Author Topic: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”  (Read 12364 times)

Re: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I’ll assume he’s joking, because I don’t think Pierce is that insecure.

Oh, he definitely wasn't joking, and why would he be? Pierce deserves a night all to himself. This is a historic night that he doesn't need to be shared with a player that has been critical of the organization (from Ainge to medical staff) since the moment he was traded.

Pierce on The Jump...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpEnksUUpaI

It’s petty and stupid. He’s that insecure in his legacy? Why?

Should the Jumbotron not replay great plays during the game, so that Paul can be the sole focus of adoration? Why even play a game at all?

I think it’s silly.  The Celts should have made a decision and stuck with it. IT and Paul should both deal with it.

That's not insecurity, it's expecting a common courtesy usually afforded to a retired superstar.

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 05:26:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Pierce has also requested that they not do a fan cam or play the Gino video in case of a blowout.   :o
Yup

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 05:29:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Can we just send the tribute video on a disc to Isaiah so him and his family can watch it at home.

:laugh:

Maybe leave a link to a youtube video tribute on people's seats that night.

Yup

Paul Pierce: Isaiah Thomas Shouldn't Get Tribute on My Jersey Retirement Night
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 06:21:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
“I’m not saying Isaiah shouldn’t get a tribute video … but on February 11, the night I get my jersey retired, I’m not sure I want to look up at the JumboTron and see Isaiah highlights," Pierce said, via ESPN's Chris Forsberg

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 06:47:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I get the C's wanting to do right by IT.  But give me a break, he was here for 2 years.  This may be a minority view, but why do we even need to give IT a video night?  He had 1 great year, he went all out for us, but so did a lot of other players. 

Did Crowder get a video tribute?  He played here longer than IT did.  I am sure Jae wanted to remain a celtic just as much as IT did.

I can see the side of PP much more than the IT side.  Way more.

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Isaiah if he were any kinda man would so no do it another time this is pauls night.  Just shows how petty he's become good riddance

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 07:02:54 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
This whole thing is just dumb. IT was in the building on the sideline. They should have just did it last night. What if he gets injured between now and February? Him playing in said game shouldn't have really mattered. That was his first game back. C's didn't want to create news headlines so they just went along with his wishes.

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Oh, he definitely wasn't joking, and why would he be? Pierce deserves a night all to himself. This is a historic night that he doesn't need to be shared with a player that has been critical of the organization (from Ainge to medical staff) since the moment he was traded.

Pierce on The Jump...

Should the Jumbotron not replay great plays during the game, so that Paul can be the sole focus of adoration? Why even play a game at all?

I think it’s silly.  The Celts should have made a decision and stuck with it. IT and Paul should both deal with it.
. No!   Paul pierce is Boston Celtics.  IT is the insecure one

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 07:12:06 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Pierce on The Jump...

That's not insecurity, it's expecting a common courtesy usually afforded to a retired superstar.

Of course, TP. The Celtics "owe" much much much more to Pierce than to IT, and this is not debatable. One of them is having his jersey retired and the other is having a tribute video, so it's easy who should be able to, let's say, recommend anything.

If IT didn't want a tribute video yesterday, sorry for him, thanks for the memories and move on. The Truth is beyond that.

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IT had his chance to receive his night of accolades. The way I understood it, the Celtics offered to fly his family to Boston so they could all be part of it. And he passed.

How about this, Paul Pierce gets his number retired on "his" night, and we give IT a nod sometime in the future.

Paul was a Celtic for 15 years, he's the all-time leading scorer. He never had a negative thing to say about the organization ever. 

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
This whole thing is just dumb. IT was in the building on the sideline. They should have just did it last night. What if he gets injured between now and February? Him playing in said game shouldn't have really mattered. That was his first game back. C's didn't want to create news headlines so they just went along with his wishes.

100% agree with all of this. They should have just done it last night.

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm sure deep down he's probably like "What the hell?" but I don't think he'd ever be honest about it besides in a joking manner. 

At the end of the day, I can't imagine it bothers him too much but I have to imagine there is a part of him that is slightly flustered by it.  That's just the human ego.

This sounds about right. My preference would've been to have had it last night.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 07:23:48 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
At this point I don't know how they show the IT tribute video that night. I think the Cs organization didn't really think this through and take into consideration how Pierce was going to feel about it. Since he does clearly care (even if he isn't going to make a huge deal about it), it is going to be an extremely uncomfortable moment when IT's video comes on - both for the fans and IT. Will anybody really cheer knowing that Pierce didn't want this?

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What right does IT have to turn what is supposed to be a night solely about one of the greatest Celtics legends into a night about him?

This was supposed to be a special night for Paul, his family, and the fans.  Instead it's now going to be shrouded in controversy.

Shame on you, IT.