Author Topic: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from  (Read 8131 times)

Re: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1236
Instead, let's bring in hundreds of thousands of low skilled workers to compete with our low skilled workers, give them benefits , and call it diversity.
The US does, in fact, need more low-skilled labor. This is a pretty well established economic fact.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/08/more-unskilled-workers-please/
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 979
Yes our country has problems, but overall America is a pretty great opportunity for a large portion of those born here. And while some people don't take advantage of that, others flourish. Yet this president continuously does and says things that represent this country in a horrible light.

As a country with have had a lot of issues with race since our beginning.   No country is perfect and none will ever be perfect.  We have good presidents and bad presidents.   I don't think Pres. Trump nor Pres. Obama at the end of the day when history judges them will be good presidents.

A lot of people blame colonialism for the areas named by Trump as a reason for all the problems.  I don't think this is the case because some nations have done very well post colonialism.  I think as long as people are looking for blame they are not looking for solutions.

I think this thread illustrates that some people will defend what he says and some people will react to anything he says negatively. 

Say what you will about any previous president, but they never made me ashamed to be part of this country.

Spare me the hyperbole.   If you know enough about history there are plenty of presidents that have done shameful things.  As bad as this was this is nothing compared to the Trail of Tears.  It was a dumb thing to say and insensitive but it did not lead to people getting killed or genocide.   That is the thing I find most amusing about a lot of this threads is the drama that people act like Pres. Trump is the most evil person in history.   He's not and its not even close but its clear that some people feel that way no matter how misguided they are.   He is jerk, bombastic and inherently dishonest.   Pres. Trump can be embarrassing for sure. 

Note I am not defending simply pointing out that some people judgement in this matter is pretty out sync with history.

« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2018, 07:47:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27885
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Let's stay civil and on subject. This thread isn't about what Obama did or the Clinton Foundation.
I appreciate this comment, but it's inevitable. Does anyone actually know why there always ends up being efforts to highlight perceived double standards or hypocrisy?

I thinks itís natural when somebody expresses outrage, yet didnít under similar circumstances previously.  Itís legit to wonder if theyíre truly outraged, or whether theyíre exaggerating to score political points.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1236
Let's stay civil and on subject. This thread isn't about what Obama did or the Clinton Foundation.
I appreciate this comment, but it's inevitable. Does anyone actually know why there always ends up being efforts to highlight perceived double standards or hypocrisy?

I thinks itís natural when somebody expresses outrage, yet didnít under similar circumstances previously.  Itís legit to wonder if theyíre truly outraged, or whether theyíre exaggerating to score political points.
Depends on who is providing the definition of "similar circumstances".
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5294

Clearly

« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2018, 08:52:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2448
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The bulk of these "similar circumstances" seems to have taken place when I was in high school so I'd just like to apologize to whoever was monitoring me for the places I was going online at the time.

« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27885
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

The bulk of these "similar circumstances" seems to have taken place when I was in high school so I'd just like to apologize to whoever was monitoring me for the places I was going online at the time.

Congrats on your recent high school graduation. Class of 2016?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 911

I think it's a natural human tendency. If someone can show that "the other side" has been guilty of the same thing (or at least something similar to what's now being alleged), that constitutes vindication in the opinion of the individual.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

ó C.S. Lewis

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 915
I'm not going to get too much into the arguments on here because let's be honest - nobody is going to convince another to change their stance about Trump at this point.

But a few thoughts:

If a liberal politician, let's say a Democratic governor of a blue-leaning state, said something demeaning about poorly-educated, low-skilled Caucasians living in rural parts of the state - perhaps "why would we want these people from a ___hole part of the state with no skills to come here to work?", essentially insinuating that they're lesser people because they're poor and have nothing to offer -  many of these rural Trump supporters and the right-wing media would be absolutely livid.  As well they should be.  Rural conservatives absolutely loathe being looked down upon by "coastal elites" and others.  But alas, by defending Trump they fail to see the double standard. To say such a generalized, inaccurate, and despicable comment is completely disgraceful and completely indefensible, no matter who you are.  This seems to come standard with Trump, however, so no surprises here.

"In regards to Senator Durbinís accusation, we do not recall the president saying these comments specifically..." - Senator Cotton and Senator Purdue.  Please.  Like anyone would ever forget such inflammatory comments during a senatorial meeting.  Your lies are just as bad as Trump's denial of what he said.

