more votes than both Towns and Aldridge at the second voting return?
porzingis and Embiid are on losing teams. Horford  destroyed them in head to head meetings

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

porzingis and Embiid are on losing teams. Horford  destroyed them in head to head meetings
Horford only "destroys" Embiid because we stick Baynes on him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
U can't win as many games as the Celtics and only have 1 all-star.
Sure you can.  Has happened quite a bit historically. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

As of today the 76ers are a lottery team. How would they get 2 all-stars? They are definitely gonna give a team like Cleveland (obviously not exceeding expectations but still the 3rd/4th seed) a second all-star before the 76ers or before they shut out Beal averaging 24-4-4.

Yeah I agree. Sure, Embiid can be an all-star, but having Simmons as well? Nope, you need a better record to justify your team having a second all-star.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

For this season, I'd rather have Horford than anyone mentioned. He is the most important player on the best team in the East in which his salary represents about a third of the total payroll. His contribution offensively and defensively in our current scheme cannot be replaced by anyone outside of Karl Anthony Towns <--- the only player I'd trade for this season.

Not insanity for Kuzma. It's a popularity contest and a lot of Lakers fans compared to objective people / timberwolves fans.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 05:08:43 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don’t see how a 34-10 team can only have one all-star, unless you want to hand him the MVP right now.

Horford will make it as a reserve.
CELTICS 2024