Author Topic: ESPN Patriots Article (MERGED)  (Read 13582 times)

Re: ESPN Patriots Article (MERGED)
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2018, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I get that the national media takes the bait on this BS, but I would think that Pats fans would relax a little bit, considering all of the things that have been said about this franchise over the years.

I will be shocked if Brady/Belichick leave next year, regardless of what was written in this article.

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I believe the Pats traded Garoppolo on October 30. At that time, the 49ers were 0-8. The Browns would have supposedly sent Houston's first round pick, who were 3-4 at the time. I think the day before Deshaun Watson suffered his knee injury, but I'm not certain when it was announced as to the severity of the injury, in relation to the trade deadline. Also, I don't think anyone saw the 49ers going 6-2 to close out their season.

I don't understand this narrative that Bill traded Garoppolo to a situation where he could succeed. The 49ers were a team that has gotten progressively worse since reaching the Super Bowl. Didn't two of their best young players retire too since then? There was an ugly divorce between ownership and their previous coach, Jim Harbaugh. I don't recall any good players on their current roster that anyone would want.

I do agree that the Pats could have possibly gotten a better deal. I'm not sure of the Pats cap situation next season, and I forget how contract terms differ between a first and second round pick. At the time of the trade, that 49ers pick looked like it would have been a top 5 pick in the second round. The Pats could have received a lot more before the last draft, where the new team could have evaluated Jimmy for a whole offseason and had him play for the entire 2017 season. However, I think you have to severely discount a QB's trade value just before the trade deadline, especially for a backup, who had only started two games and was about to become a free agent. The other thing to keep in mind, is that Garoppolo had to learn an entire new offensive play book before he could even see the field, in a short amount of time. I'm sure the playbook was scaled back to help him out, and possibly made the offense more predictable.

The other thing to keep in mind is the amount of power Garoppolo has this offseason in negotiations. He just became the poster boy of hope for 49ers fans, so they want him to stay. So the 49ers have to either franchise him for one year, or sign him to a contract that probably makes him one of the top 10-20 highest paid players in the league.

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So Gronk and Brady have both not only refused to report to the voluntary workouts, neither has said definitively that they will play in 2018-19 and both are reportedly very upset with Bill. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Frankly, my days of feeling good about being a Patriots fan are kind of over.

Sure, Brady and Gronk might be back, the team might be just as good as last season... and there's a certain allure of watching an all-time great in his prime go to work.

But between the coach throwing the last Superbowl for no apparent reason, and the QB obsessively caring about his social media presence (not to mention repeatedly associating with known quacks such as Guerrero, the Chopras, and Tony Robbins) -- this team just isn't likeable anymore.

Brady, in particular, was a lot easier to stomach when he was a 3-ring quarterback that was all about business, all the time. Truth be told, I was ready to go with the guy that's in SF for 2018...

As far as likeability is concerned, right now to me the Patriots only trail the Red Sox. It's by a sliver, and the Red Sox are climbing fast.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
So Gronk and Brady have both not only refused to report to the voluntary workouts, neither has said definitively that they will play in 2018-19 and both are reportedly very upset with Bill.

It’s a clear power play to change the culture , strip authority from Bill, and allow Brady’s quack trainer back intutge locker room. This is going to get interesting.

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2018, 12:44:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It’s a clear power play to change the culture , strip authority from Bill, and allow Brady’s quack trainer back intutge locker room. This is going to get interesting.
of course, but it leads a lot more credence to the article in this thread which many on here lambasted as nonsense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I sure hope this is simply a “power play” because otherwise that’s a royal screw job by Brady. We would have just kept Jimmy G...

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2018, 01:15:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I sure hope this is simply a “power play” because otherwise that’s a royal screw job by Brady. We would have just kept Jimmy G...

Most teams after winning even one Superbowl kind of implode on their success.  Some teams can carry it through a few seasons under a single regime (I am thinking about the 49ers era).  The Patriot have been good under the Belichick regime for what, 14 years?  I am starting to wonder if this type of breakdown is just inevitable.  On it's face though, this is not a big deal, just some possible smoke signals.  We can still be good without Gronk.  Losing Brady would be a much bigger deal, especially with no Garrapalo (who I think is no better than Alex Smith but still).  I predict Brady and Bill will likely work it out (if there is anything to work out).  Gronk may get traded.  Kenny Britt has a surprising year.  We still win the division and make a playoff run.