Author Topic: Is Greg Monroe going to play against Portland?  (Read 3650 times)

Re: Is Greg Monroe going to play against Portland?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I’ve heard they might wait until the trade deadline is over in case we need to do a 1 for 2 trade (with probably at least one of the incoming players waived immediately.) so maybe the reason is for a little more wiggle room for trades until the deadline.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’ve heard they might wait until the trade deadline is over in case we need to do a 1 for 2 trade (with probably at least one of the incoming players waived immediately.) so maybe the reason is for a little more wiggle room for trades until the deadline.

Possible, I guess, but it’s much more likely the Celtics would send away two than take on two.  Our players don’t make enough money to match two salaries, generally.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Seems like they will sign him after the trade deadline in order to maintain flexibility:

@AdamHimmelsbach‏: Per sources, Greg Monroe has arrived in Boston. Cs still waiting a bit to finalize deal to keep some flexibility prior to trade deadline.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Yeah on March 23.  :) And I got tickets.

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Bulpett -

Greg Monroe is sealed and delivered, but not signed. The 6-11 power forward/center is in town and went through his physical today, but, as reported, he is holding off on signing his free agent contract in case the Celts need the roster spot to complete a deal.

In the meantime, Monroe will work out at the team’s facility and study up on the Celts’ offensive and defensive schemes and how Brad Stevens plans to use him. With the Celts on the road, the coaching staff has prepared video for him to examine.

Word is Monroe will join the Celtics in Washington on Wednesday (he went to school at Georgetown) and potentially sign and be activated after the 3 p.m. deadline the next day. It’s possible he could even be play in that night’s game against the Wizards.

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I believe that we are going to delay signing him until the trade deadline ends.  Danny wants to keep cap flexibility in case he can swing one more move before the final whistle.

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 06:13:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Bulpett -

Greg Monroe is sealed and delivered, but not signed. The 6-11 power forward/center is in town and went through his physical today, but, as reported, he is holding off on signing his free agent contract in case the Celts need the roster spot to complete a deal.

In the meantime, Monroe will work out at the team’s facility and study up on the Celts’ offensive and defensive schemes and how Brad Stevens plans to use him. With the Celts on the road, the coaching staff has prepared video for him to examine.

Word is Monroe will join the Celtics in Washington on Wednesday (he went to school at Georgetown) and potentially sign and be activated after the 3 p.m. deadline the next day. It’s possible he could even be play in that night’s game against the Wizards.

That's pretty brave of him to be working out for the team without a signed contract.

Are the Celtics going to honor their agreement if he got hurt in the meantime, at their facility?

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny waiting after the deadline to sign him

this way he still has 3.4 million to play with

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
"Cheeeese"

May be ready for the Washington game. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Bulpett -

That's pretty brave of him to be working out for the team without a signed contract.

Are the Celtics going to honor their agreement if he got hurt in the meantime, at their facility?

I suppose so, but you can't put him in bubble wrap till he signs -- guy's got to work out.  My guess is that he purchases disability insurance of some sort that would help in the event of an injury significant enough to prevent the signing.  Also, the 80 Million or so that he's earned over the last 8 years may provide him a sense of security.