Poll

Who is the best/most complete defender on this team?

Marcus Smart
Al Horford
Aron Baynes
Jaylen Brown
Semi Ojeleye
Other - comment please

Author Topic: Who is the best/most complete defender on this team?  (Read 2607 times)

Re: Who is the best/most complete defender on this team?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Horford, Brown and Smart are very good defenders.   Tatum is up there, too.  I like Theis on D, too.   I have to go with Al as the best as well.  Baynes and Semi have been helped too at times.  Especially Baynes who eats space like no one's business.  I love how we play defense as a team, too.

Nader gets my vote for the worst defender.

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 06:12:06 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Brown still is figuring it out, he's really good overall but you can see he still struggles at times against various veterans. First year as a primary rotation player though so I don't mind too much.

It is Horford for me by a pretty big margin over Marcus.

Considering Horford has 8 years of experience over him, I am going to say Marcus.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Smart makes some incredible plays and Jaylen is showing real potential (he is just scratching the surface), but I have to agree with Horford. He is the QB of our defense, can extend out to the 3pt line, and might be the best positional defender in the NBA.

Earlier in the season, he seemed to be a leader in the DPOY race, but that hype seems to have quited down. Now that the Cs are winning again and locking teams down on defense, he may begin garnering more attention.

Horford may not be a highlight reel on D, but he is certainly a savant on that end.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:26:59 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 06:35:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’m going with Smart over Horford, but I won’t judge anyone who reverses that order.  I think Smart is a little more versatile in terms of positions he’s able to at least capably guard for short times, whereas Horford can get taken advantage of on some switches.  But Horford’s still a top defensive big, and if you want to argue that our league leading defense starts with him, I won’t quibble.

What I find at least as interesting is that I can’t figure out who #3 is.  Is it Baynes or Rozier, numbers 2 and 3 in Defensive Rating for the NBA? Is it Tatum, who leads the team in Defensive Win Shares?  Is it Brown, who has the length, athleticism, strength, and will to keep up with just about anyone?  Is it Ojeleye, who’s been very reliable against some of the top players in the game like Giannis and LeBron?  Is it Theis, who leads the team in block percentage and defensive rebound percentage?  That’s six players who could arguably be our third best defender, but would be the top defender for several teams.

I know that’s traditional view is that offense wins in the playoffs, but I can’t imagine many teams are looking forward to a series worth of games against this defense.  It will wear them down.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I’m going with Smart over Horford, but I won’t judge anyone who reverses that order.  I think Smart is a little more versatile in terms of positions he’s able to at least capably guard for short times, whereas Horford can get taken advantage of on some switches.  But Horford’s still a top defensive big, and if you want to argue that our league leading defense starts with him, I won’t quibble.

What I find at least as interesting is that I can’t figure out who #3 is.  Is it Baynes or Rozier, numbers 2 and 3 in Defensive Rating for the NBA? Is it Tatum, who leads the team in Defensive Win Shares?  Is it Brown, who has the length, athleticism, strength, and will to keep up with just about anyone?  Is it Ojeleye, who’s been very reliable against some of the top players in the game like Giannis and LeBron?  Is it Theis, who leads the team in block percentage and defensive rebound percentage?  That’s six players who could arguably be our third best defender, but would be the top defender for several teams.

I know that’s traditional view is that offense wins in the playoffs, but I can’t imagine many teams are looking forward to a series worth of games against this defense.  It will wear them down.
What he says and tp

My vote is smart over horford but its amazing how hard it is to pick #3 #4
Our team is filled with very good defenders

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP to the OP. The poll results underscore people's thoughts as to Smart's importance to the team.

Smart, and it's not even close.

Versatility, agression, strength, physicality and the perfect melding of BBIQ and instinct which allows him to see the play before it happens and the physical skills to get him to the right place at the right time.

Uncanny defensive anticipation....phenomenal.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yeah for all the grief our bench offense gets, being able to trot out Smart, Ojeleye, Theis, Rozier must be demoralizing for the other team. If anything the defensive intensity picks up with that group.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 08:14:23 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Ok with some thought
1. Smart
2. Horford
3. Brown
4. Baynes
5. Rozier
6. Theis
7. Tatum

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Smart, not even close.

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Now: Smart
Potentially: Semih.  Great foot work, and strongest foundation on team.  Holds his ground better than any other Celtic.

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 03:51:56 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Ok with some thought
1. Smart
2. Horford
3. Brown
4. Baynes
5. Rozier
6. Theis
7. Tatum
I'd reverse smart and Horford, but otherwise that's a good list.

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I voted Jaylen without thinking and almost instantly regretted that choice.  He might be the most complete defender in the sense that he can credibly guard most players 1-4 and even 1-5 on some nights, but he's not the best defender. 

I think it's Horford right now.  Smart is the other serious candidate, but I'd take Horford personally.

It's a fun question.  Nearly the entire rotation deserves at least token consideration except Kyrie, and even Kyrie is somewhere around average now whereas he was a defensive liability in Cleveland.  Lots of good defense on this roster. 

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 09:50:29 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Mchale