Author Topic: Kyrie on J.J. Redick Podcast  (Read 4630 times)

Kyrie on J.J. Redick Podcast
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:29:47 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Not sure if it has been posted somewhere else but I just started listening now. They recorded it after the game in London https://art19.com/shows/the-jj-redick-podcast

Re: Kyrie on J.J. Redick Podcast
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I love Kyrie as a Celtic and basketball player, but he seems to me to be a classic pseudointellectual in his life outside of basketball. Most of what comes out of his mouth is contrived nonsense that he uses to try and make himself sound intelligent.

I think there’s a clear distinction between truly intellectual athletes (like Jaylen, Lin, etc.) and these types of pseudointellectuals.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Sounds like there is some genuine, good vibe between them.
Maybe Kyrie can pry JJ to Boston in a year or two.
JJ seems like a guy who would want a ring before he hangs them up.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I love Kyrie as a Celtic and basketball player, but he seems to me to be a classic pseudointellectual in his life outside of basketball. Most of what comes out of his mouth is contrived nonsense that he uses to try and make himself sound intelligent.

I think there’s a clear distinction between truly intellectual athletes (like Jaylen, Lin, etc.) and these types of pseudointellectuals.
While i partially agree,
Maybe we just set the bar basketball/athletes too high in general for them to able to fulfill it.
Guy is good (elite) at basketball, he doesn't need to be "too smart" as well, right?
They are not superheroes. It is just that they have mics in their mouths all the time and eventually they will say dumb things.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
If Kyrie was a brand of alcohol, he'd be Dos Equis.

He is the most interesting man in the world.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's funny to me to see how worked up people get simply off of Kyrie's thoughts & words.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Makes me laugh. He is so dumb.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:23:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah I posted this excerpt, it's great:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall hearing him try to have an intellectual discussion with Jaylen.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:28:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’ve said it before, but Kyrie sounds like a big LSD advocate. I know a group of them in Portland. They’re always advocating similar ideas, right down to the Nikola Tesla and Jim Carrey stuff.  They genuinely believe LSD has opened their mind to another realm of existence.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I’ve said it before, but Kyrie sounds like a big LSD advocate. I know a group of them in Portland. They’re always advocating similar ideas, right down to the Nikola Tesla and Jim Carrey stuff.  They genuinely believe LSD has opened their mind to another realm of existence.

Was he quoted about dropping acid, or are you just extrapolating from his reference to Tesla? Seems like a leap.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Was he quoted about dropping acid, or are you just extrapolating from his reference to Tesla? Seems like a leap.

No, I’m saying that they literally talk about the same things. Tesla, Jim Carrey’s truth, the mind opening to different dimensions, conspiracy theories, etc.

I’m not saying that Kyrie is dropping acid. He’s just got a lot of the same interests and thoughts in common with those who are.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

While i partially agree,
Maybe we just set the bar basketball/athletes too high in general for them to able to fulfill it.
Guy is good (elite) at basketball, he doesn't need to be "too smart" as well, right?
They are not superheroes. It is just that they have mics in their mouths all the time and eventually they will say dumb things.

Very true, but I think Kyrie goes out of his way to try and sound and act intelligent and “enlightened.”

I think Kyrie’s situation goes way beyond just saying some dumb things due to the sheer amount of time he spends behind a microphone. Literally almost everything he says (outside of basketball) is forced, contrived, and nonsensical lol

EDIT: I think one of the best things that came out of this London trip/podcast is that now we know the source of Kyrie's “flat Earth” beliefs - research via Instagram videos 😂

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't think Kyrie is a pseudo intellectual.  I just think he's different.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think Kyrie is a pseudo intellectual.  I just think he's different.

He definitely has some Bill Lee to him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

While i partially agree,

I agree with this.

Also, if you put a microphone in front of my mouth several times a week for my entire adult life, I'm going to say something that makes me sound stupid from time to time.  That goes for a large majority of people.  And if you pick out those soundbites and judge my intelligence entirely on those (which is what a lot of people are doing with Kyrie), then you're going to come to the conclusion that I'm a dumbass - never mind the fact that most of my interviews are reasonable, normal, and boring.