Author Topic: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from  (Read 6642 times)

Re: Trump uses expletive to describe countries that we have immigrants from
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »

Offline blink

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 292
Just another vulgar racist comment from an already known racist.  Why are we even surprised at this point?  He has repeatedly hurt our country with these types of comments.

In the days leading up to Martin Luther King day and a day after the meeting to solve the DACA issue, it is just shockingly idiotic.  Trump doesn't really get what makes our country great.  He will never get it.  There will be a small % of white nationalists that are going to cheer this.  It does nothing except divide us as a country
I dont really think this is necessarily racist.

The conversation is about protected status of immigrants from TPS countries. Effectively these countries are argued to be so dangerous that deportation isnt feasible. Trump has longed argued for merit-based immigration.

Now once again it seems Trump is taking a stance that helps white people and hurts minorities and with his background that is obviously going to raise some red flags, but correlation isnt always causation.

Well I am just going to have to disagree with you.  To say that an immigrant from Haiti (because of their country of origin) can't be an intelligent contributing citizen to the US but everyone from Norway is fine is pretty racist to me.  He might not use the words "black people" and "white people" but that is splitting hairs.  If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

His statement should be pretty offensive to all americans, well everyone but white national americans.

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 792
Just another vulgar racist comment from an already known racist.  Why are we even surprised at this point?  He has repeatedly hurt our country with these types of comments.

In the days leading up to Martin Luther King day and a day after the meeting to solve the DACA issue, it is just shockingly idiotic.  Trump doesn't really get what makes our country great.  He will never get it.  There will be a small % of white nationalists that are going to cheer this.  It does nothing except divide us as a country

The conversation is about protected status of immigrants from TPS countries. Effectively these countries are argued to be so dangerous that deportation isnt feasible. Trump has longed argued for merit-based immigration.

Now once again it seems Trump is taking a stance that helps white people and hurts minorities and with his background that is obviously going to raise some red flags, but correlation isnt always causation.

Well I am just going to have to disagree with you.  To say that an immigrant from Haiti (because of their country of origin) can't be an intelligent contributing citizen to the US but everyone from Norway is fine is pretty racist to me.  He might not use the words "black people" and "white people" but that is splitting hairs.  If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

His statement should be pretty offensive to all americans, well everyone but white national americans.
Im a little confused here.

Trump isnt arguing that these people cant be an intelligent contributing citizens. That came from your imagination. He is arguing specifically for the removal of a protected status from countries which have been deemed dangerous to deport people to. The countries are by definition, temporary ****holes. His proposal is to remove this status so immigrants must either attain a proper immigration status (e.g. a green card) or face deportation.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1526
  • bammokja
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-attacks-protections-for-immigrants-from-Ď****holeí-countries-in-oval-office-meeting/ar-AAuzqTo?li=BBnb7Kz

Unreal. This man disgraces the office he holds.

Also, apparently he wants more immigrants from Norway and less from the countries he insulted. Could it be most Norwegians are white?

Trump uses blunt language to describe 3rd world countries that provide low skilled workers. Instead he wants merit based immigration from other countries. Oh no....

Why don't you talk about the Clinton foundation stealing relief funds from Hati after the natural disaster?(among other things)

Hillary putting her brother in charge of gold mines in Hati?

Cry me a river....

Let me guess you're response,  "whataboutism "
well, isnt it?  ???
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy ó not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1278
When sentences begin with "what he was trying to say was" or "what he meant was" or "if he had said it this way..."  this is Trump's supporters acknowledging that Donald Trump, our President and the leader of the free world, has once again misspoken.   If he meant that he wants educated and best and brightest from around the world to come to America -- then that's what he should have said.   He's our genius President for gd sake. 

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Tiny Archibald

He's just always talking and acting like a racist but that doesn't make him one? I'd would have to disagree.
Legislating his whole body of questionable comments is a discussion for another thread.

This incident specifically is hardly evidence of racism.

I think it is more likely that he deemed these countries "****holes" because there exist by definition "conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country's nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately".

Lets call Trump racist when he does racist things. Not now.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 07:41:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5240
This doesnít really bother me. Itís a closed door meeting, and frankly, his question has some merit.

