Author Topic: Is this a quiet 6 game winning streak?  (Read 2471 times)

Is this a quiet 6 game winning streak?
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Kind of interesting that we have quietly put together a 6 game win streak with wins over 2 contenders (Cleveland, Rockets) and a current top 4 team in the west. Has this stretch changed anyone's thinking on the team after some panic was setting in from a .500 stretch? How many more games will the streak reach? Curious what others think of the current state of the team and this win streak...

Re: Is this a quiet 6 game winning streak?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Looking at a longer period of time, the Celtics are 17-8 since the winning streak ended.  That .680 winning percentage would be 4th in the league if we played at even that level all season.  We’re also tied for the third-best record (with San Antonio) from the time the Heat beat us.  Obviously, we’ve played even better overall, but our record for the most part isn’t due largely to one hot streak.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It’s definitely a sneaky little streak. We played so many games in so few days that I didn’t even realize we rolled off 6 straight.

I think we are on pace for around 63-64 wins right now and I would think think our second half schedule is much more favorable than the first half. We may play a few more road games than home, but we have plenty more off days.

We won all our home games against the West’s top-4, so let’s hope we can pull out a few in their arenas (having already lost in San Antonio).

I still think we are a 60 win team (without Hayward, who would’ve thunk?) and probably first seed. I know Toronto has been playing well but they are due for a funky stretch. Cleveland is now 4 losses back and look in disarray again. Then Washington and the rest are 7+ losses back which is a ton to make up in half a season.

So really the top seed comes down to us, Toronto, and maybe Cleveland. But really I think Cleveland will more than likely be holding off Washington and Milwaukee most of the second half rather than challenge us or Toronto for the top seed.

Never would I have imagined after that first game that the first half of the season would have been as enjoyable as it has been. I think there are plenty of storylines (will Hayward return, will DA use the DPE or make a significant trade, will we get the top seed again, what odds will we get with the Lakers pick, etc) to make the second half even more fun, so let’s hope the C’s play as well as they have been.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Kind of interesting that we have quietly put together a 6 game win streak with wins over 2 contenders (Cleveland, Rockets) and a current top 4 team in the west. Has this stretch changed anyone's thinking on the team after some panic was setting in from a .500 stretch? How many more games will the streak reach? Curious what others think of the current state of the team and this win streak...

This streak has been quiet, but it's helped me to see that things such as schedule have had a big negative impact on the team, and that this team—when given proper rest—is a lot to reckon with.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Looking at a longer period of time, the Celtics are 17-8 since the winning streak ended.  That .680 winning percentage would be 4th in the league if we played at even that level all season.  We’re also tied for the third-best record (with San Antonio) from the time the Heat beat us.  Obviously, we’ve played even better overall, but our record for the most part isn’t due largely to one hot streak.

I find this interesting because I saw a number of fans arguing that the streak was a mirage and the .500 stretch was closer to what we would do the rest of the season. The stats since then (and some of these big wins) do not support that.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not read much into it either way.   We are going to win some more games and lose some more games.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:01:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I would not read much into it either way.   We are going to win some more games and lose some more games.

well yes. But that viewpoint would leave us very little to talk about.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:22:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

well yes. But that viewpoint would leave us very little to talk about.

I think it is important that Celtics ran off this streak without fanfare because it signals now that we are legitimately expected to win, so it is not considered newsworthy that we ran off a string of wins. Celtics win six straight ho hum.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The only reason Celtics was on slump last year because of the hectic schedule regardless of the quality of teams they faced. Look how much focused they are with two days of rest or more compared to one.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:36:00 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
There's always a temptation to assume the team is as good as it's most recent handful of games. The reality is that teams are much more represented (in most cases) by the largest sample of games possible. Streaks within that larger sample should be taken as trends, for sure, but overall strength of a team is more accurately judged by the streaks' influence on the overall record than by a given streak separately.

Is this team 6-0 good, or 16-0 good (1.000)? No. But they are 33-10 good evidently.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Looking at the schedule, the Celtics should win the next 6 games before heading into Golden State. Might have a 12 game winning streak by then.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:38:12 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I don't mind the lack of media attention. I just want them to keep winning.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
It’s definitely a sneaky little streak. We played so many games in so few days that I didn’t even realize we rolled off 6 straight.

I think we are on pace for around 63-64 wins right now and I would think think our second half schedule is much more favorable than the first half. We may play a few more road games than home, but we have plenty more off days.

We won all our home games against the West’s top-4, so let’s hope we can pull out a few in their arenas (having already lost in San Antonio).

I still think we are a 60 win team (without Hayward, who would’ve thunk?) and probably first seed. I know Toronto has been playing well but they are due for a funky stretch. Cleveland is now 4 losses back and look in disarray again. Then Washington and the rest are 7+ losses back which is a ton to make up in half a season.

So really the top seed comes down to us, Toronto, and maybe Cleveland. But really I think Cleveland will more than likely be holding off Washington and Milwaukee most of the second half rather than challenge us or Toronto for the top seed.

Never would I have imagined after that first game that the first half of the season would have been as enjoyable as it has been. I think there are plenty of storylines (will Hayward return, will DA use the DPE or make a significant trade, will we get the top seed again, what odds will we get with the Lakers pick, etc) to make the second half even more fun, so let’s hope the C’s play as well as they have been.

Amen!
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Thanks Captain Obvious.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 11:45:00 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I find this interesting because I saw a number of fans arguing that the streak was a mirage and the .500 stretch was closer to what we would do the rest of the season. The stats since then (and some of these big wins) do not support that.

I do think the record post-win streak is more representative of who this team is but, as saltlover pointed out, the record since then is 17-8 which is terrific.

I think this smaller streak has been quiet because of the length of the earlier streak and that a lot of these wins have been close. But regardless of what the media thinks of it, I've been very encouraged that the stretch where they went 5-6 does not seem to be who this team really is.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008