Author Topic: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”  (Read 12308 times)

Re: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
those calling pierce selfish, lets look at it two ways.

IT4 played for the celtics for 2 1/2 years and wants his tribute on the night they are honoring someone who played for the celtics for 15 years is a celtic legend and HOF'er and brought them a championship.

IT4 had 1 amazing year for the celtics, lets not put him on pierces level.

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yeah, I wouldn't do it the same night. That is weird.

They should have done it last night. They can do it in the playoffs still this year. Pierce is way more important than IT in Celtics history.

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
This won't be that big a deal. He'll just have a little tribute video when they introduce the starting lineups and the rest of the night will be able Truth. IT should have just had it yesterday though because he was in the building and cheered numerous times when they showed him. Putting it off was just dumb.

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 07:42:38 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
The worst part about it is now PP's night is going to be all about IT, anyway. Just a whole bunch of IT drama.

Mike

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I’ll assume he’s joking, because I don’t think Pierce is that insecure.

I don't see how it makes him insecure in the slightest. Would you share your wedding day with the announcement of some distant relatives' engagement? It's his night, the entire thing should be about him. Thats not being insecure, it's about respect.

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 08:06:52 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
To put a wrench into anyone's thought process on this:
Imagine rondo coming back and doing this.....
He played longer for celtics and did more
How many would be on Rondo's side for this request?
Or Paul Westphal, or Paul Silas, or Cedric Maxwell etc etc

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 08:22:16 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, Danny doesn't see an issue with it, apparently..

During his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 the Sports Hub on Thursday morning, Celtics general manager Danny Ainge said he didn't see any problem with the brief tribute to Thomas.

"I think Paul said it best: He's going to be the appetizer, the main course and the dessert. I thought that was pretty funny," Ainge told the "Toucher and Rich" program. "I think it won't interfere with Paul. And Paul understands that, everybody understands that. It'll be a great game and a great moment. And Isaiah deserves it, in our minds.

"We all love Isaiah and are grateful for him and all that he's done for us as well. Obviously you can't compare the two, but Isaiah has been very gracious through this whole process. He hasn't made any demands; he just had one request and we granted him that request
."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21961231/paul-pierce-does-not-want-share-boston-celtics-jersey-retirement-night-isaiah-thomas

My mind hasn't changed from a previous thread - I didn't see an issue with doing both.

Give Isaiah his brief tribute AND do a substantial one for Paul.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2018, 08:26:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't see how it makes him insecure in the slightest. Would you share your wedding day with the announcement of some distant relatives' engagement? It's his night, the entire thing should be about him. Thats not being insecure, it's about respect.

The night isn’t “all about him”, though. I mean, they’re playing a game. Regular parts of that game will still happen: in-game entertainment, highlights, everything you’d expect to see on the Jumbotron. A short video doesn’t seem that obtrusive.

The post-game ceremony is “all about him”. That will be, and should be, all about Pierce.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 08:29:25 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Oh, he definitely wasn't joking, and why would he be? Pierce deserves a night all to himself. This is a historic night that he doesn't need to be shared with a player that has been critical of the organization (from Ainge to medical staff) since the moment he was traded.

Pierce on The Jump...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpEnksUUpaI

I completely agree with both Pierce and SJax (who is great!)

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
As long as it is just a short intro video like Crowder's I don't see where there is an issue.  Crowder got 15 seconds so give IT 30 seconds and be done with it. 

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
those calling pierce selfish, lets look at it two ways.

IT4 played for the celtics for 2 1/2 years and wants his tribute on the night they are honoring someone who played for the celtics for 15 years is a celtic legend and HOF'er and brought them a championship.

IT4 had 1 amazing year for the celtics, lets not put him on pierces level.

There is NO WAY Piece can be called selfish.  He is getting his jersey lifted to the rafters!!! That happens ONCE. 

Cs messed up but this one is all on IT.

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The night isn’t “all about him”, though. I mean, they’re playing a game. Regular parts of that game will still happen: in-game entertainment, highlights, everything you’d expect to see on the Jumbotron. A short video doesn’t seem that obtrusive.

The post-game ceremony is “all about him”. That will be, and should be, all about Pierce.

Of course there is a game that night.

But every break in the action should be dedicated to showing Pierce videos, for the entire night.  He's earned that level of respect in my book.

I can't think of any other player on the level of Pierce that has ever been subjected to such an indignity.  Hopefully Wyc steps in and fixes this.

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 09:09:00 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't care when they do it quite frankly, it's up to them to decide. I'll just enjoy when they do it. I do however want to say how funny I think it is to call PP selfish and not see how selfish and egotistical it is on IT4's part. He doesn't just want his family to be there, that's BS! They could have come last night, it's not like Celts decided to do this a couple days before! In fact, IT4 said he thought he would be back before now so that he would be able to play but it didn't work out that way. He thought he would play that game up until recently so his family should have been prepared to go there already.

No, he's doing it because he wants to stick it to the Celtics, GET REAL! He wants to go out there and have a great game and say "you made the wrong choice!" That's nothing but ego! Instead of being honest about it, him and some here will pretend otherwise! The reaction from the fans would be no different if he's playing or not, we will cheer and move on either way! No, the only thing playing can do is for him to try to prove that he's better and that the trade was a bad one!

Now, I'm not mad about him being egotistical, all the players are, even when they don't show it as openly as others. We need them to be that way because that's what drives them to be great or their best! I just don't like the BS of calling out PP's ego while pretending this isn't about IT's!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 09:21:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Show it on another Cleveland road game.  Maybe something vs the Nets.

Yup

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I don't see any issue with showing both on the same night (obviously Pierce will get the full ceremony), but it does put the IT show in perspective.

3 years, 2 All-Star, 0 Finals appearances
15 years, 10x All-Star, 1 Championship, 1 Finals MVP, sure-fire Hall of Famer

One guy had a nice 3 years in Boston and is playing for his 4th team in 7 years. The other is an All-Time great.

I'm ok with IT being upset about being traded in the first place. He gave his all for 3 years and I like that he cares. But, it's time for some perspective. He could be in Sacramento or Phoenix still, and nobody would be talking about him. He's a 2x All-Star during a huge league-wide offensive boom. It's not really time for tribute videos and superstar treatment. Most teams wouldn't even do it.