Author Topic: Kim-Trump Summit (no, not THAT Kim)  (Read 2125 times)

Re: Kim-Trump Summit (no, not THAT Kim)
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2018, 08:17:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
North Korea has committed to denuclearization multiple times, although the actual process always get stuck when it becomes abundantly clear that to them this means withdrawing US's nuclear defenses from the Korean Peninsula. There's no indication the current "breakthrough" is anything different.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1172
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
North Korea has committed to denuclearization multiple times, although the actual process always get stuck when it becomes abundantly clear that to them this means withdrawing US's nuclear defenses from the Korean Peninsula. There's no indication the current "breakthrough" is anything different.

Sure Kozlo,this is a fair representation of the situation.

But I'd like to add they never indicated that they would do that without a similar process in the Republic of Korea.  What Kim wants is obvious: detente without giving up his sole means of deterrence.

This meeting was never a breaktrhough in this sense of bringing about denuclearization (I imagine many in the Republic are skeptical about it too) and no one who is familiar with the Korean situation  thought that this meeting was the first step to DPRK denuclearization.

Its value IMO lies elsewhere.  What we've been discussing here boils down on whether you believe the first priority is to force the DPRK to denuclearize at all costs or if you prefer to look for agreement at softer issues. Personally, I always thought the DPRK has nuclear weapons for deterrence purposes and is not as aggressive as depicted in the media. Hence I was happy with the meeting, hoping that it could in the long term lead to improved life conditions in the DPRK.

@byennie I read carefully your comment, this is the best answer I can come up with now, without having to go through the history of US-DPRK relations in detail.

« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2018, 08:48:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

But I'd like to add they never indicated that they would do that without a similar process in the Republic of Korea.  What Kim wants is obvious: detente without giving up his sole means of deterrence.

This meeting was never a breaktrhough in this sense of bringing about denuclearization (I imagine many in the Republic are skeptical about it too) and no one who is familiar with the Korean situation  thought that this meeting was the first step to DPRK denuclearization.

Its value IMO lies elsewhere.  What we've been discussing here boils down on whether you believe the first priority is to force the DPRK to denuclearize at all costs or if you prefer to look for agreement at softer issues. Personally, I always thought the DPRK has nuclear weapons for deterrence purposes and is not as aggressive as depicted in the media. Hence I was happy with the meeting, hoping that it could in the long term lead to improved life conditions in the DPRK.

@byennie I read carefully your comment, this is the best answer I can come up with now, without having to go through the history of US-DPRK relations in detail.
I think DPRK doesn't care much about deterrence if the West is willing to look the other way while they commit crimes against humanity while trying to preserve their hereditary feudal empire of a country (for lack of a better term).
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »

Online saltlover

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2368
Intelligence reports indicate North Korea is increasing nuclear production at secret sites.  I am shocked! I can’t handle all the winning!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/north-korea-has-increased-nuclear-production-secret-sites-say-u-n887926
“When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”

Leviticus 19:33-34

« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2018, 07:13:25 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 270

Thanks, I appreciate it. I confess to frustration when posters dismiss without explanation (at least in my perception).

I'm not sure if your take here is accurate or not, but to be fair I'd be the world's foremost expert if I did know for sure =/. It does make sense to me, though.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2018, 07:14:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5388
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/07/politics/mike-pompeo-north-korea-nuclear-talks/index.html

Secretary of State Pompeo says talks are progressing well.

North Korea says US making same demands as other US administrations in a "gangsta-like" fashion.

Meanwhile, Trump still praising Kim Jung-un and gifting him a recording of "Rocket Man" by Elton John, apparently Trump's new obsession as he states his crowds are bigger than John's because he uses his mouth which hopefully is attached to his brain. Can't make this stuff up.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-elton-john-696490/

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1997
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
North Korea no-shows a meeting to discuss the return of the remains of dead American soldiers from the Korean War.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-12/north-koreans-are-no-show-at-u-s-war-dead-talks-yonhap-reports

The remains have been a prominent part of the administration's boasting about how successful the negotiations have been, with the President of the United States first repeatedly lying about "thousands of parents" of the war dead asking for their return (such parents would be well over 100), then repeatedly lying by claiming the remains had already been returned. The winning continues.