Author Topic: Kevin O'Connor has Horford as all-star starter  (Read 2759 times)

Re: Kevin O'Connor has Horford as all-star starter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Agreed he should get selected by the coaches, but not a starter.  Other choices looked fine though I may take KAT over Aldridge at center in the west.

I made my own All Star teams yesterday and for the West I also had KAT over Aldridge. Apart from the center spots I had the same teams as this journalist.

East: Irving, DeRozan, James, Antetokounmpo, Drummond.
reserves: Wall, Oladipo, Simmons, Horford, Porzingis, Whiteside, Embiid.
just out: Walker, Beal.

West: Curry, Harden, Durant, Davis, Towns.
reserves: Westbrook, Lillard, Butler, George, Aldridge, Green, Cousins.
just out: Thompson, Jokic.
Drummond?  He'd be behind all of 4 of your East reserve bigs.  Embiid dominates him on the court and statistically except for rebounding. 

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don’t see how a 34-10 team can only have one all-star, unless you want to hand him the MVP right now.

Crazy fans is one reason.

As of Jan 4th . Lonzo Ball (LAL) had  120,817 votes and he deserves to be in the all star game about as Pres.  Donald Trump deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.   

But because of LA's he gets a ton of votes even though he does not deserve to be in the game in terms of his playing ability or skill level in regards to his relative standing with other players.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The general consensus seems to be that Al should be a reserve, but not a starter. I agree with that, he should make it on.merit. the record of the team has nothing to do with all star merit in my opinion. Stars can be on crappy teams, and teams like last year's celtics can be pretty good with one or even zero stars.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 06:42:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Agreed he should get selected by the coaches, but not a starter.  Other choices looked fine though I may take KAT over Aldridge at center in the west.

I made my own All Star teams yesterday and for the West I also had KAT over Aldridge. Apart from the center spots I had the same teams as this journalist.

East: Irving, DeRozan, James, Antetokounmpo, Drummond.
reserves: Wall, Oladipo, Simmons, Horford, Porzingis, Whiteside, Embiid.
just out: Walker, Beal.

West: Curry, Harden, Durant, Davis, Towns.
reserves: Westbrook, Lillard, Butler, George, Aldridge, Green, Cousins.
just out: Thompson, Jokic.
Drummond?  He'd be behind all of 4 of your East reserve bigs.  Embiid dominates him on the court and statistically except for rebounding.

Drummond has played in 30% more games than Embiid and the rebounding gap is pretty huge (15-11). Plus Drummond actually averages more assists (pretty shocking he averages almost 4) with 50% less turnovers. Drummond is also shockingly approaching respectable free throw shooting 63% and making him more of an offensive factor. Embiid actually has the worst turnover to assist ratio in the entire league. I think Embiid probably still may slightly deserve a spot over Drummond but it certainly is not as clear cut as you make it (dominates) and Embiid still has a lot of warts on his game (to say nothing of missing nearly 1/3 of his team's games). 

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So an ex-Celticsblog writer chose Horford over more deserving players for theAll-Star team. Wow!!!Surprising ;) ;D :P

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I love Horford. He can be our All Star. Let the league misunderstand him and his contributions. He is the king of dirty work and solid fundamentals and helps establish both ends of the floor. Very much the unsung hero of this team.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
In terms of overall impact on winning games, I do not think there has been a better big man in the East this year, so yes, Horford should start.

He'll never get the votes over the bigger names putting up better individual counting stats, though.  But I do expect him to at least be a reserve.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 07:30:34 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
One thing I have to say to a lot of media people is: how good do you think the Celtics defense is?  If you are buying it, as I think you have to now, who are you giving credit?  I think basically no one gives much that I have seen besides Al from a small crowd (and very deservedly so).  I think Smart gets way too little credit (he dominated in the second half on defense in the 76ers game).  Baynes is great.  Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum can both be very good.  Kyrie is good. Theis is good.  Rozier is good.  I'm rambling and some do give the credit of course but I don't see it enough to talking about them compared to some other players right now. 

To the point of the thread, Al's has been great.  And how great he is in the screen and roll (even passing out of it) and how much that improves other players really matters.   He is the best all around player on the team (no disrespect to Kyrie, who has been quality on defense).

I am a homer to Al of course given he plays here so I was quiet on this for a while, but given how we see things now: how wouldn't you take Al Horford over Kevin Love?  One will do anything and fit in seamlessly and selflessly.  Sure, he won't get a ton of rebounds and maybe he doesn't make the flashly long outlet, but he plays great defense and is even better because again he embraces the role.  He doesn't care if he scores or not.   And on the the other end, the defense is always there.  You can play him at C and not feel at a loss, like you do with Love I think clearly, to defend.

I think here this may not be a hot take at all but I think to a larger NBA crowd it would and it should not be.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Golliver, from SI.com, went with Embiid, but was torn between Embiid and Horford, so apparently Horford is getting a lot of love from the press.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip