Author Topic: If you are the Cavs gm, do you use 2018 Nets 1st to upgrade team?  (Read 6153 times)

Re: If you are the Cavs gm, do you use 2018 Nets 1st to upgrade team?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 01:40:17 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think if I am the Cavs GM I see if that pick will help me get anyone significant.  If it does, I use the pick and try to eek one more title run out of this crew.  There hasn't been a final word as to what Lebron James is going to do.  He is the best player in the world, you do whatever you can to try and keep him, including dealing that Nets pick for more help this year.

As green_bballers13 said, if Lebron leaves Clev will be getting their own high picks in the years to come to rebuild.  Worry about that after Lebron leaves.  Do everything you can to keep him while he is there.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 01:56:09 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The only player I think would give them a chance to win a title that may become available is cousins. Nobody else closes the gap.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 02:15:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The only player I think would give them a chance to win a title that may become available is cousins. Nobody else closes the gap.
Pretty much agree with this, guys like PG simply aren't available.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I would if it games the Cavs the fire power needed to legitimately match up with the warriors. The problem is (and another feather in DA's cap) is the fact that wings are at a premium in the league and that's the position the Cavs really need help at to match-up. With no real available wing target that warrants the Nets pick (even if its 10-14) I would actually try for the following.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9cx8x55

To Cavs Bazemore and Dedmon

To ATL Smith, Shumpert, Zizic, and Cavs 2018 1st

Cavs, this trade makes sense with or without Lebron next season. If Lebron leaves the Cavs will have IT (assuming resigns), Bazemore, Crowder, Love and Thompson along with the Nets lottery pick. This is a roster that can still be relevant in the east for the next 2-3 years. While over paid Bazmore will provide this team with an upgrade and most importantly better defender at the 2-3. Dedmon while likely only a 1 year rental is having a great year and has added the 3pt shot to his game and is likely a better fit then a big name center like D Jordan.

ATL, They move Bazemore's contract off their books and replace him with a 3 mill cheaper all be it inferior and older player in Smith. I would suspect Smith would be a buyout candidate in this trade scenario. Shumpert when healthy may fit into Bazemore role and provide a cheaper short contract wing option. The real value in this trade is the acquisition of Zizic and the pick (currently 24th).   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Just getting rid of JR Smith would help the team regardless of who came back. Smith is like cancer.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 07:43:53 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Just getting rid of JR Smith would help the team regardless of who came back. Smith is like cancer.

Getting rid of Thompson would help a lot too.

I would trade the pick. Maybe to Orlando? They have a couple of good players and want to rebuild. How about a big trade that gives new life to the team?

To Cleveland: Fournier, Biyombo, Mack, Simmons, Speights
To Orlando: Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Osman, Zizic, Brooklyn Pick

Cleveland would get a reliable 3-point-shooting SG (Fournier), an athletic forward with good defense (Simmons), rim protector as back-up center (Biyombo), veteran back-up PG (Mack) and a stretch big (Speigths). They will be incredibly deep and so many options to throw at teams. Fournier and Simmons are also valuable for the long term.

Orlando has to eat some bad contracts, but in 2,5 years that will open a lot of cap space at once for free agency in 2020. They get worse which is good for their pick. Obviously the price is the Nets pick, but they also get some minor pieces with Zizic and Osman. They could also have traded Vucevic here, but I thought that would be too much.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, I would save it to rebuild once LeBron leaves.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Getting rid of Thompson would help a lot too.

I would trade the pick. Maybe to Orlando? They have a couple of good players and want to rebuild. How about a big trade that gives new life to the team?

To Cleveland: Fournier, Biyombo, Mack, Simmons, Speights
To Orlando: Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Osman, Zizic, Brooklyn Pick

Cleveland would get a reliable 3-point-shooting SG (Fournier), an athletic forward with good defense (Simmons), rim protector as back-up center (Biyombo), veteran back-up PG (Mack) and a stretch big (Speigths). They will be incredibly deep and so many options to throw at teams. Fournier and Simmons are also valuable for the long term.

Orlando has to eat some bad contracts, but in 2,5 years that will open a lot of cap space at once for free agency in 2020. They get worse which is good for their pick. Obviously the price is the Nets pick, but they also get some minor pieces with Zizic and Osman. They could also have traded Vucevic here, but I thought that would be too much.
Orlando is also the team I would be eyeing with that pick. Orlando has some young assets that this old Cleveland team needs but Orlando is also bad without a path forward. If they think this core isn't going to develop into a contender (spoiler alert: it won't) maybe they're open to letting some of those pieces go.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Yes, but only if the player traded for can easily be flipped again for a lottery pick.  The pick will most likely be in the 6 to 10 range so it’s not likely you are getting a franchise altering talent.  Plus you don’t get many chances to win it all.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would do it if I were them. The whole point of playing in the NBA is to compete for a championship and the Cavs are pretty close (should be closer). The player they draft with that pick may one day help them get back to the NBA Finals; being able to trade that pick for a 'guaranteed' chance at a ring is a risk you have to take. As others have said, they will soon be bad enough to acquire their own high draft picks.

But, also, I really don't care or feel bad for them. They already had this powerhouse roster and then added Jeff Green, Dwyane Wade, and Derrick Rose on vet minimum contracts - what other team (besides GSW) has the luxury of driving up their pay roll beyond belief and is still able to add very quality players for next-to-nothing? Lebron complains about not having enough help, but he already has every advantage in the world given to him. I hate what Durant did to the league in joining GSW, but it is wonderful knowing that Lebron will likely go without another championship for the rest of his career (unless he joins GSW).

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If there was someone available that could help the team and was worth that price, yes.

I still think Lebron stays in Cleveland.   I don' think he wants to end his career dealing with the LA Ball issue (not to mention the weak state of the team)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:11:23 AM by wdleehi »

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
As with all trades, it depends on the return.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If I was CLE, I would trade the pick and Thompson to NOP for Cousins and then make one last run with LeBron.  If LeBron leaves (and likely IT and Wade), that one pick isn't going to mean squat in trying to rebuild.  This is likely their last hurrah so might as well go all in.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 09:17:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If I was CLE, I would trade the pick and Thompson to NOP for Cousins and then make one last run with LeBron.  If LeBron leaves (and likely IT and Wade), that one pick isn't going to mean squat in trying to rebuild.  This is likely their last hurrah so might as well go all in.

But does NOP do it?   They are on the verge of being in the playoffs at last.   Why take a step back at this point?   

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 09:18:05 AM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I'd personally try trading Lebron, but that won't happen.

Which leaves the challenge doing all you can this year with a hope of extending the window with Lebron as long as possible.  The Brooklyn pick is not enough of a sure thing to count as "help" for Lebron to win in comparison to trading for more immediately ready help.

A few ideas:
To LAC: Frye, Shumpert, JR Smith, BKN 18, (and other picks?)
To CLE: Deandre Jordan, Lou Williams
Why? Deandre fills a need and has 2 years left, possibly enticing James to resign for 1 year and run it back when they lose to GSW

To MEM: Frye, JR Smith, BKN 18, (and other picks?)
To CLE: Gasol
Why? Gasol is rumored to want out and Memphis ain't going anywhere.  Gasol would be a bit duplicative of Love but versatile enough to be C to Love's stretch-4.

To LAL: Shumpert, JR Smith, BKN 18
To CLE: B Lopez
Why? Lopez is on the outs in LAL and they are hoping to continue rebuilding with picks (and probably planning to lose their own pick this year).  I don't think Lopez is worth the BK18 and I don't think LAL would want Shumpert and Smith contracts, but they'd get the BKN pick which some dumb GMs are still high on.

And my personal favorite from a narrative sense
To MEM: JR Smith, Frye, Tony Parker, BKN 18
To SAS: Shumpert, Chandler Parsons, Tyreke Evans, CLE 18
To CLE: The Gasol Brothers
Why? No way Tony gets traded, but Memphis would get 2 expirings and the BKN18 (while needing to absorb Smith's contract, SAS gets an extra pick and a challenge to see if Pop can resurrect Parsons and make functional consistent use of Tyreke, and Cleveland gets the Gasol brothers.  LOL.

Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/