Author Topic: McMenanim: Cavs players don't think current roster can compete (Merged)  (Read 25366 times)

Re: McMenanim: Cavs players don't think current roster can compete (Merged)
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I’ve been calling for them to move back to that lineup for some time now. It’s pretty crazy that it’s taken Lue this long to make that change since TT has been back.

« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I’ve been calling for them to move back to that lineup for some time now. It’s pretty crazy that it’s taken Lue this long to make that change since TT has been back.

Me too..

If anyone thinks Crowder and Love are going to somehow become fantastic defenders outside of their position, then whoever thought of that is smoking some really good fantastic herb.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Ty Lue says Tristan Thompson will start at center, Kevin Love goes back to the 4 and Jae Crowder will come off the bench.

https://twitter.com/JasonLloydNBA/status/956585467427815430

That may help them. Same lineup as last season with IT instead of Kyrie. This is what I thought would be the lineup from the moment IT was healthy enough. I always thought Jae would be LBJs backup.

I think this has a shot at working, but I also am really questioning whether TT is not focused on basetball living the Kardashian life. His advanced stats were terrible pre-injury
His rates/percentages are all about the same as last year.

I'm taking this from the Cavs forum, but these stats are from before his recent return:

With Thompson (>10min):
Record: 7-14
PF: 105.3
PA: 112
Diff: -6.7

Without Thompson (<10min):
Record: 19-3
PF: 113.5
PA: 105.7
Diff: +7.8

There is a reason all the Cavs fan have turned on this guy... (http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/tristan-thompson.38304/page-1259)

Lots of greats stats on him this year in that thread. Do you just argue anything I say at this point regardless of what you really think? I feel like i could say this sky looks blue today and you would tell me because the blue light from the sun's rays bends more than red light.

For fun, some cavs quotes on Thompson:

"The correlation between TT coming back and the complete demise of what we saw before he came back in terms of ball movement and beautiful offensive sets, and solid team defense, can't be understated.

TT is just a horrible fit for this team, period. Add to that the attempt to integrate the horribly failing IT and you get the kinds of losses and blow-outs we've been witnessing.

They can't move this guy off the team soon enough. Get a real rim protector who can score even a little (besides put-backs) and it changes the entire dynamic of the team."

"Our time with TT has ended - trade him. There's got to be some value for him out there. Sell the point that he's "a great offensive rebounder" and neglect to tell them he has awful hands / can't shoot / horrific at free throws and I'm sure we'll find a deal!"

"TTs number are fools gold. Even when he occasionally has games now that he gets some offensive rebounds he has so many negatives that it off sets what he does. Literally, how many times does he miss point blank shots at the rim if the dunk isn't there? He misses defensive assignments (yes everyone on this team does but he has nothing else to offer), and he is not a good defensive rebounder no matter what anyone says. Just watch the game.

He is a see ball, go get ball type of rebounder which works on the offensive boards, but getting position and boxing your man out before releasing to get the ball is the way to get defensive rebounds. Watch TT in a crowd when the other teams shot goes up and lots of times he isn't making contact with anyone then goes after the rebound. Maybe bigger more athletic people like DJ can get away with this."

"I really wonder if there are any teams out there that will look at him and say "this is a guy we can turn back into an offensive rebounding force." He had a couple positive attributes that really worked for him: o rebounding, being able to move laterally for switching purposes, blocking the occasional shot, and good hands for lobs at the rim. In virtually every other way, he was a mediocre basketball player. Now, most of the positives have massively eroded. Who's going to want him, even if his salary was half what it currently is?"

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:03:13 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2018, 03:38:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
That TT contract was the beginning of the end.

« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

At the end of the day, it's all Lebron's fault anyways...

« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yes it was. The Thompson contract, the JR Smith contract, Lue as head coach, and even trading Wiggins for Love were all because of what Lebron wanted. Signing Wade was likely also due to Lebron.

« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

Yes it was. The Thompson contract, the JR Smith contract, Lue as head coach, and even trading Wiggins for Love were all because of what Lebron wanted. Signing Wade was likely also due to Lebron.

pretty much this. Lebron wants to be the coach and GM. Those contracts including the one to Korver were given because LEBRON pushed for them. they also fired Blatt because he wasnt a puppet like Lue.

now they are stuck with an old/disjointed roster with a horrible coach.

« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2018, 05:11:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

pretty much this. Lebron wants to be the coach and GM. Those contracts including the one to Korver were given because LEBRON pushed for them. they also fired Blatt because he wasnt a puppet like Lue.

now they are stuck with an old/disjointed roster with a horrible coach.

Thing is I don't think Lebron will ever make a good coach or GM.

Just like Kobe, Lebron reminds me of too much of an egotistical maniac. And pretty sure he would seek validation from his peers through negative reinforcement.

« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

I wonder if the same happened with Shumpert’s contract.

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I wonder if the same happened with Shumpert’s contract.

it certainly feels like Lebron is his own worst enemy right now.

« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2018, 05:53:03 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Kyrie forced his way out of that city for reasons that appear to becoming clearer by the day. Imagine being a player on a team with a few more years left on your contract and the superstar, Lebron, that got you here or that you came here to play with, is in the last year of his deal and is not committing to staying. Plus, his super ego cannot be the easiest to deal with. That truly must inspire you to want to play as hard as possible with him night in and night out.

Yes, I know they are professionals but they are also human beings. I know if I would leave my current company and go work with an another all-star CEO(my CEO is amazing by the way) and then I signed on for a few year commitment and then found out the CEO that brought me to them, is leaving before I leave, it would not exactly make me feel more motivated. Human nature would make you feel misled or deceived and dejected.

IT loved Boston, most of us, loved him. He then got dumped on them for an amazing player, Kyrie...Now he is 2nd fiddle or maybe even 3rd, to Lebron, King of wherever he goes. He landed on a team with major defensive deficiencies that magnify his even more on that side of the ball. He is not allowed to shoot the ball a zillion times per game anymore and he is on his way to being a free agent. Sounds like fun. Plus, it is Lebron's team(as it should be) and not a "Celtics" team where he can shine like the star he became in our city. Plus, he had a coach who crafted perfect game plans to  magnify his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Crowder, a tough, grind it out kind of player lands on a new team with no consistent defense. He grew into his own in Boston and now he is on Lebron's team, not a Celtics "team"- Plus, his skills seem to be off the past year or so.

Love has never been comfortable on that team. He too, went from first fiddle to third fiddle since he has been there and every time something goes wrong, he seems to get the wrath of other players or the King himself. Stay out of the lane Love, it is Lebron's property...

Unfortunately though, they do still have the King of everything  and when the playoffs roll around, his inner fire will take over most games. Only a true team  of grit and schemes will be able to take them out and that team will need a 4th quarter silencer who rises up in big times (cough...Kyrie...cough....). The difference though as of now, is that Lebron's team defense has gotten noticeably worse as of now...they are a great coach and team away from ending his streak of a zillion finals in a row. One can hope  8)

« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2018, 06:45:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Tristan thompson on the utopia known as the cavs locker room:

Thompson's answer when asked about the current state of Cavs' locker room was far more revealing.

"Finger-pointing? Just because y'all are reporting everything doesn't mean that's facts, unless someone was in there snitching," Thompson said in references to multiple reports about a fiery team meeting the Cavs had before practice Monday. "But I wouldn't say it's finger-pointing. I think we all have to be better. Everyone has to look in the mirror and be 1 percent better for the team. That will help us out a lot."

Thompson went on to say that team camaraderie is overblown in the results-driven NBA.

"I mean, you go to work every day, and you might not like a guy," Thompson said. "You might not like the guy you work with. So it's part of life, but at the end of the day when we're between these lines, we got to play for one another and that's all that matters. I don't care if X don't like X off the court. I really don't give a s---. As long as you're on the court playing hard and playing for each other, that's all that matters to me. We don't got to talk to each other off the court. As long as we talk on the court, on the defensive end, that's all that matters to me."

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2018, 07:31:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Thompson's answer when asked about the current state of Cavs' locker room was far more revealing.

"Finger-pointing? Just because y'all are reporting everything doesn't mean that's facts, unless someone was in there snitching," Thompson said in references to multiple reports about a fiery team meeting the Cavs had before practice Monday. "But I wouldn't say it's finger-pointing. I think we all have to be better. Everyone has to look in the mirror and be 1 percent better for the team. That will help us out a lot."

Thompson went on to say that team camaraderie is overblown in the results-driven NBA.

"I mean, you go to work every day, and you might not like a guy," Thompson said. "You might not like the guy you work with. So it's part of life, but at the end of the day when we're between these lines, we got to play for one another and that's all that matters. I don't care if X don't like X off the court. I really don't give a s---. As long as you're on the court playing hard and playing for each other, that's all that matters to me. We don't got to talk to each other off the court. As long as we talk on the court, on the defensive end, that's all that matters to me."

Only 1 percent?

« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2018, 08:26:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Only 1 percent?
That falls inline with the Cavs belief they aren't that far away and just need a few changes.  It may be an incorrect belief, but they seem to believe they are pretty close to where they need to be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There are so many competing agendas.

One report says Lebron didn’t want Kyrie traded, and told management to call his bluff. Another says Lebron is angry because he wanted the Cavs to trade for George and Bledsoe.

It’s a toxic circus.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes