Author Topic: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from  (Read 8274 times)

Re: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2331
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Serious Question!

If I say I don't want to live in certain parts of Chelsea, East Boston, or Roxbury because it's a S***hole, does that make me a racist?
You're completely disregarding the context in which he said the word.
I really don't think I am.

You are.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27880
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Serious Question!

If I say I don't want to live in certain parts of Chelsea, East Boston, or Roxbury because it's a S***hole, does that make me a racist?
You're completely disregarding the context in which he said the word.
I really don't think I am.

You are.

Add something to the conversation or move on, please. ďIím notĒ, ďYou areĒ doesnít accomplish anything.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2451
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Mods modding mods. What hath Trump wrought.

Senator Tim Scott becomes 3rd Senator, 2nd GOP, to publicly confirm Trump's statements. Was not at meeting but was told by Lindsey Graham who so far has no comment.

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/sen-tim-scott-trump-s-****hole-countries-comment-is-accurate/article_e99c2fba-f7a9-11e7-a381-d7950e17b81f.html?

You'll need to fill in the asterisks to make the link work, as this sports blog has higher standards than the Presidency.

Former RNC Chair Michael Steele says Trump is a racist: "Yeah, I do (think he is a racist). At this point the evidence is incontrovertible. It's right there."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/former-rnc-chairman-michael-steele-trump-is-racist/article/2645754

« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 970
And that's without getting into the implications of the President insulting foreign nations that we might need help from for our military or foreign policy, and the national origins of millions of Americans. Or wantonly endangering Americans residing in those countries.

Do you feel that the Democrat who leaked the private, closed door discussions was similarly ďwantonĒ?

This shtick isn't going to get you any more traction with me than it did last year.

Oh, I know. Youíre a committed progressive.  Why should you care about intellectual integrity / consistency?  Youíre not here for a discussion, youíre here to spew poorly thought through talking points.

If Trumpís private comments are endangering Americans, then the politicians purposely leaking those comments are intentionally endangering Americans. That calculated action seems much more vile than any off the cuff remark made behind closed doors.

So you would prefer to not have the public know these about these types of statements from the president?  I haven't heard anyone said this was a classified meeting, or that participants were asked to not talk about it.  My lord, if our president is spewing this type of bile, the country deserves to know.

Eh. Iím not a Trump apologist, but this just isnít a big deal to me.

But no, if even one American is harmed due to this, then I donít think itís worth sharing. Itís an irrelevant comment. The question is, should we have a visa lottery or merit-based immigration? Trumpís comment presumes that the visa lottery is taking in less meritorious  immigrants due to lottery status. Is he wrong?

Roy whether you believe this actually harms anyone in America or not, at a minimum would you agree that there is some value in decorum from a president? At my company if a CEO or senior leadership made comments like this, even at an unofficial event, they would be let go. At some level Trump is supposed to represent us as a country and referring to entire other countries like he did, many would feel he isn't representing us well.

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 48
And that's without getting into the implications of the President insulting foreign nations that we might need help from for our military or foreign policy, and the national origins of millions of Americans. Or wantonly endangering Americans residing in those countries.

Do you feel that the Democrat who leaked the private, closed door discussions was similarly ďwantonĒ?

This shtick isn't going to get you any more traction with me than it did last year.

Oh, I know. Youíre a committed progressive.  Why should you care about intellectual integrity / consistency?  Youíre not here for a discussion, youíre here to spew poorly thought through talking points.

If Trumpís private comments are endangering Americans, then the politicians purposely leaking those comments are intentionally endangering Americans. That calculated action seems much more vile than any off the cuff remark made behind closed doors.

So you would prefer to not have the public know these about these types of statements from the president?  I haven't heard anyone said this was a classified meeting, or that participants were asked to not talk about it.  My lord, if our president is spewing this type of bile, the country deserves to know.

But no, if even one American is harmed due to this, then I donít think itís worth sharing. Itís an irrelevant comment. The question is, should we have a visa lottery or merit-based immigration? Trumpís comment presumes that the visa lottery is taking in less meritorious  immigrants due to lottery status. Is he wrong?
Trump isn't wrong.  And Roy you are not wrong.  What Trump said isn't even bad.  I posted a question before but I will rephrase it. 
If I earned the right to live in a nice neighborhood and I say I don't want my street  to turn it into a S***hole like some parts of Chelsea, some parts of East Boston or some parts of Roxbury, does that make me a racist?
Is what I am asking out of line?  I don't think so. I want my street to stay nice.
That is what Trump is proposing. I agree with a merit system immigration policy.
Because Trump is doing well for the country, the haters are just grasping for anything.

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 276
  • 7 + 11 = 18
My biggest problem with Trump is how unprofessional and dumb he sounds.

You could argue all day if he is right / wrong/ racist / or not racist. 

He has no idea how to intelligently articulate his message.  He makes us all look bad regardless of what his actual message is.  This is undeniable.

« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Don Nelson

Trump isn't wrong.  And Roy you are not wrong.  What Trump said isn't even bad.  I posted a question before but I will rephrase it. 
If I earned the right to live in a nice neighborhood and I say I don't want my street  to turn it into a S***hole like some parts of Chelsea, some parts of East Boston or some parts of Roxbury, does that make me a racist?
Is what I am asking out of line?  I don't think so. I want my street to stay nice.
That is what Trump is proposing. I agree with a merit system immigration policy.
Because Trump is doing well for the country, the haters are just grasping for anything.

A few things. If you are speaking to a few of your friends at the bar, this phrase isn't an issues at all. If you are in a position of leadership and speaking to people you work with, then yea, this would not be appropriate (and is an issue with this regardless of political affiliation). Furthermore, there is a difference between a neighborhood and a country in that countries provide someone's ethnicity (many people, including a coworker of mine, are salvadorians). Someone born and living in Chelsea is not a chelsea-ite that has to constantly write chelsea-ite on their college, job and visa applications. It would also be rare for that person to hear racial slurs specifically aimed at them just for being from chelsea. So that is another big difference.

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Roy whether you believe this actually harms anyone in America or not, at a minimum would you agree that there is some value in decorum from a president? At my company if a CEO or senior leadership made comments like this, even at an unofficial event, they would be let go. At some level Trump is supposed to represent us as a country and referring to entire other countries like he did, many would feel he isn't representing us well.

Publicly, yes. Privately, Iíve found most powerful men to be vulgar. Among Presidents thatís certainly true.  Obama was a huge swearer.  LBJ, Nixon. Trump ups the bar because heís often publicly disgraceful.  But, using a crass but fairly accurate descriptor for certain countries behind closed doors doesnít bother me.

I think this was leaked for pure political purposes, so that the Dems share no blame in immigration reform.

Reinstate DACA, institute merit-based immigration, limit chain immigration, build a wall, and offer some level of amnesty.

« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5299

A few things. If you are speaking to a few of your friends at the bar, this phrase isn't an issues at all. If you are in a position of leadership and speaking to people you work with, then yea, this would not be appropriate (and is an issue with this regardless of political affiliation). Furthermore, there is a difference between a neighborhood and a country in that countries provide someone's ethnicity (many people, including a coworker of mine, are salvadorians). Someone born and living in Chelsea is not a chelsea-ite that has to constantly write chelsea-ite on their college, job and visa applications. It would also be rare for that person to hear racial slurs specifically aimed at them just for being from chelsea. So that is another big difference.
Exactly the context I was talking about. I thought it fairly obvious to figure out.

« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Don Nelson

Publicly, yes. Privately, Iíve found most powerful men to be vulgar. Among Presidents thatís certainly true.  Obama was a huge swearer.  LBJ, Nixon. Trump ups the bar because heís often publicly disgraceful.  But, using a crass but fairly accurate descriptor for certain countries behind closed doors doesnít bother me.

I think this was leaked for pure political purposes, so that the Dems share no blame in immigration reform.

Reinstate DACA, institute merit-based immigration, limit chain immigration, build a wall, and offer some level of amnesty.

What is your definition of public versus private though. If he is home with his wife (if they lived together) and say this, then, yea sure, that is private. I would say he could be a vulgar comment he even makes this to 2 or 3 of his buddies on the golf course. This was a comment made in front of a large group of people while he was working in a professional capacity (including in front of some people that are not fans of his). Do you really view that as a private comment just because it was an open meeting on the record? I would say there is a huge difference between that and him with some friends out of business. I would also argue it definitely is not appropriate for that reason regardless of political leaning or whether it is viewed as racist (which I also happen to think it is, but don't need to debate it for hours).

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What is your definition of public versus private though. If he is home with his wife (if they lived together) and say this, then, yea sure, that is private. I would say he could be a vulgar comment he even makes this to 2 or 3 of his buddies on the golf course. This was a comment made in front of a large group of people while he was working in a professional capacity (including in front of some people that are not fans of his). Do you really view that as a private comment just because it was an open meeting on the record? I would say there is a huge difference between that and him with some friends out of business. I would also argue it definitely is not appropriate for that reason regardless of political leaning or whether it is viewed as racist (which I also happen to think it is, but don't need to debate it for hours).

Itís a valid opinion. I just disagree. Iíve been in a ton of meetings with government officials, heads of multi-national construction companies, and some of the largest firms on the East Coast. These people talk like theyíre drinking in a dive bar.

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1236
Also, in case Trump really wondered why we can't get any Norwegians, that's easy to explain:

Norway has single-payer healthcare system, subsidized childcare, paid maternity and paternity leave, top notch public transport system and has been on top of the human development index rankings for a while.

I'm not sure why Trump is so surprised, most Norwegians would actually be taking a downgrade if they chose to move to the US.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 03:24:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Question: is there a difference between calling a country a ď[crap]holeĒ vs a ď[crap] showĒ

Iím asking for a friend.

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1082
Question: is there a difference between calling a country a ď[crap]holeĒ vs a ď[crap] showĒ

Iím asking for a friend.

Would that friend be Obama who referred to Lybia in this manner?

MSM pushing the globalist agenda....