Author Topic: If you are the Cavs gm, do you use 2018 Nets 1st to upgrade team?  (Read 6159 times)

Re: If you are the Cavs gm, do you use 2018 Nets 1st to upgrade team?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd probably just keep the pick.  Worst case, you have some insurance if Lebron skips town again.

Also, how many realistic trade packages out there including the BKN pick will actually get them over the top against GSW? 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd probably just keep the pick.  Worst case, you have some insurance if Lebron skips town again.

Also, how many realistic trade packages out there including the BKN pick will actually get them over the top against GSW?
I think it depends on who actually becomes available and how far you think they are away from GS.  They were up 7 at the half yesterday after all against a full squad GS.  If you think that is indicative of how close they are, then the right couple of trades, could get them over the top.  If you think they are a lot further than that away, then yeah there probably isn't a trade out there that gets them over the top except perhaps Cousins or George (if either became available). 

What I think is more realistic is them swapping out some role players for different types of role players.  They have too many similar offensive oriented players and not enough gritty defensive types.  If they can figure out a way to change some of those players out, I think that gives them a much better shot this year and allows them to keep the BKN pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Sad to say for them but really they have to ask Lebron. If he says use it, I'm staying and I want to better the team now or I'm gone than there's your answer.

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 09:43:37 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think the Cavs will do what they always do - kiss LeBUM's butt and trade the pick at the trade deadline to try to go for it this year and pray LeBUM stays.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think if you can trade that pick for a guy under contract and fits the need of an upgrade like Gasol then you make a deal. Even if LeBron leaves IT, Love and Gasol would be a legit core to a playoff team for 3 to 5 years. That beats rebuilding.

I would not however gamble on a guy staying knowing LeBron may walk as well. That's too much to lose.

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
If Blake Griffin is really available I might do something like this if I'm the Cavs GM

Griffin, Gallinari, W. Johnson

for

Love, Smith, Shumpert, Frye, BKN 1st

I think that cleans up the Cavs roster a bit and makes them better.  Plus, with Griffin signed long term it provides great value for the BKN pick such that trading it isn't as damaging. 

LA gets to re-set a bit, but Love provides them a good starting point, plus they pick up the BKN pick, and shave a lot of money off the books both this year (getting them away from the tax) and long term.   

Post-Trade the Cavs are (with an open roster spot)

PG - Thomas, Calderon, Rose
SG - Johnson, Wade
SF - James, Korver, Green, Osman
PF - Griffin, Crowder, Gallinari
C - Thompson, Zizic

Gives the Cavs a more dynamic power forward, provides a better defender on the wing, and upgrades the bench shooting.  They still have all sorts of roster/lineup options as well.  Cavs with that team should come out of the East, and while GS would be favored, I think that team gets the Cavs within striking distance.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:49:37 AM by Moranis »

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 12:13:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If Blake Griffin is really available I might do something like this if I'm the Cavs GM

for

I think that cleans up the Cavs roster a bit and makes them better.  Plus, with Griffin signed long term it provides great value for the BKN pick such that trading it isn't as damaging. 

LA gets to re-set a bit, but Love provides them a good starting point, plus they pick up the BKN pick, and shave a lot of money off the books both this year (getting them away from the tax) and long term.   

SG - Johnson, Wade
C - Thompson, Zizic

Gives the Cavs a more dynamic power forward, provides a better defender on the wing, and upgrades the bench shooting.  They still have all sorts of roster/lineup options as well.  Cavs with that team should come out of the East, and while GS would be favored, I think that team gets the Cavs within striking distance.

The clippers have won 12 out of 15 to climb to the 7 seed. Tough to think they want to blow that up after waiting all season for their guys to get healthy.