Finally, I'd like to revisit a remark by James Comey: "Lordy, I hope there are tapes".  Alright there probably aren't any tapes, but imagine how powerful that soundbyte would be in the upcoming midterms and 2020.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:39:53 PM by SCeltic34 »

Broussard: "Did you call bank?"
Pierce: "I called game."

- Paul Pierce on his game-winning buzzer beater, game 3 EC Semi-finals against the Atlanta Hawks

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:33 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1082
I'm not going to get too much into the arguments on here because let's be honest - nobody is going to convince another to change their stance about Trump at this point.

But a few thoughts:

If a liberal politician, let's say a Democratic governor of a blue-leaning state, said something demeaning about poorly-educated, low-skilled Caucasians living in rural parts of the state - perhaps "why would we want these people from a ___hole part of the state with no skills to come here to work?", essentially insinuating that they're lesser people because they're poor and have nothing to offer -  many of these rural Trump supporters and the right-wing media would be absolutely livid.  As well they should be.  Rural conservatives absolutely loathe being looked down upon by "coastal elites" and others.  But alas, by defending Trump they fail to see the double standard. To say such a generalized, inaccurate, and despicable comment is completely disgraceful and completely indefensible, no matter who you are.  This seems to come standard with Trump, however, so no surprises here.

"In regards to Senator Durbinís accusation, we do not recall the president saying these comments specifically..." - Senator Cotton and Senator Purdue.  Please.  Like anyone would ever forget such inflammatory comments during a senatorial meeting.  Your lies are just as bad as Trump's denial of what he said.

Finally, I'd like to revisit a remark by James Comey: "Lordy, I hope there are tapes".  Alright they're probably aren't any tapes, but imagine how powerful that soundbyte would be in the upcoming midterms and 2020.

Actually Liberals have been saying derogatory things continuously

Hillary " Black men are super predators "

Hillary " basket of deplorables"

Bernie " white people don't know what it's like to be poor

I could go on....

Oh Lordy, James Comey is just a swell all American boy that leaked to the media to get a special council against Trump .

Oh Lordy, James Comey the choir boy who exonerated Hillary before ever even interviewing her

Oh lordy
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:53:50 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2018, 10:47:52 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 915

But a few thoughts:

Finally, I'd like to revisit a remark by James Comey: "Lordy, I hope there are tapes".  Alright they're probably aren't any tapes, but imagine how powerful that soundbyte would be in the upcoming midterms and 2020.

Actually Liberals have been saying derogatory things continuously

Hillary " Black men are super predators "

Hillary " basket of deplorables"

Bernie " white people don't know what it's like to be poor

I could go on....

Oh Lordy, James Comey is just a swell all American boy that leaked to the media to get a special council against Trump .

Oh Lordy, James Comey the choir boy who exonerated Hillary before ever even interviewing her

Oh lordy

Whataboutisms.  Meh.  Rarely does the topic at hand get addressed.

The Comey comment was made in jest, though I guess that's difficult to tell on the internet.

Broussard: "Did you call bank?"
Pierce: "I called game."

- Paul Pierce on his game-winning buzzer beater, game 3 EC Semi-finals against the Atlanta Hawks

« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2018, 10:53:20 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
He called a bunch of crapholes what they are....crapholes.  He didn't call the people from there anything.  Was it insensitive?  Yes.  Was it racist like the left want people to think?  No.  And let's be honest, he could cure Cancer and people would say "yeah well why didn't he cure AIDS?"  So he's probably gonna continue to be a 70 year old spoiled child on Twitter and say whatever he wants. 

« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:08 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 243

Natural, maybe, but it needs to be called for what it is in a political debate: totally irrelevant. It's literally a logical fallacy in the most formal sense- "tu quoque". Now popularly know as "whataboutism". Of course, these days I'm an elitist if I get too debate-team-y on the Internet.

Both sides do it, of course, but I find special irony when the personal responsibility advocates make it a go-to move. God forbid the POTUS be judged on his own merits.

We teach kids on the playground that "he started it" or "he did it first" aren't valid excuses, and yet, it's in practically everything political thread like clockwork. Sigh.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson

Congrats on your recent high school graduation. Class of 2016?

No, I graduated high school in the 90s. 2016 was the year I went from correctly identifying Donald Trump as a white supremacist charlatan to carrying water for him by incessantly whatabouting Bill Clinton in a forum supposedly about current events. Unless Iím muddling things up somehow.

« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2018, 12:06:17 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
Back on topic, in yet another headscratching coincidence prominent white supremacists are once again very happy with the President's comments and believe they indicate he's on their side.

Warning: lots of racist language