Author Topic: Best prospects in the last 25 years  (Read 3667 times)

Re: Best prospects in the last 25 years
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
There's really 4 top prospects in that time. Duncan, Lebron and Shaq top the list (you can argue about the order). The 4th?

Greg Oden. While there were a few people talking about how KD would be great, most thought that Oden was going to be the next great big man of the league. 16 points, 10 boards and 3 blocks per game as a freshman. For cryin' out loud, he BEAT KD's time in the 3/4 court sprint. He'd have been the top pick in 2006 if not for the age limit. When the stage was biggest he was at his best, too. Look at the Vegas Reebok camp final game - he dominated. In Ohio State's loss to Florida in the NCAAs, against Al Horford AND Joakim Noah (both Juniors at the time) Oden went for 25/12 and 4 blocks. He came out with as much hype as anyone in recent years (and it's not his fault his body broke down).
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Duh!  Completely forgot about Duncan.  Really tough between he and shaq as far as prospects go.  LeBron still number 1.  High school or not, he’s the most hyped and best prospect in my basketball lifetime.  He’d be the first pick.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The question is best prospects in the last 25 years...not who had the best career.

So, it wouldn't be crazy to say Greg Oden was a better prospect than Blake Griffin, because I think he was.

Anyways, in any top-5 I would have to put Iverson.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 05:07:41 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If Shaq is out (26 drafts), I think Durant has a shot at top 5 even behind Oden:

LeBron
Duncan
Davis
Oden
Durant

There were at least rumblings of some teams preferring him over Oden, who is top-5.

Other guys I'd consider would be Webber & Iverson who were both really dominant college player with (expected) instant star impact.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I find that often mentioned Greg Oden is a great prospect and I wish he had a long career, but the way I see it he couln't shoot, dribble or pass and he wasn't Shaq to minimize the importance of these truly basic BB skills. He could have certainly improved those with time.
I think that a lot people sympathize with his unluck and this shows our "human" side.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:14:53 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
When voting for something like this, I think a posters age has an effect on the results. For instance, how could someone understand the hype around Tim Duncan, if they were only 5 years old at the time of the 1997 draft? I just turned 43 yesterday, and this 25 year window feels like it is right in my wheelhouse.

^^ This!! I'd even debate Duncan over Lebron but I'm sure I'm in the very small, almost obsolete, minority there.
ok fine

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
When voting for something like this, I think a posters age has an effect on the results. For instance, how could someone understand the hype around Tim Duncan, if they were only 5 years old at the time of the 1997 draft? I just turned 43 yesterday, and this 25 year window feels like it is right in my wheelhouse.

^^ This!! I'd even debate Duncan over Lebron but I'm sure I'm in the very small, almost obsolete, minority there.

Duncan would have been the consensus #1 pick as a freshman, sophomore or junior. He was the bluest of blue chips. I think he was the biggest “sure thing” in the draft since maybe Hakeem.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Shawn Bradley needs to be high on this list, his hype train was massive.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 06:24:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Duncan would have been the consensus #1 pick as a freshman, sophomore or junior. He was the bluest of blue chips. I think he was the biggest “sure thing” in the draft since maybe Hakeem.

Shaq was definitely more of a sure thing. Also a better all time player than Duncan.

I'd take Garnett over Duncan as well, if you put Garnett in San Antonio and Duncan in Minnesota their careers would be remembered totally differently. Duncan was a higher touted prospect entering the draft, though.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 06:59:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Shaq was definitely more of a sure thing. Also a better all time player than Duncan.

I'd take Garnett over Duncan as well, if you put Garnett in San Antonio and Duncan in Minnesota their careers would be remembered totally differently. Duncan was a higher touted prospect entering the draft, though.

I think you’re showing an under-appreciation for Duncan.  I don’t recall teams tanking for Shaq in the same way.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 07:07:23 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm unsure of the criteria here, so I'll just list my top 5 players of the past 25 years that I would start a team with in the modern NBA:
LeBron
Durant
Garnett
Webber
Giannis

In that order. I love CWebb as much as anyone (he's my all-time favorite player), but Garnett's defense and switchability (as well as not-quite-as-good-but-comparable playmaking skills) gives him the edge for me. I do think that if CWebb was in his prime now, he'd be, far and away, the best big man in the league.

Random thing: I made a post about 4 years ago about how my ideal Celtics rebuild would emulate the Adelman Kings, complete with a motion offense, big men who can distribute from the high post, and rangy, interchangeable wing players who could run in transition and add excitement. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with Brad Stevens' and Danny Ainge's vision for the team and how it is coming to fruition. I think the C's just need an elite, Webber-style 4 man to become a dynasty. I haven't seen enough of Bagley to determine if it's him. He seems a little less fluid and bouncy then Webber was at the same age.

EDIT: proof I'm not lying:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=73343.msg1728788#msg1728788
Duncan?

If I were starting a team today, I would prefer a 19-year-old KG over a 19-year-old Tim Duncan. The 3-point range and passing are very important to me (KG had two years shooting a high volume of 3's at ~33%, if I recall correctly). Same goes for Webber's passing and ability to handle the ball. Duncan definitely had the athleticism (which people forget), lockdown ability, and mid-low post scoring, but the threes and playmaking ability (elite in KG and Webber's case, only above average in Duncan's) make the difference in 2018. If all three had stayed healthy, I think KG and CWebb would have definitely been in Duncan territory for both rings and counting stats. Since this is a "prospect rank," I'm giving the big men's knees the benefit of the doubt.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 07:45:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think you’re showing an under-appreciation for Duncan.  I don’t recall teams tanking for Shaq in the same way.

No, I remember exactly how furious I was when Boston lost out on the Duncan sweepstakes.

But Shaq was something very highly touted. In fact, It was Shaq that had a movie made about him, ironically enough, called "Blue Chips".

Teams didn't really tank back then as much as they do now because the lottery odds were different. It wasn't until after Orlando won the Weber lottery that the odds changed.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 02:10:30 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
I'm unsure of the criteria here, so I'll just list my top 5 players of the past 25 years that I would start a team with in the modern NBA:
LeBron
Durant
Garnett
Webber
Giannis

In that order. I love CWebb as much as anyone (he's my all-time favorite player), but Garnett's defense and switchability (as well as not-quite-as-good-but-comparable playmaking skills) gives him the edge for me. I do think that if CWebb was in his prime now, he'd be, far and away, the best big man in the league.

Random thing: I made a post about 4 years ago about how my ideal Celtics rebuild would emulate the Adelman Kings, complete with a motion offense, big men who can distribute from the high post, and rangy, interchangeable wing players who could run in transition and add excitement. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with Brad Stevens' and Danny Ainge's vision for the team and how it is coming to fruition. I think the C's just need an elite, Webber-style 4 man to become a dynasty. I haven't seen enough of Bagley to determine if it's him. He seems a little less fluid and bouncy then Webber was at the same age.

Duncan?

If I were starting a team today, I would prefer a 19-year-old KG over a 19-year-old Tim Duncan. The 3-point range and passing are very important to me (KG had two years shooting a high volume of 3's at ~33%, if I recall correctly). Same goes for Webber's passing and ability to handle the ball. Duncan definitely had the athleticism (which people forget), lockdown ability, and mid-low post scoring, but the threes and playmaking ability (elite in KG and Webber's case, only above average in Duncan's) make the difference in 2018. If all three had stayed healthy, I think KG and CWebb would have definitely been in Duncan territory for both rings and counting stats. Since this is a "prospect rank," I'm giving the big men's knees the benefit of the doubt.
You’re confusing the topic.  Not about starting a team.  Question is about the best prospect and KG had four better prospects in his own draft.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 04:24:36 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
LeBron
Durant
Garnett
Webber
Giannis

Duncan?

You’re confusing the topic.  Not about starting a team.  Question is about the best prospect and KG had four better prospects in his own draft.
He had 4 guys picked before him in the 1995. I'm not sure which 4 prospects were better than him that year.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 11:07:35 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
LeBron
Durant
Garnett
Webber
Giannis

Duncan?

He had 4 guys picked before him in the 1995. I'm not sure which 4 prospects were better than him that year.
Well after the fact, the answer is none.  But if we’re going to use that criteria then why use the word prospect at all?  Why not just say the best player and call it a day?