Author Topic: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from  (Read 8268 times)

Re: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2018, 10:58:56 AM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2451
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Would you want a lousy player from a craphole team on the Celtics.
It wouldn't make the Celtics better.

Kevin Garnett came from one of the crappiest organizations in the league.

To be competitive, we need the world's brightest, not someone who is going to sponge off the government.  We have plenty of them.  It has nothing to do with race.

African immigrants are already better educated than Americans as a whole, and despite the prevalent stereotypes immigrants overall contribute more to the system than they take out.

Canada and Australia have a merit based system.  Are they all racists?

Admissions based on national origin are not merit-based. National origin is irrelevant to a merit-based system, except from one specific set of perspectives on what characteristics have "merit".

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27880
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
And that's without getting into the implications of the President insulting foreign nations that we might need help from for our military or foreign policy, and the national origins of millions of Americans. Or wantonly endangering Americans residing in those countries.

Do you feel that the Democrat who leaked the private, closed door discussions was similarly “wanton”?

This shtick isn't going to get you any more traction with me than it did last year.

Oh, I know. You’re a committed progressive.  Why should you care about intellectual integrity / consistency?  You’re not here for a discussion, you’re here to spew poorly thought through talking points.

If Trump’s private comments are endangering Americans, then the politicians purposely leaking those comments are intentionally endangering Americans. That calculated action seems much more vile than any off the cuff remark made behind closed doors.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2018, 11:12:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Jake Tapper suggesting that Trump was slightly misquoted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaketapper/status/951814037960085504

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:55 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5299
Jake Tapper suggesting that Trump was slightly misquoted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaketapper/status/951814037960085504
Lol...yeah, because that is so much better. Now Tapper has further confirmation but Trump is denying everything.

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
US Ambassador to Panama has just resigned. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/12/us-ambassador-panama-resigns-saying-can-no-longer-serve-trump/

EDIT: He's definitely resigned but mixed reports on whether this is a direct response to these specific comments or just general grievances with the admin. Altered it to reflect.

Rising GOP star and first Haitian-American member of Congress Mia Love is demanding Trump apologize to America and to the nations he insulted.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:45:24 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »

Offline blink

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 321
And that's without getting into the implications of the President insulting foreign nations that we might need help from for our military or foreign policy, and the national origins of millions of Americans. Or wantonly endangering Americans residing in those countries.

Do you feel that the Democrat who leaked the private, closed door discussions was similarly “wanton”?

This shtick isn't going to get you any more traction with me than it did last year.

Oh, I know. You’re a committed progressive.  Why should you care about intellectual integrity / consistency?  You’re not here for a discussion, you’re here to spew poorly thought through talking points.

If Trump’s private comments are endangering Americans, then the politicians purposely leaking those comments are intentionally endangering Americans. That calculated action seems much more vile than any off the cuff remark made behind closed doors.

So you would prefer to not have the public know these about these types of statements from the president?  I haven't heard anyone said this was a classified meeting, or that participants were asked to not talk about it.  My lord, if our president is spewing this type of bile, the country deserves to know.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:41:21 AM by blink »

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 913
I see that ”wanton” is the Word of the Day. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson

It beats yesterday's Word of the Day.  ;)

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2018, 12:07:53 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 248
His comments about other countries sending their worst suggests the oppressed in other countries are oppressed for a reason?  Or the disadvantaged are so due to an inherent flaw. Or they're criminals.

Yet this guy has apparently had as many as 4 criminals in his campaign, so far, with the investigation ongoing. At the very least, the guy has not kept good company.

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 48
Serious Question!

If I say I don't want to live in certain parts of Chelsea, East Boston, or Roxbury because it's a S***hole, does that make me a racist?

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 12:15:38 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5299
Serious Question!

If I say I don't want to live in certain parts of Chelsea, East Boston, or Roxbury because it's a S***hole, does that make me a racist?
You're completely disregarding the context in which he said the word.

« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 48
Serious Question!

You're completely disregarding the context in which he said the word.
I really don't think I am.

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
So you would prefer to not have the public know these types of statements from the president?  I haven't heard anyone said this was a classified meeting, or that participants were asked to not talk about it.  My lord, if our president is spewing this type of bile, the country deserves to know.

Yeah, the notion that people finding out what the President does is a greater offense than him doing it is becoming very popular among apologists. With classified material there's at least an debate to be had, but for this kind of stuff it's completely morally bankrupt.

On a related note, this story from December about our extremely not-racist President complaining Haitians "all have AIDS" and Nigerians "will never go back to their huts" after seeing America seems freshly relevant:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/23/us/politics/trump-immigration.html

« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2018, 12:26:56 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 913

It beats yesterday's Word of the Day.  ;)

Touché.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So you would prefer to not have the public know these about these types of statements from the president?  I haven't heard anyone said this was a classified meeting, or that participants were asked to not talk about it.  My lord, if our president is spewing this type of bile, the country deserves to know.

Eh. I’m not a Trump apologist, but this just isn’t a big deal to me.

But no, if even one American is harmed due to this, then I don’t think it’s worth sharing. It’s an irrelevant comment. The question is, should we have a visa lottery or merit-based immigration? Trump’s comment presumes that the visa lottery is taking in less meritorious  immigrants due to lottery status. Is he wrong?