Author Topic: How Is The Media Going To Handle Outright Lies From DJT & Surrogates?  (Read 21603 times)

Re: How Is The Media Going To Handle Outright Lies From DJT & Surrogates?
« Reply #360 on: March 31, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27932
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I am glad that the media is consistently calling out the lies but the more that they do the more it seems to strengthen the resolve of many die-hard Trump supporters.  This whole "everything anti-trump is FAKE NEWS" is driving me nuts.  I actually just read a Facebook argument where one guy said that a liberal using a factual article to prove a point against Trump makes the factual article opinion.  He did not argue the facts mind you, he just said that they were opinion if used against President Trump.  That is so mind numbingly absurd that I did not know how to reply to him.

The problem is that the media gives gives Trump supporters plenty of fodder, like this silly example:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/31/ap-reporter-calls-out-wapo-for-publishing-false-claim-about-rex-tillerson/?utm_campaign=thedcmainpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

I'm pretty skeptical of most of what I see in the media until it is picked up by multiple outlets. There's so much bias / exaggeration right now.

It's a self-inflicted wound. The media needs to focus on the real scandals; there are plenty to keep them busy. By trying to make headlines over nonsense, they cheapen and delegitamize the real stuff.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #361 on: March 31, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 79
I am glad that the media is consistently calling out the lies but the more that they do the more it seems to strengthen the resolve of many die-hard Trump supporters.  This whole "everything anti-trump is FAKE NEWS" is driving me nuts.  I actually just read a Facebook argument where one guy said that a liberal using a factual article to prove a point against Trump makes the factual article opinion.  He did not argue the facts mind you, he just said that they were opinion if used against President Trump.  That is so mind numbingly absurd that I did not know how to reply to him.

The problem is that the media gives gives Trump supporters plenty of fodder, like this silly example:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/31/ap-reporter-calls-out-wapo-for-publishing-false-claim-about-rex-tillerson/?utm_campaign=thedcmainpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

I'm pretty skeptical of most of what I see in the media until it is picked up by multiple outlets. There's so much bias / exaggeration right now.
I agree that there are some bias and exaggeration from both sides, but coming out and basically saying "facts are only opinion if I do not like how you use them" is another level of insane and that kind of thinking seems to be very frequent with hard core Trump supporters.  Again, this man did not dispute the facts at all but instead put a Kellyanne Conway level spin move on.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #362 on: March 31, 2017, 06:58:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I agree that there are some bias and exaggeration from both sides, but coming out and basically saying "facts are only opinion if I do not like how you use them" is another level of insane and that kind of thinking seems to be very frequent with hard core Trump supporters.  Again, this man did not dispute the facts at all but instead put a Kellyanne Conway level spin move on.

Well, you'll never get through to the nuts and diehards. Every fact is just twisted to fit into their conspiracy.

« Reply #363 on: January 15, 2018, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2314
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It turns out we know the answer to this question now; The media will have every possible reaction from indulging Trump to outrage, doesn’t matter. Ol’ Don just hit 2,000 lies.

https://youtu.be/qQruDaf7bKs

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 961

Me, too.   News =propaganda nowadays and it was this way before Trump, too.

« Reply #365 on: January 15, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 240

I understand the sentiment, but I think it's important to not overuse "propaganda". There's a reason why Fox News got pulled off the air in the UK, and it's not because they are a bunch of liberals. Yeah, CNN can be crap too, but lumping everything together as propaganda is exactly the trap actual propagandists want you to fall into.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I understand the sentiment, but I think it's important to not overuse "propaganda". There's a reason why Fox News got pulled off the air in the UK, and it's not because they are a bunch of liberals. Yeah, CNN can be crap too, but lumping everything together as propaganda is exactly the trap actual propagandists want you to fall into.

CNN is very quickly approaching the propaganda line. They used to be Center-left. Now, they’re a full-on leftist opposition network. The quality of their coverage has slipped as they’ve emphasized  making Trump look bad over accuracy.  They’re about the same as MSNBC now, and that wasn’t the case two years ago.

« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 103

CNN is very quickly approaching the propaganda line. They used to be Center-left. Now, they’re a full-on leftist opposition network. The quality of their coverage has slipped as they’ve emphasized  making Trump look bad over accuracy.  They’re about the same as MSNBC now, and that wasn’t the case two years ago.
I would quite comfortably put CNN in the propaganda pile. They're laughably bad, and it's incredibly transparent
Quote from: PhoSita
It's not rational, but sports fandom isn't supposed to be.

« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 72
  • @ApocryphalTale
I’d be interested to hear where you all get your news? I mainly try to stick to the News Wires and Economist.
Twitter: @ApocryphalTale

« Reply #369 on: January 15, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney

I would quite comfortably put CNN in the propaganda pile. They're laughably bad, and it's incredibly transparent

Then you don't care about the definition of propaganda. It's not the same as "crappy" or "biased". We can agree that there is a serious problem with news media these days, but calling CNN "propaganda" is absolutely wrong. Not knowing the difference is the GOAL of propaganda.
---
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #370 on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:24 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney

Maybe so, but they still aren't propaganda today. Full stop. I'm sorry to be so pedantic, but I think the meaning of the word is important to keep track of.
---
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #371 on: January 15, 2018, 09:49:22 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 47
I’d be interested to hear where you all get your news? I mainly try to stick to the News Wires and Economist.

Twitter. Don't @ me  :P
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

« Reply #372 on: January 15, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 103

Then you don't care about the definition of propaganda. It's not the same as "crappy" or "biased". We can agree that there is a serious problem with news media these days, but calling CNN "propaganda" is absolutely wrong. Not knowing the difference is the GOAL of propaganda.
Hmm.
information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.

Alright then  :)
Quote from: PhoSita
It's not rational, but sports fandom isn't supposed to be.