Are people really shocked and appalled to hear vulgarity?  Listen to a hot mic sometime. Politicians, celebrities, Joe Public... thereís not a lot of difference.
The vulgarity neither shocks me nor surprises me. Its how he did it insulting other countries. If he stuttered and said: Oh(word meaning crap). No big deal. If he is describing Obamacare and drops the f bomb. No biggie. But denigrating other countries(with mostly brown or black skinned people) is beneath the office of the president.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 07:42:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Tiny Archibald
When sentences begin with "what he was trying to say was" or "what he meant was" or "if he had said it this way..."  this is Trump's supporters acknowledging that Donald Trump, our President and the leader of the free world, has once again misspoken.   If he meant that he wants educated and best and brightest from around the world to come to America -- then that's what he should have said.   He's our genius President for gd sake. 

Not sure if you are making some sort of general comment, but in this thread 0 sentences have started with any of your quotes.

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 49
There is a migrant crisis going on right now in Europe that few around here realize the full extent of. http://www.euronews.com/2018/01/11/italy-and-france-urge-europe-to-increase-efforts-to-ease-migrant-crisis

Trump is probably right on this. Until we address domestic entitlements, open borders is not a good idea.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 49
This doesnít really bother me. Itís a closed door meeting, and frankly, his question has some merit.

Are people really shocked and appalled to hear vulgarity?  Listen to a hot mic sometime. Politicians, celebrities, Joe Public... thereís not a lot of difference.
The vulgarity neither shocks me nor surprises me. Its how he did it insulting other countries. If he stuttered and said: Oh(word meaning crap). No big deal. If he is describing Obamacare and drops the f bomb. No biggie. But denigrating other countries(with mostly brown or black skinned people) is beneath the office of the president.

So essentially, Trump wants people who are more likely educated and producers, and your first instinct is to say that it's likely racist? Sort of impulsive isn't it? That word gets thrown around way too carelessly nowadays.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1081
There is a migrant crisis going on right now in Europe that few around here realize the full extent of. http://www.euronews.com/2018/01/11/italy-and-france-urge-europe-to-increase-efforts-to-ease-migrant-crisis

Trump is probably right on this. Until we address domestic entitlements, open borders is not a good idea.

Yes I would say 400+ acid attacks in London last year is good cause for concern about who we are letting in....( among many other concerns).

I don't care what race the person is, just don't want low skilled people who can't assimilate to Western culture being brought in by the hundreds of thousands.

Why can't we worry about our own citizens?

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 244
I get the notion of keeping the Temporary in 'temporary protected status,' but at what point is a country no longer a crap hole?  Haiti has been the armpit of the Western Hemisphere since Columbus. I mean, I wouldn't even send my mother in law there.

This one isn't about policy, it's about the ability to communicate public ideas in a thoughtful, respectful, nuanced way.

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5240

So essentially, Trump wants people who are more likely educated and producers, and your first instinct is to say that it's likely racist? Sort of impulsive isn't it? That word gets thrown around way too carelessly nowadays.
I never said racist but add the Muslim ban with comments about Mexicans being thieves and racists with his not coming down hard on the Neo-Nazis in Charlottesville and finally calling countries with mostly brown or black people crapholes while saying he wants more Norwegians(white people) coming into the country and its not a good look for a US president in the 21st century.

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 08:07:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Tiny Archibald
I get the notion of keeping the Temporary in 'temporary protected status,' but at what point is a country no longer a crap hole?  Haiti has been the armpit of the Western Hemisphere since Columbus. I mean, I wouldn't even send my mother in law there.

This one isn't about policy, it's about the ability to communicate public ideas in a thoughtful, respectful, nuanced way.
What do you mean by "public ideas"

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 08:11:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1216
Trump uses blunt language to describe 3rd world countries that provide low skilled workers. Instead he wants merit based immigration from other countries. Oh no....
Oh yes, Trump "loves" merit based immigration. I'm guessing it's because the H1B program doesn't bring in too many Norwegians.

https://qz.com/1176576/h1b-visa-under-trump-is-already-harder-to-get/
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 08:11:59 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 442

Are people really shocked and appalled to hear vulgarity?

I think it's what he's saying Roy.  That's pretty disgusting.  Notice what country isn't a ****hole.  And the funniest part is they are a very socialized country politically.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:30:17 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford