Author Topic: Lakers Pick could force us to let Smart walk in FA  (Read 2944 times)

Re: Lakers Pick could force us to let Smart walk in FA
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The luxury tax is coming, the pick by itself does not affect the keeping Smart, but it's likely that we won't keep him given the need to spend cap elsewhere on more productive players. This assumes ownership is willing to go into the luxury tax, which is my understanding, and they're not willing to spend wildly like Dan Gilbert in Cleveland, which is my guess.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 03:34:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Smart staying or going depends completely on the size of the contract he gets.   

All it takes is one team to see him as their high level starter and he is gone.   Celtics can not afford to pay that much for the backup pg/sg.  Especially when they still have another on a rookie contract. 

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All it takes is one team to see him as their high level starter and he is gone.   Celtics can not afford to pay that much for the backup pg/sg.  Especially when they still have another on a rookie contract.

This is true.   Caveat Emptor eh?

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 12:25:51 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
To win titles, you have to spend money. I don't suggest following Cleveland's model either, but i've always considered Smart to be the type of role player that every championship team has (Posey, Iguadola, JR Smith, Artest, Rodman). Marcus Smart's biggest problem, as I see it, is that his coach won't tell him to stop shooting so many 3-pointers.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 01:16:17 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Again with the stupid tax  ::)
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio