Author Topic: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from  (Read 8267 times)

Re: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 442
I rarely reply to these Trump things, but this takes the cake, I have to.

I don't care if you support him or not, there is NO defense for making statements like this.

Same, that's why I had to come in and see who could possibly be defending it and what arguments they were using.  Didn't disappoint.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1161
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I don't care if you support him or not, there is NO defense for making statements like this.

Same, that's why I had to come in and see who could possibly be defending it and what arguments they were using.  Didn't disappoint.

It's not even about politics for me at this point, it's just about character. Out of all the words he could have used, that is the one he picked?

We can agree or disagree with Presidents and their policies, but I think we can all agree that Presidents should hold a high character, and this isn't the case.
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life."

- Red

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 08:39:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1236
In case anyone wondered, the WH is not denying he said that.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42656433
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:41 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 79
In case anyone wondered, the WH is not denying he said that.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42656433
Why would they deny it?  He plays solely to his base and they lap stuff like this up.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2018, 09:04:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2408
Unfit.

MAGA win.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 146
I think it's unfortunate that people still think that immigrants are smooching off the system. They make all this effort to come to the US to live on bare minimum on welfare? New immigrants do live on bare minimum but that's so they can make enough to invest on the country. As a former immigrant, my parents came and worked hard. At that time, my dad rode a bike given to him and could barely afford a $300 car. 20+ years later, they've bought a house, sent 3 kids to college, bought cars and invested tremendously in the country. Isn't this the kind of people we want in our country? People that are moving up in social class and investing in the country? They pay their taxes, they buy from both big store and small store, they keep the economy running.

I work at a nonprofit now and live well thanks to them. I believe I am a goods member of society. I do work in the community that helps people stay active which in turn, reduces the cost of health care. I may not have a big salary or be highly educated (I did go to college but don't have a masters or doctorate). I have worked at uber and talked to these highly educated people and they're not looking to invest in the country. They're looking to work and investing in their country.

I just think that by looking mainly at where they're coming from and not at what they're bringing to the table is a very short sighted way of looking at things. The work effort and determination that many immigrants have are what keeps struggling cities alive.

Ps. I don't want to hear anything about taking away jobs. I grew up on the Cape and we never relied on welfare, especially in the winter. I know many people that happily work in the summer and collect unemployment in the winter. Besides, the mechanism prevents immigrants from doing that anyway since you have to have some legal documents to gain those benefits.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 218

It's not even about politics for me at this point, it's just about character. Out of all the words he could have used, that is the one he picked?

We can agree or disagree with Presidents and their policies, but I think we can all agree that Presidents should hold a high character, and this isn't the case.

Agreed. I didn't care for Bush, but I could sit down and have a beer with him. Had a friend who got to meat him, and said he was really nice and fun to talk to.

Part of what I look for in a candidate is if I can do just that. With the last election, I couldn't sit down with Hillary, and I would flip the table on Trump and crack him in the head with the chair. Bernie was the only one I would want to have a beer with. I bet he's got some great stories about Hogwarts. :P

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Aron Baynes
  • Tommy Points: 12
This is all quite amusing... Trump is out of his depth, the whole world sees it daily, the BS that comes out of his mouth actually makes me embarrassed for my American friends.

There is no reason why you can't have a merit based immigration system and a system for taking refugees, but no immigration system can perfect.

Anders Breivik is highly educated, white, and Norwegian, the perfect Trump immigration target... look how that turned out.

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »

Offline liam

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 610
I think it's unfortunate that people still think that immigrants are smooching off the system. They make all this effort to come to the US to live on bare minimum on welfare? New immigrants do live on bare minimum but that's so they can make enough to invest on the country. As a former immigrant, my parents came and worked hard. At that time, my dad rode a bike given to him and could barely afford a $300 car. 20+ years later, they've bought a house, sent 3 kids to college, bought cars and invested tremendously in the country. Isn't this the kind of people we want in our country? People that are moving up in social class and investing in the country? They pay their taxes, they buy from both big store and small store, they keep the economy running.

I work at a nonprofit now and live well thanks to them. I believe I am a goods member of society. I do work in the community that helps people stay active which in turn, reduces the cost of health care. I may not have a big salary or be highly educated (I did go to college but don't have a masters or doctorate). I have worked at uber and talked to these highly educated people and they're not looking to invest in the country. They're looking to work and investing in their country.

