Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas gets ejected for clothesline on Wiggins.  (Read 4312 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas gets ejected for clothesline on Wiggins.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
IT immediately apologized after the foul. I don't think he meant to clobber him in the throat/neck and realized how bad it was after.

He's a competitve/chippy guy and we all knew that when he was here. Just a frustration foul in a blowout that he went too high with and was late so instead of a hard swipe on the ball it became a clothesline.

Deserved ejection.

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It definitely was a very odd play but IT has never been dirty and he was immediately apologetic.  I really think he just unthinkingly swung his arm in frustration.  Which can hurt someone so an ejection is fine but I don't see anything more.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
He continues to show his immaturity and why it was a great idea to trade this bum.  Celtics need to seriously get rid of that tribute on the 11th
He absolutely deserves a tribute but I'm still lost on why they didn't have it on the 3rd.. I felt like IT not playing that back to back was the perfect opportunity to give him a tribute while also not affecting the game. Too many times it feels like they have the tributes while that player is in the game and try to get in their head somewhat with the video and it just brings out a lot of emotions sometimes even firing up said player against former team. Now they want to do it on pierce night and it just don't feel right
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not IT's shining moment.  Definitely a bush league play.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The NBA just announced that Isaiah Thomas was fined $20K, no suspension, for his lariat on Andrew Wiggins. So Cavs will have him Thursday in Toronto.

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/951180276411060225

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If I remember correctly he did a similar thing while he was on the Celtics, same upward hand chop into someone's grill.

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 05:53:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If I remember correctly he did a similar thing while he was on the Celtics, same upward hand chop into someone's grill.

Not that I remember. He was only ejected twice with the Celtics, once in his debut for arguing a call, and against Miami last year for this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS1uADshXNw

I still think that’s a weak call.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 06:01:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
IT is short but he probably outweights wiggins . IT has huge arms .   IT is a cannonball .

I watched the replay many times , it looked mighty intentional, even though i doubt it was..and if i had the short time to make the call the refs do ,  id kicked him out too.

Thing is he does not look mad or really paying attention to to make an exact play ......seems he just throws an arm out .....if it does something good fine,  IT at this point can 't leap to stop Wiggins , so he makes a clumy play to show effort and Wiigins got hurt .   Reading his expression after the fact , he was like oh great , now this too add to the team troubles tonight.   

I think it was not premeditated,   he threw his arm out carelessly at the player ,  kinda like waving a loaded gun and it goes off and hurts somebody.

I think the refs did the right thing , followed the rules and kicked IT .  That was the correct call.   I give him a pass on doing premeditation. Sloppy half wayplaying defense. Not caring.

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 06:04:33 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I remember worrying about whether he would be suspended for whatever happened with Schroder in the playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
He smacked Schroeder in the playoffs.

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Not that I remember. He was only ejected twice with the Celtics, once in his debut for arguing a call, and against Miami last year for this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS1uADshXNw

I still think that’s a weak call.

He got a post-game flagrant 1 for his swipe at Schroder (the refs completely missed it live). It wasn’t his best moment, and the NBA could have justified a stiffer penalty.  But it was the playoffs, Schroder may have embellished it a bit (or he may not have, the camera just wasn’t clear), and arguably Schroder initiated the contact.

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2016/story/_/id/15307949/2016-nba-playoffs-isaiah-thomas-boston-celtics-seen-hitting-dennis-schroder-atlanta-hawks

There’s a video in the attached article that ultimately shows the highlight (after 40 seconds of ESPN talking heads).  I remember being legitimately nervous that he’d be suspended for a game, and was hoping for a post-game flagrant to but with no suspension.