Author Topic: An early look at Players Cs could take with late 1st  (Read 9483 times)

Re: An early look at Players Cs could take with late 1st
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I think whoever they take should be NBA ready otherwise he's not going to crack the rotation for years. Kinda why I wanted to trade the first for Evans. They need to look for a Kuzma, Brogdan type of player.

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 01:55:35 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think whoever they take should be NBA ready otherwise he's not going to crack the rotation for years. Kinda why I wanted to trade the first for Evans. They need to look for a Kuzma, Brogdan type of player.
Jalen Brunson, 'Nova; Bonzie Colson, NDame (weird kind of player for his height) and Shake Milton, SMU, fit the bill as well as about 6 or 7 others. You may get your wish if someone (like Gary Trent) doesn't fall through the cracks.

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Jalen Brunson, 'Nova; Bonzie Colson, NDame (weird kind of player for his height) and Shake Milton, SMU, fit the bill as well as about 6 or 7 others. You may get your wish if someone (like Gary Trent) doesn't fall through the cracks.

nbadraftroom identifies Kostja Mushidi as a potential Brogdon type.  And his profile there makes him sound like a very desirable player, especially if we can't hold onto Smart.  I think he'll be gone by the Celtics pick.

Meanwhile, Shake Milton is a baseball player's name.  Obviously no one informed him of that.

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

nbadraftroom identifies Kostja Mushidi as a potential Brogdon type.  And his profile there makes him sound like a very desirable player, especially if we can't hold onto Smart.  I think he'll be gone by the Celtics pick.

Meanwhile, Shake Milton is a baseball player's name.  Obviously no one informed him of that.

That's a real dilemma. I do like the name Shake Milton for any type of athlete, but it's hard to give up the unintentional humor of Tommy trying to pronounce Kostja Mushidi.

Mike

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Last year's draft was really deep.  I've gotten the impression this year's is not, but Joogle offers little info. on it.  Is it still to early to tell?  Any one have insight into this?  Seems a draft as deep as last year comes every 3 years or so on average.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Last year's draft was really deep.  I've gotten the impression this year's is not, but Joogle offers little info. on it.  Is it still to early to tell?  Any one have insight into this?  Seems a draft as deep as last year comes every 3 years or so on average.

This year’s class is maybe not quite as deep as last year’s but not too far off.  For the caliber of player you hope to get in the late 1st, it’s about the same.  A little less deep at the top (the drop off starts 6-7 players in instead of near the end of the lottery like last year).

Next year’s class looks not good, however.

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2018, 03:04:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This year’s class is maybe not quite as deep as last year’s but not too far off.  For the caliber of player you hope to get in the late 1st, it’s about the same.  A little less deep at the top (the drop off starts 6-7 players in instead of near the end of the lottery like last year).

If the league gets rid of the one and done rule, like they are discussing, though doesn't that make next year's draft much better?

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

If the league gets rid of the one and done rule, like they are discussing, though doesn't that make next year's draft much better?

It does, but it doesn’t seem like that process is moving very quickly.

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 03:10:29 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Thanks.  I've been unable to find that info anywhere.  That's a solid class based on how guys like John Collins, Jarrett Allen, Anunoby, Kuzma, Hart, etc. have looked so far. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As youth coaching starts earlier, improves and proliferates, we are going to see more deeper drafts. Simple numbers. Tatum a good example of a kid who got really good coaching at a very young age, which is why his skill level is so advanced at such a young age. You hear the older pros like Pierce comment about this sometimes.

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Thanks.  I've been unable to find that info anywhere.  That's a solid class based on how guys like John Collins, Jarrett Allen, Anunoby, Kuzma, Hart, etc. have looked so far.

Yeah, I've seen multiple recent mocks with players like Keita Bates-Diop and Hamidou Diallo in the late 20s.  Bates-Diop has been talked about a lot in this thread -- he looks like a day one contributor as a four-year college player who brings plus defense and distance shooting.  Diallo is more of a high-upside gamble of a pick, who had a chance to be a 1st round pick last year while skipping college altogether (like Thon Maker) but pulled out of the draft after not being able to get a high enough guarantee.  He's totally a Toronto type of pick, except that they don't have one this year.

There's still risk on who you pick, of course, but that late 1st has a real chance to produce a very good player.

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Only if it applies to this year's underclassmen, which it doesn't. Then you're looking at the 2020 draft and beyond. Next year's draft doesn't look so hot right now and will be even worse if the incoming freshman have to stick around an extra year.

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2018, 03:52:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Only if it applies to this year's underclassmen, which it doesn't. Then you're looking at the 2020 draft and beyond. Next year's draft doesn't look so hot right now and will be even worse if the incoming freshman have to stick around an extra year.

There are competing proposals.  One version of eliminating the one-and-done rule, that Silver seemed to lean towards in December, would allow high school entry again.  The other would be a two-and-done, which he seemed to favor in the past.  I think the FBI scandal pushed him and some owners towards this newer position, but as that fades from the news, I think consensus won't form around it.  Two-and-done is probably DOA with the union as well, so I don't see that happening.

Allowing players to skip college would steal from the 2020 draft and make the 2019 draft a bit better than it otherwise projects to be.

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 04:02:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

There are competing proposals.  One version of eliminating the one-and-done rule, that Silver seemed to lean towards in December, would allow high school entry again.  The other would be a two-and-done, which he seemed to favor in the past.  I think the FBI scandal pushed him and some owners towards this newer position, but as that fades from the news, I think consensus won't form around it.  Two-and-done is probably DOA with the union as well, so I don't see that happening.

Allowing players to skip college would steal from the 2020 draft and make the 2019 draft a bit better than it otherwise projects to be.
I read that this seems to be a decision that will come this offseason. Can't remember who wrote the article so not sure how reliable that info is.

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I read that this seems to be a decision that will come this offseason. Can't remember who wrote the article so not sure how reliable that info is.

It has to go through union negotation in addition to owner ratification -- if they don't have a proposal out before this upcoming draft, I'd be surprised if it happened in time for 2019.  Because it impacts trades, they don't normally like to change rules of the draft in that league year.

And the main proposal is to allow kids to enter from high school, or require at least two years in college if you go to school.  So how would incoming freshmen, currently eligible in 2019, be affected?  Would they be pushed into 2020?