Author Topic: What is wrong with Kyrie's shooting?  (Read 4135 times)

Re: What is wrong with Kyrie's shooting?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 10:52:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
flat earth

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
hes going through a slump right now. but a month ago he was shooting over 50% on everything, so he will get out of it.

most important thing is we are still winning.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 11:17:48 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
8-24 with 6 turnovers and a minus 8.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 11:25:59 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I went to the game tonight. Kyrie didn't seem to have an issue. The shots that he hit looked good. My takeaway was not that Kyrie (and his 27 pts) was an issue.

My takeaway was a) Anthony Davis is a top 5 player in the league and B) the Pelicans are better than I thought. I would love to see them cause some turmoil in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:38:04 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Less concerned about Kyrie's shooting than with some of the poor decision making and tendency to stray from involving his teammates.

Tonight's game had some egregious examples down the stretch, but this has been an issue for a while.

One of Al Horford's comments post-game seemed to allude to the hero-ball problem, though he did not specifically call out Kyrie or Smart by name (even though they were the clear culprits).
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 12:10:29 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Less concerned about Kyrie's shooting than with some of the poor decision making and tendency to stray from involving his teammates.

Tonight's game had some egregious examples down the stretch, but this has been an issue for a while.

One of Al Horford's comments post-game seemed to allude to the hero-ball problem, though he did not specifically call out Kyrie or Smart by name (even though they were the clear culprits).

I'm glad Horford gave an interview tonight. I wasn't actually sure if he was in the building.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 12:57:14 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I'm glad Horford gave an interview tonight. I wasn't actually sure if he was in the building.

Well, I don't think Kyrie or Marcus remembered that he or Tatum were in the building at times.   When two of your most efficient scorers combine for just 15 shots while Marcus Smart takes 14 shots, something is wrong with your offense.

Kyrie took 24 shots to score 27 points.  Just 2 assists.  That's not good point creation.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
So I'm probably going to get some flak, but am i the only one who's not that thrilled with his game in general?
He's got a great handle and can dominate at times, but looks totally disinterested at other times. The start of last nights game was a perfect example. He played like he'd rather be anywhere else. Zero energy, gave the ball up as soon as he got over half court.
Then in the second half was the other Kyrie that i'm also not that excited about. The I'm getting mine one. Granted, he had a really good shooting third, but I've seen a lot of players have them.
Then the last few minutes of the game, the refused the give up the ball. Dribbled until the clock was almost gone, and take an ill advised shot. I really thought he cost them the game, as they were up 5, with the ball. Not the first time he's done this either. Can't count how many long 3's he's taken near the end of games. Sure, if he hits them is great, but not the shot i want to see.
I know he's an all-star and all, and as I said he can dominate, but i'm just not as thrilled with his game a s others seem to be.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
So I'm probably going to get some flak, but am i the only one who's not that thrilled with his game in general?
He's got a great handle and can dominate at times, but looks totally disinterested at other times. The start of last nights game was a perfect example. He played like he'd rather be anywhere else. Zero energy, gave the ball up as soon as he got over half court.
Then in the second half was the other Kyrie that i'm also not that excited about. The I'm getting mine one. Granted, he had a really good shooting third, but I've seen a lot of players have them.
Then the last few minutes of the game, the refused the give up the ball. Dribbled until the clock was almost gone, and take an ill advised shot. I really thought he cost them the game, as they were up 5, with the ball. Not the first time he's done this either. Can't count how many long 3's he's taken near the end of games. Sure, if he hits them is great, but not the shot i want to see.
I know he's an all-star and all, and as I said he can dominate, but i'm just not as thrilled with his game a s others seem to be.

He's not the same player he was at the beginning of the season.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

He’s an imperfect player with room to grow and he’s young enough to do so. Still - the whole team was flat and unready last night. First game in awhile and I’m not surprised with that effort - too much time off is not always a good thing. But you know, they’re the top team in the east, close to top overall, and missing one of (if not) their best overall player. Kyrie knows he’s The Dude on this team right now and we’ll take the good with the bad. He also got the steal toward the end of the game after missing that three.

I don’t think he’s about “I’m getting mine,” I think he wants to win and feels he needs to be The Dude and try to take over. Let’s not forget this team is brand new and they’ll have moments when individuals think they need to take over for the team to win, when really trust and ball movement is the key.

We’ll be fine, Kyrie will be fine, and among elite point guards in the league he is both one of the best and one of the youngest.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

He’s an imperfect player with room to grow and he’s young enough to do so. Still - the whole team was flat and unready last night. First game in awhile and I’m not surprised with that effort - too much time off is not always a good thing. But you know, they’re the top team in the east, close to top overall, and missing one of (if not) their best overall player. Kyrie knows he’s The Dude on this team right now and we’ll take the good with the bad. He also got the steal toward the end of the game after missing that three.

I don’t think he’s about “I’m getting mine,” I think he wants to win and feels he needs to be The Dude and try to take over. Let’s not forget this team is brand new and they’ll have moments when individuals think they need to take over for the team to win, when really trust and ball movement is the key.

We’ll be fine, Kyrie will be fine, and among elite point guards in the league he is both one of the best and one of the youngest.

He has a shoulder injury. I bet he has had it for a while.

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 04:36:50 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
He takes bad shots outside of their offense after dribbling away the shot clock.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 04:50:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
January has not been pretty for him but we are 4-1 in those 5 games with wins over CLE and MIN.  I would not leap to the conclusions that something is wrong though, at least not yet.  I will go out on a limb here and predict that he will be better in the next 5 games in terms of shooting percentage.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think the early success has overshadowed that Kyrie is still trying to figure out the balance of his role on this team. He's expected to be both the go-to scorer but also the guy who gets others involved but somehow he's supposed to do both of those things without dominating the ball. And he's learning how to do this with new teammates and new coaches in a new environment.

During preseason, I think there was consensus that this team was going to need some time to figure things out and before they gel but because they've won so much, we're forgetting that that's still the case and I think that's what's happening with Kyrie.

Eventually he'll find that balance. I'm not worried.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008