Author Topic: Can you imagine..  (Read 3512 times)

Can you imagine..
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
What our season would look like if we drafted Fultz, kept IT, and Hayward got injured?  I shutter at the very thought.

And, that’s the scenario most around here would have preferred by a mile.

Re: Can you imagine..
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
"Most" is strong. I remember it being very split on IT. Then a land slide when it was reported he would be out a while. Same goes with the draft people liked Tatum at 3 they just didn't like pick protection.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:38:10 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
"Most" is strong. I remember it being very split on IT. Then a land slide when it was reported he would be out a while. Same goes with the draft people liked Tatum at 3 they just didn't like pick protection.
I think most, of taken literally is accurate.  The most frequently mentioned point regarding the Kyrie trade was giving up the unprotected Brooklyn pick by a mile.  Most people hated it and would not have done it.  How much time did we spend debating that IT and Kyrie are equal players? I don’t think it ever became a landslide before the season started.

As for fultz, the beginning most people thought we we getting TWO philly picks and were okay with it.  Once folks found out it was only one pick and it was protected people wanted DA drawn and quartered.

So yeah, most.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
What our season would look like if we drafted Fultz, kept IT, and Hayward got injured?  I shutter at the very thought.

And, that’s the scenario most around here would have preferred by a mile.

It would have been bad if that was what we did. Although CBS would have them playing hard we probably would be fight for a 7 or 8 seed. I wonder if Danny would have still drafted Tatum with #1 if he didn't fleece the 76ers. I was one who preferred the Kyrie for IT swap based on contracts, size and ability even though it meant giving up the pick and the other players. I really don't miss Crowder at all and his sulking. I do miss IT a lot but I just don't think (healthy or not) he could deliver us to the promised land. I did overvalue Zizic and Theis is far superior to Zizic. In hindsight a "great" trade by Danny IMO. Plus if he didn't trade IT then I think it would have been a much messier finish when it was time to offer IT a contract going forward.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hayward probably doesn’t get injured if we don’t make the Kyrie trade. Having Fultz instead of Tatum would be a bummer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm trying to imagine next season when Hayward is back to playing and Tatum and Brown have another year of nba play.  Who is coming off the bench out of those three???

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 12:58:40 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Hayward probably doesn’t get injured if we don’t make the Kyrie trade. Having Fultz instead of Tatum would be a bummer.

or Hayward is set to be injured whether the trade happens or not, if you subscribe to that theory.

Its actual better to discuss what ifs having certain events as constants, than open a whole can of worms by theorizing every single causality in a scenario. Who knows, if IT does not get traded he steps on a pebble somewhere that would start a chain that would make the NBA cease to exist.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
well, since we are imagining in this thread, i would imagine something such as this for the celtics 2018-19 line up...

starters:
horford
irving
hayward
tatum
brown

bench:
smart
rozier
baynes
theis
morris - if not gone

deep bench:
ojeleye
draft picks, though if it is #2-5 next draft, maybe move to bench category
larkin
yabusele
who cares?

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

or Hayward is set to be injured whether the trade happens or not, if you subscribe to that theory.

Its actual better to discuss what ifs having certain events as constants, than open a whole can of worms by theorizing every single causality in a scenario. Who knows, if IT does not get traded he steps on a pebble somewhere that would start a chain that would make the NBA cease to exist.

Well, since Kyrie threw the pass and Crowder made defensive contact, I feel pretty comfortable that it wouldn’t have happened. We don’t need to go down the Butterfly Effect rabbit hole too far to know that Kyrie and Jae were essential to that injury.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yeah, blame Kyrie for Hayward's injury. REALLY smart thinking!!

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 02:32:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, blame Kyrie for Hayward's injury. REALLY smart thinking!!

I didn’t blame Kyrie. I said he was part of the play, as was Crowder.

If you take those two off of their respective teams, the play doesn’t happen.

But yes, being able to use logic to the slightest degree is, in fact, “smart thinking”. I appreciate you noticing. TP!

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
One of the blessings in disguise is that Hayward's temporary loss has enabled Kyrie as the MVP candidate that he is and a Bonafide leader of this team.

It's also enabled Jayson Tatum to grow - and boy has he.

It's also enabled Jaylen Brown to step up more.

Who would've EVER thought that ANYONE here would be AGAINST trading Jayson Tatum for AD? That would've been simply unheard of a few months ago.

Now? Not so much. Jayson Tatum has some unicorn in him.

When we get Hayward back next year (or even THIS year)?

THAT is going to be a sight to behold.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:00:31 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
TP for the OP

There's so much luck involved in this stuff. Ainge is one of the best GM's in the business and I feel lucky he's steering the ship but he easily could've made a series of totally defensible decisions this summer that would've resulted in a frustrating season. Now, the Celtics are the best team in the East with a bright future ahead of them.

I feel pretty grateful to be able to root for this team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Well, since Kyrie threw the pass and Crowder made defensive contact, I feel pretty comfortable that it wouldn’t have happened. We don’t need to go down the Butterfly Effect rabbit hole too far to know that Kyrie and Jae were essential to that injury.

Lebron threw him to the floor as Crowder submarined him.
It was dirty as hell.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP - this is how I remember it, too (and I am sure there are many threads to back this up). It is definitely a scenario that could have happened, but not one that most people preferred. Actually, scratch that, Ainge was always taking Tatum so although we would not have the Lakers/Sac pick, we would still have Tatum over Fultz.