Author Topic: My Outrageous, Green-Tinted, Best-case Scenario Player Comparison for Jayson Tat  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I always argued that Tatums's floor was Paul George and his ceiling is Kevin Durant.

For brown it's floor Jimmy Butler and ceiling Kawhi Leonard.

I think we have a very different definition of “floor”.

What was, say, Tyreke Evans’ floor after his rookie year? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I always argued that Tatums's floor was Paul George and his ceiling is Kevin Durant.

I think if you said his "best case scenario floor" that would make both your posts mesh.  So in a best case scenario, Tatum will be no worse than George but could be as good as Durant. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Ya, to say anyone's floor is Paul George or Jimmy Butler is insane, those are  top 10-15 players in this league. The odds are actually against either Tatum or Brown being that good. Floor is more like "What if they have around Marginal to Average improvement from where they are now for players of their age?" Maybe you could say Iguodala for Brown and Granger for Tatum, but maybe that's even rosy.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Watching Tatum rise up over Embiid and drop in that arcing jump shot? Watching him go around Simmons and put in a reverse layup while Simmons and Embiid had to just watch? Yes. I see the Durant comparison.

People are saying he isn’t Durant or George now? You can’t ever be sure? Of course. That’s a truism. But watch him and ask can he be at that level? The talent and the mental makeup both say YES!

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It’s not outrageous. A few people here actually have had the same player comparison of Durant. I agree 100% that he can reach the Durant level.  For this reason, Tatum must be untouchable in trade offers.

Imagine the looks Tatum will get when Hayward comes arrive

I don't think it is crazy but if I am not mistaken Durant is taller and longer.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He is special.

I watched him take over the game today in the 3rd. He's done this several times now this season.

I saw Pierce do this back in the day.

He doesn't (as yet) seem to be as good a facilitator as PP was but this will surely come for him.

He seems to play within the game and I know he's still trying to learn it - which is scary (for our opponents).

Our nightmare 2-4 lineup of JB, GH and JT will be devastating for opponents. This is not even taking into account Big Al and Kyrie.

Coach Brad Steven's goal of Position-less Basketball is coming to fruition.

But yeah Durant comparisons as well as our own PP is warranted.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He is special.

I watched him take over the game today in the 3rd. He's done this several times now this season.

I saw Pierce do this back in the day.

He doesn't (as yet) seem to be as good a facilitator as PP was but this will surely come for him.

He seems to play within the game and I know he's still trying to learn it - which is scary (for our opponents).

Our nightmare 2-4 lineup of JB, GH and JT will be devastating for opponents. This is not even taking into account Big Al and Kyrie.

Coach Brad Steven's goal of Position-less Basketball is coming to fruition.

But yeah Durant comparisons as well as our own PP is warranted.

Yeah, his passing isn't quite as good yet, but it's gotten better already this season. There is still the deer in the headlight to a small degree were it's do the one thing, but do it well, were some one like Irving can do and see everything.

Keep having to tell myself kids still 19, and going to be playing in the playoffs in a few months. Then we will see if this kid has it now, or if it's going to take a bit longer.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
if both Tatum/brown never developed any more they already would be valuable NBA starting players averaging 14ppg.But with their age, they both have many more years to develop. I feel like tatum has a higher ceiling but Brown did take a huge 2nd year leap.

Tatum has the look of a 20+PPG NBA scorer. The kid has all the moves offensively already and has a knack to take over games at times/hit Clutch shots...as a rookie...

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If Tatum becomes even 80% of Kevin Durant, I'll be happy  ;D

I certainly see the similarities in the sense that Tatum has that ability to take over games, hit clutch shots, use his length to drive to the hoop and score, and can literally create his own shot and score from anywhere. Sort of like Pierce too. And Tatum's defense for his current age is also pretty good, and will only get better (like Jaylen's has too).

Oh man, let me put on my Green-Tinted glasses and say Tatum could become a hybrid version of Durant and Pierce  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I have seen flashes of Durant and a spirit of Pierce as well. At the end of the day when all is said and done, Tatum will have more championship titles then Durant(even on Warriors). It would not surprise me that in 20 years, both Tatum and Brown will be hanging high in the rafters. We are in for a glorious ride!

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Danny Ainge has IMO pulled off an NBA version of a Naked Reverse.

For him to swap the 1st pick with PHI while snagging JT with the 3rd pick AND grabbing The Lakers pick from PHI is HUGE.

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Butler and George are exceptional floors.  I'd be pretty happy if those were the outcomes for Tatum and Brown.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Clyde Drexler was a great comp someone came up with in another thread.

Seems super stupid to compare Butler, George, and Durant in the same breath. They are all entirely unique players, and this is undoubted a case of recency bias interacting with everyone's dreams for what he could become..

Tatum definitely has a 70's/80's game. Julius Erving springs to mind too.

Any old-timers out there who Tatum reminds them of?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Clyde Drexler was a great comp someone came up with in another thread.

Seems super stupid to compare Butler, George, and Durant in the same breath. They are all entirely unique players, and this is undoubted a case of recency bias interacting with everyone's dreams for what he could become..

Tatum definitely has a 70's/80's game. Julius Erving springs to mind too.

Any old-timers out there who Tatum reminds them of?
A bit of Gervin with the layups feel wise.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA