Author Topic: An early look at Players Cs could take with late 1st  (Read 9487 times)

Re: An early look at Players Cs could take with late 1st
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Is it too soon to say Tyreke Evans?????
Makes me almost physically ill to even think about these bottom of the barrel picks, when we could have had TEvans, only 28, 6'6", averaging 19/5/5, and shooting nearly 40% on threes and 80% from the line!  Making a little over 3 mil a year. SMH!!

But nah. Let's save our late first-rounder who will most likely have little to zero impact for the Celtics (and Danny Ainge has had a decent history of selecting some bad picks in the mid/late rounds) instead of trading it for Tyreke Evans!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ok have my new favorite option for the late 1st

Keita Bates-Diop

Ohio State redshirt Jr.

6'7

235lb

reported 7'2" wingspan

currently averaging just under 20pts 9 RB 1.8 BLKS 1.1STL while shooting 37.6% from 3 on 5 attempts

seems like a perfect fit as a low ceiling high floor backup wing player who can play up as a small ball 4.
He's currently projected to go somewhere mid-1st. I think folks are on to him. Good player. Does a lot of things well.

The latest ESPN mock by Givony has Bates-Diop to us at #27.  He can guard 4-5 positions.  His scoring has really picked up this year.  Ceiling is a bit lower on account of his age, but he has the mark of a late bloomer.  The coaching at Ohio State really lagged for a couple of years, and I think that change has done him some real good.  He could wind up being the PF version of James Young, of course, but he could also turn into a cheaper version of Marcus Morris by year 2, and maybe a better version of Semi by next year.

Definitely someone I’d be happy to hear announced as our pick in June.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ainge's thought bubble while looking at this draft...

"That guy is too big....that guy is too....long.....that guy is too famous....I want a little guy, one that tries really, really hard....you know? 5'11" 182 pounds?"

Danny Ainge wants undersized guards that can't shoot. That's what we would have instead of Brown and Tatum, there just weren't any available in the top 5.

(Remain calm this post is meant to be sarcastic....it's February and the sun come out two hours a week and the Celtics aren't playing so good)

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Its destiny.  Troy Brown is coming to the Celtics!  I think he's a good all around player that can play both guard positions and defend 3 positions.  He has a ridiculous wingspan and is standing at 6'6. 

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Makes me almost physically ill to even think about these bottom of the barrel picks, when we could have had TEvans, only 28, 6'6", averaging 19/5/5, and shooting nearly 40% on threes and 80% from the line!  Making a little over 3 mil a year. SMH!!

No, it would be having Evans for 30 games and then losing him for nothing, when we could have some better player in trade with the 1st rounder, or a cost-controlled player for the next several years, with the option to keep him if he's good and cut him after two years if he's not.

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

No, it would be having Evans for 30 games and then losing him for nothing, when we could have some better player in trade with the 1st rounder, or a cost-controlled player for the next several years, with the option to keep him if he's good and cut him after two years if he's not.

Not to mention the often overlooked fact that Evans was a career 29.5% from 3 entering this year, and is shooting 29% in 2018, so there is a decent chance that this is still a sub-par shooter who just had a couple of good months, and nothing more.

Evan Turner once had a 3-month stretch where he shot 42% from 3.  It happens.

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

"That guy is too big....that guy is too....long.....that guy is too famous....I want a little guy, one that tries really, really hard....you know? 5'11" 182 pounds?"

Danny Ainge wants undersized guards that can't shoot
. That's what we would have instead of Brown and Tatum, there just weren't any available in the top 5.

(Remain calm this post is meant to be sarcastic....it's February and the sun come out two hours a week and the Celtics aren't playing so good)
such as tatum? or yabusele? or ojeleye? or zizic? or brown?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 10:26:55 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

. That's what we would have instead of Brown and Tatum, there just weren't any available in the top 5.

you have to admit most picks before 2016 fit the undersized guard bill

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He did already preempt your argument by acknowledging Tatum and Brown, and also made the disclaimer now in green...

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Danny Ainge wants undersized guards that can't shoot. That's what we would have instead of Brown and Tatum, there just weren't any available in the top 5.

Where are you, in Alaska?

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 04:14:04 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I don’t get not pulling the trigger. We are not getting a better player than Evans for just that pick. If it’s part of a package, I’m sure a future first would suffice (and maybe more desired). It’s wonderful to have a cost-controlled player or stash a guy like the SAS-model of sustained success, but you gotta do better with your stashes than Yabu or Zizic who still can’t get PT (but perhaps it’s too soon for each?).

We have a lot of players on rookie deals, I don’t think another 25+ pick is that necessary. And many drafts you can buy into the latter part of the first round. If this was a probably mid-first or even potential lottery pick, that’s a different story. Yeah maybe you strike gold with a late first, but what are the odds? Ainge is an excellent GM but has plenty of whiffs in the 20’s. Other than a Rondo, most usually don’t pan out.

Evans could have been an impact player for us in the playoffs. I think we are better than we’ve played these last couple weeks (against tough EC teams), but another scorer would be huge.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Ok have my new favorite option for the late 1st

Keita Bates-Diop

Ohio State redshirt Jr.

6'7

235lb

reported 7'2" wingspan

currently averaging just under 20pts 9 RB 1.8 BLKS 1.1STL while shooting 37.6% from 3 on 5 attempts

seems like a perfect fit as a low ceiling high floor backup wing player who can play up as a small ball 4.

YES YES YES. Seen every game he has played at OSU. He has improved each year and is very good this year. He would be a great pick.

Can defend 1-4, rebounds and has an inside and outside game. Very steady. Will be Big 10 POY. He was hampered last year with a fracture in his leg. OSU was not very good so they shut him down to get better.

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55

Why does everyone just assume that the C's wouldn't resign him?  Why I purposely mentioned he's only 28, and if he helped C's make a great run in the playoffs and was happy here, why wouldn't he want to come back, money being equal?

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

(Staying calm) you do realize Ainge as never drafted a truly undersized guard? The only real exception was Avery who I think he drafted figuring they would develop him into a point guard where he would have had decent size. He also seems to put a premium on positional length.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Why does everyone just assume that the C's wouldn't resign him?  Why I purposely mentioned he's only 28, and if he helped C's make a great run in the playoffs and was happy here, why wouldn't he want to come back, money being equal?

The most the Cs would be able to offer Evans if he was traded for or even still in this off-season is the MLE (around 8.5mill). The Cs are likely going to need that exception to fill the void at center.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet