Author Topic: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from  (Read 5076 times)

Re: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2018, 09:04:02 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2398
I just think itís strange people are using this issue to paint trump as a racist.  I donít think the comment has much to do with race

I don't think ANYONE here is trying to paint President Trump as a racist.

"I" don't and NEVER have.

But he has exhibited a pattern of commentary that leads to extreme ignorance racially. And that is both depressing to ME and saddening.

1. "Good People on BOTH sides", in Charlottesville.

2. His comments to Steph Curry about he and GSW not attending the White House.

3. His back-and-forth with the Mayor of San Juan.

4. His constant (and tiring) efforts and questioning about Pres. Obama's birthplace.

5. His back-and-forth with the widow of the slain soldier.

LOOK - I just stated on previous page of thread that if I (or my family) ever got the opportunity to meet President Trump I'm certain that he'd be a decent man and it would be a nice visit.

But WHY the comments from him? Why the pattern?

Your response has literally nothing to do with this issue, seems to be a pattern

And THAT, is, unfortunately - the rub.

As a Black Man in America I see things differently from "MY" Perspective than others.

I am guessing you are WHITE.

"MY" perspective is NOT wrong but because YOU don't see it then YOU think it's wrong.

And Rondoís perspective isnít wrong because you make assumptions about his race. Letís not be reductive here, assuming that race informs oneís opinion above all. Thatís a slippery slope into prejudice.  Feel free to share your own background, but please donít question or assume othersí.

I've shared my "Background" on here since 2009 and it's gotten me little - save for some Celtics cheering.

That is the sad and disappointing thing to me on CelticsBlog - the same place that looks up to Bill Russell.

Goalpost moves yet again

Rondo - I've made my point - as clearly and as succinctly as I could.

If you don't understand that then that's your choice.

You (or a few other posters on this blog that I won't mention) won't scare me away from here.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
I just think itís strange people are using this issue to paint trump as a racist.  I donít think the comment has much to do with race

But he has exhibited a pattern of commentary that leads to extreme ignorance racially. And that is both depressing to ME and saddening.

4. His constant (and tiring) efforts and questioning about Pres. Obama's birthplace.

LOOK - I just stated on previous page of thread that if I (or my family) ever got the opportunity to meet President Trump I'm certain that he'd be a decent man and it would be a nice visit.

Your response has literally nothing to do with this issue, seems to be a pattern

As a Black Man in America I see things differently from "MY" Perspective than others.

"MY" perspective is NOT wrong but because YOU don't see it then YOU think it's wrong.

And Rondoís perspective isnít wrong because you make assumptions about his race. Letís not be reductive here, assuming that race informs oneís opinion above all. Thatís a slippery slope into prejudice.  Feel free to share your own background, but please donít question or assume othersí.

I've shared my "Background" on here since 2009 and it's gotten me little - save for some Celtics cheering.

That is the sad and disappointing thing to me on CelticsBlog - the same place that looks up to Bill Russell.

Why should your race or background  ďget you anythingĒ more than anybody else, though?  People generally treat you respectfully, just like they do the majority of other posters.

For those who enjoy sharing their background, I think itís a great thing. At the same time, itís not a good thing to have posters openly making assumptions or stereotypes about others.

Roy - you are right.

I was wrong.

If you or Rondo2287 thought my posts were stereotyping then I apologize.

But typically what I'm finding out is that there is little common ground to be found at times with Race.

The best we seem to do as humans is simply share our experiences then move on.

« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »

Offline Erik

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 77
  • The voice of reason

It hasn't? I'm sorry. Thank you for being black like our savior Bill Russell. I'm sure you worked long and hard to be black.

As a fellow minority, no one cares what your race is. You may think everyone hates you and look for micro aggressions in basic conversation, but in reality, most people don't care where you come from and will respect you as long as you respect them. The sooner we understand that, the sooner we can all move passed this society where everyone has to be offended, all the time.

When Donald Trump says people from ****hole countries, you may think that that's a whistle for some kind of racial prejudice, but in reality he's asking why we're taking the worst of the 3rd worlders with little to contribute day 1, when we should be taking the best of the best. I liken it to Harvard. Is it racist that they have a screening process? No, it's just common sense that the best country (school) should take the best immigrants (students). Again, this is coming from someone whose parents are immigrants.

« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 815

Goalpost moves yet again

You (or a few other posters on this blog that I won't mention) won't scare me away from here.

I made a point and you went off on a string of unrelated posts.  Iím not trying to scare you just hoping for some decorum on the blog
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
I just think it’s strange people are using this issue to paint trump as a racist.  I don’t think the comment has much to do with race

And Rondo’s perspective isn’t wrong because you make assumptions about his race. Let’s not be reductive here, assuming that race informs one’s opinion above all. That’s a slippery slope into prejudice.  Feel free to share your own background, but please don’t question or assume others’.

It hasn't? I'm sorry. Thank you for being black like our savior Bill Russell. I'm sure you worked long and hard to be black.

As a fellow minority, no one cares what your race is. You may think everyone hates you and look for micro aggressions in basic conversation, but in reality, most people don't care where you come from and will respect you as long as you respect them. The sooner we understand that, the sooner we can all move passed this society where everyone has to be offended, all the time.

When Donald Trump says people from ****hole countries, you may think that that's a whistle for some kind of racial prejudice, but in reality he's asking why we're taking the worst of the 3rd worlders with little to contribute day 1, when we should be taking the best of the best. I liken it to Harvard. Is it racist that they have a screening process? No, it's just common sense that the best country (school) should take the best immigrants (students). Again, this is coming from someone whose parents are immigrants.

My "Savior" if you will - has always been and will always be Jesus Christ.

