Author Topic: My Outrageous, Green-Tinted, Best-case Scenario Player Comparison for Jayson Tat  (Read 4818 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If he grows a couple inches over the summer -- not implausible -- I could see the comparison.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
My Outrageous, Green-Tinted, Best-case Scenario Player Comparison for Jayson Tatum is Larry Bird with longer arms! If he improves at ever aspect of his game year after year!

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
My comp is Paul Pierce+Larry Bird without the legendary passing and BBIQ.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
To be honest I've never quite seen the Tatum/Pierce comparison, besides maybe they wanted to compare him to another Celtic. To me Tatum looks a lot smoother and more skilled than Pierce was early on. Pierce was more scrappy for a lack of a better word.

But his ceiling I could only speculate.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
There are obvious physical differences between Tatum and Durant but I still think KD is his best comp as a player who can create his own offense, knock down 3's, and change games with his defense. I also think (hope) he can have a Durant-like (or Pierce-like) development as a passer.

I think he has the vision and the willingness, he just needs the experience and to grow into a bigger role.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just listened to the Banners Broadcast. The host said he ran into Tatum over the holidays at the Celtic facility. He said he was taller than 6'8''. He thought he was as tall as Horford.

Obviously an unverified source. Its not like he took a picture of Tatum with a measurement. Still, comments like this and Jeff Van Gundy's about him close to 7' are starting to add up.

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I'm not sure exactly why but he reminds me of Kevin McHale if McHale could shoot 3's.

He just seems to know how to score inside so many different ways, though I don't think he will ever have that kind of wingspan.

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I believe the pre-draft comparison was Melo.  Except, surprise, he's got a 3 point shot!  I want more Tatum!  If he continues to crank up his handles and his core strength, he is going to be one hell of a scoring threat.   Talking about an all 3 levels scorer.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm not sure exactly why but he reminds me of Kevin McHale if McHale could shoot 3's.

He just seems to know how to score inside so many different ways, though I don't think he will ever have that kind of wingspan.
McHale could shoot 3's

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Just listened to the Banners Broadcast. The host said he ran into Tatum over the holidays at the Celtic facility. He said he was taller than 6'8''. He thought he was as tall as Horford.

Obviously an unverified source. Its not like he took a picture of Tatum with a measurement. Still, comments like this and Jeff Van Gundy's about him close to 7' are starting to add up.

I was sitting courtside for the season opener against the Bucks and at one point he was side by side with Aron Baynes.  He looked to be virtually the same height... maybe 1" shorter. 

Based on the way he skies for rebounds and can beat everyone to the ball, he either has really underrated athleticism still, or he is taller than 6'8", or both.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07