Author Topic: Toronto Raptors  (Read 3963 times)

Re: Toronto Raptors
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They are loaded this year..seriously I see no weakness

It is their lack of passing that is their biggest problem. It makes their offense too predictable. In the playoffs where teams know everything you do and gameplan defensively more for each individual team, that predictability is costly. It forces Toronto to constantly attack a set defense and get far fewer open looks at the basket. Which sinks their offensive efficiency and effectiveness.

Toronto still hasn't addressed that lack of passing. Especially with their big men. Ibaka one of the worst passing PFs in the league. Valanciunas is a mediocre passer but those passing skills aren't even utilized correctly so Toronto gets hardly any value from his passing. It's hard to have a complex offense when neither of your bigs can pass the ball. Facilitate the offense.

It leads to too much one-on-one play from DeRozan and Lowry. That will catch up with them in the playoffs.

I love a lot of what Toronto do but the balance just isn't right on that team to be successful offensively in the playoffs. They need to make some changes to their big man rotation. Unfortunately, they are standing pat and wasting this opportunity that they do have. Bad management.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 09:20:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Not to rain on the parade, but I think they have played one of the easiest schedules in the league thus far.
This isn't accurate.  The Raptors have 1 game in the Central time zone the rest of the season and every other game is in the Eastern time zone.  They have played 23 road games and 17 home games.  They are 15-2 at home and 14-9 on the road (and remember the only western team they haven't played on the road is Minnesota).  They obviously still have some tough western teams at home (GS is their next game) and have some tough eastern road games, but I'd be pretty surprised if the Raptors aren't the 1 seed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Even though I think the Raptors are going to be the 1 seed, I would give them <1% chance to beat the Cavs in the playoffs.  They have no one that can even pretend to guard Lebron James.  James will just have a field day on them just as he did last year when the Raptors had Tucker, Joseph, and Carroll to throw at him (along with Powell, DeRozan, etc.). 

Boston has a better shot at beating Cleveland than Toronto does, but I don't think Boston would beat Toronto in a series, which is why the actual seeding matters this year.  Boston needs the 1 seed so that it only has to face either Toronto and Cleveland and not both (I can't see any other team realistically cracking the top 3, but I suppose it is possible that this Cleveland slump lasts longer than last year and some other team gets hot). 

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Per basketball-reference, the Raptors are currently the #3 offense and #3 defense, which is really good. I think the Celtics can beat them but I'll be happy if the current playoff seeding holds, with the Raptors and Cavs facing off in the 2nd round and the Celtics getting whoever emerges.

I definitely think the Raptors have a chance against that old Cavs team that is going to have a lot of trouble turning on the playoff defense this year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Even though I think the Raptors are going to be the 1 seed, I would give them <1% chance to beat the Cavs in the playoffs.  They have no one that can even pretend to guard Lebron James.  James will just have a field day on them just as he did last year when the Raptors had Tucker, Joseph, and Carroll to throw at him (along with Powell, DeRozan, etc.). 

Boston has a better shot at beating Cleveland than Toronto does, but I don't think Boston would beat Toronto in a series, which is why the actual seeding matters this year.  Boston needs the 1 seed so that it only has to face either Toronto and Cleveland and not both (I can't see any other team realistically cracking the top 3, but I suppose it is possible that this Cleveland slump lasts longer than last year and some other team gets hot).
[/b]

This wouldn't require some catastrophic turn of events or somebody getting super hot. Just a Miami Heat team that has battled injury problems all year winning 2 or 3 more games than the Cavs the rest of the way (Or the Wizards). Considering three of the Cavs next 4 games are against the Warriors, Spurs and Thunder they be tied in a week or so. 

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
We need to get through the first-round first. Don't forget the Bulls nearly knocked the Celtics out last year.

It took superstar performances from IT4, Gerald Green, and Avery Bradley and Rondo out to beat them.

So a completely different and better roster may not win a first round series because another version of the team had trouble last year and it took 3 great performances from players that are no longer here to get through?

That's odd reasoning.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 07:59:13 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Not to rain on the parade, but I think they have played one of the easiest schedules in the league thus far.
This isn't accurate.  The Raptors have 1 game in the Central time zone the rest of the season and every other game is in the Eastern time zone.  They have played 23 road games and 17 home games.  They are 15-2 at home and 14-9 on the road (and remember the only western team they haven't played on the road is Minnesota).  They obviously still have some tough western teams at home (GS is their next game) and have some tough eastern road games, but I'd be pretty surprised if the Raptors aren't the 1 seed.

Strength of schedule.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 08:04:48 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Without Hayward, they are better than us.

Neither team can beat the Cavs in the playoffs.

Wouldnt read too much into this performance. Cleveland has been BAD lately.

They are not better than us.

What are you basing that on?

Not to mention, Lowry and Derozen consistently don't play well in the post season, while Kyrie is known for raising his play, and Smart and Horford have done that as well.

I respect them, but no way in hell do I fear them.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Lol.

I literally don't think I have ever seen you post positive things about the Celtics, but immediately rush to say great things about other teams.

You will be shocked if the Celtics stay the number 1 seed?

What?

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Not to mention, Lowry and Derozen consistently don't play well in the post season, while Kyrie is known for raising his play, and Smart and Horford have done that as well.

Point differentials, strength of schedule, home and away stuff. Pretty much any metric but raw w/l.

The Raptors playoff troubles have been overblown.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:59:00 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:16 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

The raptors have made it past the conference semis once in their 23 year history. There is nothing overblown about saying they're weak in the playoffs at all.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 08:34:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

The raptors have made it past the conference semis once in their 23 year history. There is nothing overblown about saying they're weak in the playoffs at all.
last year they handled the Bucks and then got bullied by the cavs when Lowry couldn't play through injury any more.

2 years ago they made the ECF and pushed Bron and the eventual champs to 6.

It's the East. Lowry has been injured. Derozan isn't the player he was 2+ years ago.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Lol.

I literally don't think I have ever seen you post positive things about the Celtics, but immediately rush to say great things about other teams.

You will be shocked if the Celtics stay the number 1 seed?

What?

It is understandable. His team just got blown out by the Raptors.

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

last year they handled the Bucks and then got bullied by the cavs when Lowry couldn't play through injury any more.

2 years ago they made the ECF and pushed Bron and the eventual champs to 6.

It's the East. Lowry has been injured. Derozan isn't the player he was 2+ years ago.

Lowry and Derozen have proven to be poor playoff performers. That is indisputable.

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Strength of schedule.
the advanced/weighted SOS have the Raptors playing a more difficult schedule than the Celtics thus far. Which makes sense given what I posted aboit their road heavy western conference heavy schedule. 

They play 1 game outside if the Eastern Time Zone the rest of the way (and it is Minnesota which is a short flight). That is insane. They are 14-2 at home and have played 6 less home games.