As for being Black? I love it and I love how God made me - as I hope and expect YOU do whatever your race/ethnicity/sex - is.

As for the 2nd bolded part - if that is your opinion then so be it. I don't agree with it and I think it is horrible then that's my opinion.

So - basically - if we did as President Trump suggested we'd only take people from Norway......the "Best of the Best" as you say.

When my ship visited Norway early in my Navy Career I saw not one Black person there.....................

« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2018, 09:33:56 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey

Goalpost moves yet again

I made a point and you went off on a string of unrelated posts.  Iím not trying to scare you just hoping for some decorum on the blog

To me they were related, Rondo - but you seem to not get it.

« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27932
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Okay, everybody, back on topic, please. Letís critique ideas, not each other.

There are some interesting ideas about race and perspective shared, but letís save that for a different thread (which anybody is free to start).

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »

Offline Erik

• Brad Stevens
  • The voice of reason
Yeah obviously taking people only from Norway is bad because diversity is proven to be an advantage. I'm thinking that it was more along the lines of him only knowing a handful of countries (he's not that bright) or just the first country that popped in his head.

Immigration should be based on excellence no matter what country or any kind of heritage. The goal isn't to just bring people here to throw them onto welfare. Why not pick the best? The ones who will innovate, build great things, and teach their kids to do the same?

« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2314
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeah obviously taking people only from Norway is bad because diversity is proven to be an advantage. I'm thinking that it was more along the lines of him only knowing a handful of countries (he's not that bright) or just the first country that popped in his head.

Immigration should be based on excellence no matter what country or any kind of heritage. The goal isn't to just bring people here to throw them onto welfare. Why not pick the best? The ones who will innovate, build great things, and teach their kids to do the same?

...yeah, but Trump didn't say, "Let's target people with masters and translatable skills', he lamented what he sees as too many Haitians and El Salvadorans, as well as people from some African nations as immigrants. Then he wanted to know why we do get more Norwegians.

Race plays a significant role there. The only 'merit' he discussed was country of origin. And of the countries mentioned, one of those things is not like the other.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »

Offline Erik

• Brad Stevens
  • The voice of reason

...yeah, but Trump didn't say, "Let's target people with masters and translatable skills', he lamented what he sees as too many Haitians and El Salvadorans, as well as people from some African nations as immigrants. Then he wanted to know why we do get more Norwegians.

Race plays a significant role there. The only 'merit' he discussed was country of origin. And of the countries mentioned, one of those things is not like the other.

And if he was upset that we have too many Bosnians or Romanians? How many brown people from those third world counties? Norway just happens to be a top tier country with an outstanding educational system. Not everyone sees everything in racially tinted glasses.

« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2314
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

And if he was upset that we have too many Bosnians or Romanians? How many brown people from those third world counties?

He did not say that. We can talk about "If he said this.." all day long, but what he said was racist.

I'm sure lots of people have said things that if they were framed differently would not be considered racist. That probably happens all the time to Trump. Where, if he'd only tweaked his comment a little, he'd sound like less of a racist. He just doesn't seem to not sound like a racist as often as he sounds like a racist, and his comment was racist, inherently, undeniably.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline Erik

• Brad Stevens
  • The voice of reason

And if he was upset that we have too many Bosnians or Romanians? How many brown people from those third world counties?

He did not say that. We can talk about "If he said this.." all day long, but what he said was racist.

I'm sure lots of people have said things that if they were framed differently would not be considered racist. That probably happens all the time to Trump. Where, if he'd only tweaked his comment a little, he'd sound like less of a racist. He just doesn't seem to not sound like a racist as often as he sounds like a racist, and his comment was racist, inherently, undeniably.

The Haitian Educational System yields the lowest total rate in the education realm of the Western Hemisphere.[3] Haiti's literacy rate of about 61% (64.3% for males and 57.3% for females) is below the 90% average literacy rate for Latin American and Caribbean countries. --Wikipedia

Whereas Norway is consistently top 20.

But yeah it's only because they're white.

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1200
And if he was upset that we have too many Bosnians or Romanians? How many brown people from those third world counties? Norway just happens to be a top tier country with an outstanding educational system. Not everyone sees everything in racially tinted glasses.
But he doesn't get upset about that, does he? He gets upset about Indians, Mexicans, Haitians and the likes.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2018, 10:28:08 AM »

Offline Erik

• Brad Stevens
  • The voice of reason
But he doesn't get upset about that, does he? He gets upset about Indians, Mexicans, Haitians and the likes.

He gets upset about illegal Mexican immigration like a president should.

Let me ask in another way. As a taxpayer and someone who has general interest in American prosperity, Would you rather have an average Haitian here who has a 40% chance of not being able to read or a Norwegian with a masters degree?

The answer to me is blatant regardless of the color of their skin.

« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1269

The Haitian Educational System yields the lowest total rate in the education realm of the Western Hemisphere.[3] Haiti's literacy rate of about 61% (64.3% for males and 57.3% for females) is below the 90% average literacy rate for Latin American and Caribbean countries. --Wikipedia

Whereas Norway is consistently top 20.

But yeah it's only because they're white.

It may be more apropos to your point to look at statistics pertaining to actual immigrants rather than their native country stats.  If Trump wants good, smart, ready-to-contribute people, these can be found in any country (maybe he should have begun with this).   It may also be likely that the thriving people from Norway don't have a great deal of interest in emigrating, while the impoverished people of Haiti and some African countries may be more likely to want to emigrate.  If the point is to welcome their best and brightest, I think most would agree. To paint a large swath of disdain toward anyone who comes from s-hole countries may not be what he intended to do, but it's what he did.