I just think that by looking mainly at where they're coming from and not at what they're bringing to the table is a very short sighted way of looking at things. The work effort and determination that many immigrants have are what keeps struggling cities alive.

Ps. I don't want to hear anything about taking away jobs. I grew up on the Cape and we never relied on welfare, especially in the winter. I know many people that happily work in the summer and collect unemployment in the winter. Besides, the mechanism prevents immigrants from doing that anyway since you have to have some legal documents to gain those benefits.

I agree with you. This is a country of immigrants. Trumps wife is an immigrant. Trump comes from immigrants.  The hypocrite and chief is an ugly hateful person. If this is a Christian country, where is all the Christian compassion? Is saying Merry Christmas all that Trump and company think it means to be a Christian? If so then no wonder why he thinks the world is so sad.

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2018, 11:31:05 PM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2451
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
From some of the responses here it looks like the narrative being pushed to excuse yet another display of bigoted ignorance by the President of the United States is "it's actually about skills/merit-based immigration"

Problem is, dude said he preferred immigrants from places like Norway. Being from Norway or demographically similar places is not a skill.  And it's only a merit from one specific set of perspectives. Guess what we call those.

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 12:19:35 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1082
From some of the responses here it looks like the narrative being pushed to excuse yet another display of bigoted ignorance by the President of the United States is "it's actually about skills/merit-based immigration"

Problem is, dude said he preferred immigrants from places like Norway. Being from Norway or demographically similar places is not a skill.  And it's only a merit from one specific set of perspectives. Guess what we call those.

Except Norway is one of the most developed countries in the world.

To quote the great Patriot Tucker Carlson

"Last year we took in 23,000 from El Salvador , we took in 404 from Norway, so we overwhelmingly  give advantages to extreme poverty countries, what effect does that have on the poverty rate in this country?"

According to the Center of Immigration studies immigrants from central and South American countries, the rate of welfare use(at least 1 program) is 73%

From south Asia, a non white region, it's 17%.

Guess it's all about white power eh?

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 12:26:36 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 806

When did he say "or demographically similar places"?

He didnt. Norway is one of the most advanced countries in the world and its average citizen received 8 years more schooling than the average Haitian. Considering that he's long been a proponent of merit-based immigration and endorsed the possibility of more immigrants from Asian countries because of their positive economic impact, I think its more than possible that "places like this" referred to high levels of wealth and education.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:49 AM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
Appreciate the responses but there's still zero case being made for why being from a "****hole" country is inherently negative and being from places "like Norway" is inherently positive when it comes to being legally admitted to the country. Immigrants aren't a representative sample and we don't recruit them.

Also still fuzzy on why the head of the American government casually insulting multiple nations and the homelands of millions of Americans is once again something to be handwaved away and maybe a good thing.

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 01:02:01 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
  • Forever LIT
So much of this presidency thus far is Trump saying some off-the-wall ish, and everybody trying to justify and rationalize it, as if Trump was cognizant of the data that supported/rationalized whatever he said in the moment he said it.

He probably only said Norway because of the joint news conference he just had with their Prime Minister, and they probably treated him nicely before and after the conference so he wondered why he wasn't talking to more people like that.

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 01:23:51 AM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
So much of this presidency thus far is Trump saying some off-the-wall ish, and everybody trying to justify and rationalize it, as if Trump was cognizant of the data that supported/rationalized whatever he said in the moment he said it.

Agree, part of having a President who speaks in such a vague, rambling and ill-informed way is that people are motivated to read meaning that isn't really there. There's a strain of it that's very "leader is always right and definitely not a half-witted bigot, it's just up to us to interpret exactly how he's right this time", but it's true of a lot of detractors too, who can read too much malice or intent into things that are just plain old stupid. Here though, Trump has plenty of history with race and I think racial animosity is deep-seated enough that it's more likely to come out in an off-the-cuff statement.

He probably only said Norway because of the joint news conference he just had with their Prime Minister, and they probably treated him nicely before and after the conference so he wondered why he wasn't talking to more people like that.

Wouldn't say only, the guy clearly has some very, we'll say "rigid", ideas about good places and bad places and they very coincidentally tend to heavily overlap with racial demographics (and personal financial interest). But the specific country was almost certainly because of recently interacting with them.