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

for

SG - Johnson, Wade
C - Thompson, Zizic

The clippers have won 12 out of 15 to climb to the 7 seed. Tough to think they want to blow that up after waiting all season for their guys to get healthy.
Fair point, though I'm not sure how much of a setback it actually is, considering Love is both a very good player and generally more healthy than Griffin.  Smith, Frye, and Shumpert aren't as collectively good as Gallinari and Johnson (though Gallo has been pretty bad on the whole this year), but they are still generally quality NBA players so I don't think this would necessarily mean the Clippers are giving up on the season or giving up on making the playoffs. 

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

for

SG - Johnson, Wade
C - Thompson, Zizic

Fair point, though I'm not sure how much of a setback it actually is, considering Love is both a very good player and generally more healthy than Griffin.  Smith, Frye, and Shumpert aren't as collectively good as Gallinari and Johnson (though Gallo has been pretty bad on the whole this year), but they are still generally quality NBA players so I don't think this would necessarily mean the Clippers are giving up on the season or giving up on making the playoffs.

I don't think that Love is the same caliber of player as Blake for two reasons. 1) Blake is definitely a stronger defender 2) Blake is a lot better at getting his own shot and more versatile defensively.

Also, for the same reason it was really unlikely we would trade Horford last year or Blake this year, teams really don't ever trade guys immediately after they sign a 5 year contract extension. (To say nothing of the fact that they just also did a sign and trade for gallo this past off-season) It is bad for business. The fact that they offered him a 5 year 173 million dollar contract this past off-season is pretty indicative of the direction they want to go as a franchise. The fact that they are now talking about resigning Williams for two years adds further credence to that. If anything, Doc Rivers may want to be a buyer to see just how far this team goes with Milo, Jordan, Williams, Blake, Rivers and team all healthy. When everyone has been healthy they have actually been quite good.

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:06 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
That pick is not going to give them anything that enables them to beat Boston or GS. They must keep the pick to rebuild when LJ leaves

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
That pick is not going to give them anything that enables them to beat Boston or GS. They must keep the pick to rebuild when LJ leaves

That is a very strong take. I don't think Boston is (that much) better yet.

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The Cavalier organization is better served trading some of their players now and building for the future. Would LeBron be willing to talk to the GM about his future? If he wants to stay, then make some tweaks to the roster. If he wants to explore the open market, is he open to being traded to a contender this season? As a token for his honesty about wanting to leave, then the team can take the hit for moving on from LeBron (instead of LeBron looking bad twice).

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

That is a very strong take. I don't think Boston is (that much) better yet.

Maybe...but Boston does have the DPE still to use and maybe, just maybe Hayward returns by the playoffs...And Boston is younger and actually defends....has a better coach...but the Cavs have Lebron...but he just might not be enough with this group

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
The Cavalier organization is better served trading some of their players now and building for the future. Would LeBron be willing to talk to the GM about his future? If he wants to stay, then make some tweaks to the roster. If he wants to explore the open market, is he open to being traded to a contender this season? As a token for his honesty about wanting to leave, then the team can take the hit for moving on from LeBron (instead of LeBron looking bad twice).

This is what should happen and would be best for everyone involved. Lebron is truly holding that franchise hostage right now.

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2018, 03:06:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Agreed (though not sure about Boston). If Brooklyn were clearly the worst team in the league, then maybe they could trade it for some legit help.  But as it is that pick could land anywhere from 1 to 10, and no team will give up much for that much uncertainty.

So the Cave should keep the pick and pray for another Nets injury and hope the pick lands between 1 and 6...which at the worst (#6) would land them Porter, Trae Young, Doncic or Bamba.  s

No way to beat the Warriors this year and no way to get better enough next year.  If it were possible the franchise would best off trading Lebron (might as well add Wade too) right now. 

Teams with pieces (and/or picks) to give that could become contenders this year by adding Lebron/Wade:   1. Denver  2. Portland 3. Milwaukee

(not saying Cave can get equal value for Lebron, they can't.  Just a different way to start over than letting him walk away.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:15:23 PM by wiley »