Author Topic: Anthony Bennett (Merged threads)  (Read 7748 times)

Anthony Bennett (Merged threads)
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:38:58 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Seems to be hitting his threes and looks like he should impress at showcase.I have seen some games and he doesn't look out of shape or lost.Its showcase time as coaches get a look at G league talent..
Any views on Bennett as a bench guy ,a big body that can shoot.
Can he get a 10 day call up?
The Red Claws traded for him ,Brad spotlighted him briefly.Somebody has been watching.
Now don't take this as an endorsement-just post of curiosity with hope there will be a reply from somebody who watches or goes to Red Claw games.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:38:43 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Anthony Bennett ????
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:26:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't think he has the head for the NBA. He's a kid who was always bigger than everyone else but he met his physical match in the NBA and can't deal with it.  I have no hope he can be a legit NBA player.  Caveat: This is personal speculation only, don't ask me to support it.

Develop Yabu instead.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not dominating at that level does not bode well for his NBA return.

http://gleague.nba.com/player/anthony-bennett/

12 PG and 6 rebounds against G leaguers.   Please do tell how that is going to do well in the NBA when Mickey about doubled the PPG and could not crack the NBA rotation.

Even guys who do much better do not do well when called up always.   I know hope springs eternal.   I think they rolled the dice, cheap G league trade with no risk but it is darn clear that there is not much reward either.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Like see him on the roster and see how he does
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I feel bad for the guy. Got drafted too high by a dumb team and the expectations were enormous.

Pulling for the guy. It would make a nice story.

Cs have nothing to lose here by keeping him and trying to develop him in their system in the G League

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

12 PG and 6 rebounds against G leaguers.   Please do tell how that is going to do well in the NBA when Mickey about doubled the PPG and could not crack the NBA rotation.

Even guys who do much better do not do well when called up always.   I know hope springs eternal.   I think they rolled the dice, cheap G league trade with no risk but it is darn clear that there is not much reward either.
This.  Those are terrible numbers for someone hoping to get to the league.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
He has been through quite a few teams-he needs to really be in tip top shape-he is hitting 45% of threes
The celts now have semi and Yabusele.
The benefit of this signing is an extended look.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I haven't watched too much G/D League but what I have watched has led me to believe its a bit like the summer league and the raw stats heavily favor ball handlers and 3 point shooters.  Now his body of work so far as a pro, that's another story.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I haven't watched too much G/D League but what I have watched has led me to believe its a bit like the summer league and the raw stats heavily favor ball handlers and 3 point shooters.  Now his body of work so far as a pro, that's another story.
Jordan Mickey is dang near a 20-10 guy in the g league.  James Young a 20-6 guy.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Jordan Mickey is dang near a 20-10 guy in the g league.  James Young a 20-6 guy.
To be fair, he did just get traded to the Red Claws a couple of weeks ago. Still needs to get acclimated to new system, etc. Onyl playing about 22 mins ago so gar for Red Claws. He apparently looked great at the showcase. Looks likes he's scored 20+ pts, 10+ rbs in his last 2 games.

I'm not expecting much but willing to give him some time to see what he's got.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:50:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i do not hold out high hopes for bennett given his performance as a pro so far. however, he was slated to go as a lottery pick by many teams and he does have physical ability, a long wing span,  and more. see below.

from what i have read, which is not a huge amount, bennet's biggest drawback has been his attitude. he is the anti-smart/kg in that when confronted with adversity bennett simply gives up.

has bennett made some sort of mental and emotional leap ala gerald green, but sooner in life? i have absolutely no idea. but since all he takes up is a gleague roster space and cb poster time, i am in favor of letting him play in maine and see what happens.

here is part of the pre-draft write up by draftexpress on him:

"Measuring 6-7 in shoes at the Nike Hoop Summit eight months ago (and at the 2011 LeBron James Skills Academy), Bennett is somewhat undersized for a power forward, but makes up for that with his 7-1 wingspan, strong 239 pound frame, and excellent athleticism. He's a powerful and explosive leaper with very good quickness and body control for a player his size, making him a difficult matchup for opposing big men at the college level."

- Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Bennett-5866/ ©DraftExpress
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Think of him as a poor mans derrick Coleman and go from there

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Think of him as a poor mans derrick Coleman and go from there

You could think of him as a rich man's version of me and it would be about as relevant.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I don't have much faith in Bennett, but this isn't really a fair analysis. He's shooting 62% from 2PT and 46% from 3PT and has had back-to-back 20/10 games with only 12 shot attempts. They've somehow got him playing a perimeter game and taking only good shots.

He'll probably still flop, but the 12/6 is the least of my concerns.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 01:35:14 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
All the reason that keeps him around NBA is that former 1st overall pick.