Author Topic: Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.  (Read 7082 times)

Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
With half the season in the books, I think it's been established that Marcus Smart needs to go.

Our offense, to put it frankly, is horrible for a #1 seed. Our defense is obviously spectacular, of which Marcus Smart is a major contributor, but the reality is that we're not currently championship material. If we can't hang up more than 87 points on the Nets like we did yesterday, then there's no way that we're going to be a threat in the playoffs to teams like GS or Cleveland.

To get this out of the way, we can all acknowledge that our offense will get better when Hayward returns, particularly because he'll reduce Morris' minutes, who has been another sore spot in our lackluster offense with his 40% shooting. And, I would be remiss to mention the fact we're starting a rookie and a sophomore, both of whom will continue to polish their offensive skills over time. We'll be better on offense next year, and by a significant margin I would bet. We'll also be giving the guys just another year to gel.

But those facts shouldn't get in the way of analyzing Smart. When you look at what he brings to the table, you really need to evaluate both sides of the court. The question is ultimately this: is what he gives you on defense worth what he takes away on offense?

The status all point to no. Smart isn't just "bad" on offense... he's a catastrophic failure. Saying he's terrible is putting it mildly... he's in the midst of one of the worst offensive seasons in NBA history, and the scary part is that he has been regressing every year since he entered the league. Think about that for a second. Is that the kind of trend you want to be millions of dollars on? His sole job has been to improve his shooting, and he's failed at that. He also showed up last year with an unhealthy amount of weight (major red flag, imo), and he hasn't shown the self awareness he needs to limit his shooting.

The reason he was told to launch the ball was so that he could improve his percentages over time. Unfortunately, that failed. This might really p--- some people off, but what I'm seeing right now are shades of Rondo and Jared Sullinger - guys who have ceased trending in the correct direction and who we'd likely be better off moving on from. If anyone is ambitious enough to check my comment history, I was absolutely CLAMORING for us to get away from those guys before we finally did. And once we traded Rondo (who had stopped trying to even compete), we got better. And once we let Sullinger go, he was out of the league in a season or two. Smart's in the same position. If any other team pays him I promise you he'll look very, very bad as he continues to chuck the ball without all of the team success to support the "winning plays" voodoo that seems to invigorate his defenders.

As of today, Marcus Smart is 304th out of 467 players in real plus minus, which is insane for a team that currently occupies the #1 seed. While RPM obvious has its flaws, its flaw is usually OVERRATING bad players on good teams. And it's supposed to be the catch-all stat that captures all of the "intangibles". Sadly, Smart is coming up short on all measurements.

I don't know how to say this any other way - Smart has blown it. If we resign him, we're going to hamper our offense to the point where I doubt we win a championship while he players more than 15 minutes a game. If we don't, I'd actually be willing to bet he's out of the league in a couple of years because he's just not an NBA-level talent on offense. At this point I wouldn't want him for any amount of money.

Re: Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I suggest you learn how to sort. Marcus Smart is 144th in RPM, not 304th. He's also 25th in +/- (+184) and 72nd in WINS (2.37).

Please continue with your rant.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
We're easily tops in the East and this is your rant? Okay

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 04:29:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I can't argue with his ill-timed and ineffective shooting in the 1st 3 quarters, but Marcus would be a tremendous asset to a championship team as a defensive 6th/7th guy, spot starter, and a game finisher.

His 4th quarter intensity, defense and passing have been terrific.  I don't need stats to tell me that he is an asset on the floor at the end of games.  He shoots far less when there are scorers on the court with him, but he's been adequate as a scorer in the 4th as well.  Also, his FT shooting is good enough for him to be in the game when it's on the line (so to speak). 

I respect your opinion, but I don't consider Smart a failure at all.  I think teams will be competing for his services in the off-season (providing offers).  I wouldn't back up the Brink's Truck for him, but I definitely want to keep him. 

And... he's 23.  He may not improve his shooting, but he'll continue to get smarter.  He's grown noticeably smarter as a defensive player and as a distributor.  His drives to the hoop are more reliable because teams know he effectively dishes and lofts.  I wish he'd finish better -- but that's one of the reasons he's a mid-level contract guy.  EDIT: By "mid-level" I don't mean MLE - I mean 10-15M.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:38:19 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Nah, you're wrong. His tryout isn't over. He still has a 1/2 season + playoffs before the Celtics need to make a decision.

It's understandable to see strong opinions for polarizing players. I'm sure that Danny still has to see how he plays with this current team during the playoffs before he makes Marcus a big offer.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 04:51:22 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The early front runner for our Chicken Little Worst Post of the Year is....

This one!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Lol
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:45:09 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
This made me laugh. And cry.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 05:51:41 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
While Smarts shooting hasn't been anything to write home about, he's been good the last couple weeks. Even sparked the offense a couple times when they were struggling. Also didn't he win us the Huston game just on his D alone. How many players can do that in the NBA?

While Roziers offense is better, Smart gets a little more down and dirty. And come playoff time thats what you need. Is he ever going to be a full time starter? Who knows. But he's the type of guy you want off the bench in a championship run.

He also seems to hit the big shots down the stretch more often than not. What the team needs is more bench scoring, because he tends to have all of it on his sholders, and as good as Tatum has been he hasn't been able to step up as the second unit leader, which is understandable.

Good thing is, with crappy shooting, his contract may be team friendly. :)

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
tough crowd here, it doesnt help though when the two players you compare him to are one that could not shoot or play defense and the other ate himself out of the league.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It's good to see that the rondo hate can be transferred to other players.

I for one am very happy to have Marcus on the team. 

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Another day another trade "_____" thread. That is the real failure!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yeah he failed James Harden, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utWSs_rVvi8

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's not forget that amazing stat that the Celtics offense is like 3.4 points per 48 better when Marcus is on the floor as compared to when he is off. Yeah, it doesn't seem to make sense that such a poor shooter makes the offense better, but that is what is happening.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
All advanced analytics aside, Smart is my least favorite Celtic easily. He has been such a disappointment coming into the season. He said it was a new him. He was hitting half court shots with fairly good consistency, he said he lost weight so he was more explosive.

But I've just seen more of the same. He's still the sub 30% 3-point shooter with no lift he's been for the majority of his basketball career.