Author Topic: Trumpís Economy (merged)  (Read 5538 times)

Trumpís Economy (merged)
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 48
Bureau of Labor Statistics reports 6.8 percent unemployment rate for black workers in December, lowest in the 45 years the data has been tracked.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/black-unemployment-rate-falls-to-record-low.html

Re: Black unemployment rate falls to record low under Trump.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »

Online CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • Forever LIT
It looks like the unemployment rate has been declining since around 2010, but I'm glad it's continued to decline under Trump.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »

Online GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2417
Thanks, President Obama.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:05:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27841
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
The economy is doing quite well right now. Thatís not all due to GOP policies, but a pro-business administration certainly hasnít hurt.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 310
President Trump touted the fact that 1,074,000 jobs have been added to the economy since he took office on social media Wednesday.

While that number is accurate according to numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, experts warn that it may not be the best measure for taking the temperature on the economy, and certainly not an accurate reflection of Presidential efforts.

And, the fact that that many jobs have been added since Trump took office is about par for the course with the last few years of steady economic growth. For comparison, Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers show that about 1,246,000 jobs were created during the same months (February to July) under President Obama last year. The last real drop in the job creation rate was under the recession.

http://fortune.com/2017/08/10/donald-trump-jobs-numbers-fact-check/

The economy has produced fewer jobs in 2017 under Trump than in 2016 under Obama.  Of course unemployment numbers were fake under Obama and now they are real.

Terry Francona said that managers get too much credit when the team wins and too much blame when they lose.  I think that applies to presidents and jobs, especially presidents in their first year in office.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 12:12:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 874
Thanks, President Obama.

Why just Obama?
Generally the first year of a presidency on things like jobs and the economy is the direct result of the prior administration's budget and policies.  It usually takes into the second year before the current administration's budget and policies start to affect things. 

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »

Online mobilija

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
The economy is doing quite well right now. Thatís not all due to GOP policies, but a pro-business administration certainly hasnít hurt.

The stock market is doing very well.... I'm not sure that in itself means the economy is doing well. Unemployment is an important factor to the overall health of the economy.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The stock market is doing very well.... I'm not sure that in itself means the economy is doing well. Unemployment is an important factor to the overall health of the economy.

The stock market is doing very well, unemployment is very low, consumer confidence is the highest in 17 years, third quarter economic growth was 3.3%, the second straight quarter of 3.0%+ growth.

The economy overall is doing quite well. 

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 310

The rate of job creation the first year under Trump is lower than the last year under Obama.  That is the cold hard fact here.  Now what it means or what caused it is so complex and dynamic that it is literally impossible to attribute it to any single factor but that won't stop partisans on both sides from using it to advance their agenda:

Version 1:

Trump and the GOP are pro-business.  Obama and the liberals are anti-business.  It is Obama's fault that job creation is slowing.

Version 2:

Obama was able to oversee the longest period of expansion and job growth in the history of the country and now that Trump is president, job creation is slowing.

See how easy that is.  In reality, much broader factors are affecting GDP and employment (employment rate and wages).  Overall, there was nothing to complain about regarding employment under Obama (although that did not stop our current president).  GDP grew every year for 7 years or something and unemployment declined to historically low levels.  Business experienced record profits and the stock market soared (as it has continued to do under Trump).

The catch is that in spite of full employment and record corporate profits, wages did not increase.  This troubled economists and in particular Madam Fed Chairman.  Under these conditions, inflation (wages and prices) has always resulted but in this period, it did not.

I say this because all this GOP bluster around being pro-business and all is ignoring actual conditions.  Business are doing better than they ever have but aren't increasing wages and are not expanding.  Throwing a tax break at them, or any other "pro-business actions" is not going to change this but hey, so long as you can say you are pro-business and people believe it, why not.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »

Online GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2417
Thanks, President Obama.

Why just Obama?

Sorry - I should've thanked God 1st, then Pres. Obama.

Look, I'd need a BI-PARTISAN article to convince me that the OP's thread title - thus far - can be directly attributed to something that Pres. Trump did directly.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 285
Thanks, President Obama.

Why just Obama?
Generally the first year of a presidency on things like jobs and the economy is the direct result of the prior administration's budget and policies.  It usually takes into the second year before the current administration's budget and policies start to affect things.

I agree with this. We have not seen many, if any, effects of purely Trump-instituted policy yet.

Side note, though: why does no one thank President Bush for the country's recovery from the Great Recession? He laid the groundwork; from my understanding, all President Obama did was not deviate from the plan.  And why does no one blame President Clinton, who precipitated the deregulation that led to the housing bubble?

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 01:42:12 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 83
Thanks, President Obama.

Why just Obama?

I agree with this. We have not seen many, if any, effects of purely Trump-instituted policy yet.

Side note, though: why does no one thank President Bush for the country's recovery from the Great Recession? He laid the groundwork; from my understanding, all President Obama did was not deviate from the plan.  And why does no one blame President Clinton, who precipitated the deregulation that led to the housing bubble?

Is this a real question? 

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »

Online triboy16f

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 509
Not sure if its bc of Trump but so far in regards to the overal health of the economy...he is doing good for himself

I just hope he doesnt get re elected. There has never been a more immature president

Because of Trumps Tax Cuts-100's of Companies giving Bonuses and Raises
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 48
Because of Trumps Tax cuts, many companies like Walmart, At&t, Comcast,Wells Fargo are giving 1000's of dollars in bonuses and raises to employees. This is great for the country.
If you're a Trump hater, does this bother you.