Author Topic: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”  (Read 12353 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Just said it on "The Jump". Pierce not thrilled with the idea of IT's video tribute occurring  on his jersey retirement night... worth noting  he was smiling and laughing while explaining this. He did say he deserves a tribute video but it should have been last night.  thoughts?

Re: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 04:17:10 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
I also really hate it.

I don't think IT meant any harm, but that is Paul's night, and I don't like interrupting it for IT.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’ll assume he’s joking, because I don’t think Pierce is that insecure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Man, so much drama  ::)

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 04:31:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sure deep down he's probably like "What the hell?" but I don't think he'd ever be honest about it besides in a joking manner. 

At the end of the day, I can't imagine it bothers him too much but I have to imagine there is a part of him that is slightly flustered by it.  That's just the human ego.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Cavaliers guard Isaiah Thomas, who was not in the lineup of last night’s Cavaliers-Celtics game at TD Garden, formally requested that the Celtics put his video tribute on hold, and wait until the Cavaliers return to town on Feb. 11.

The 28-year-old Thomas, who spent two and a half years with the Celtics, wants to not only be in the lineup and at full health when he’s tributed, but also wants his family to be in attendance so that they can see the ‘love and appreciation’ that Boston had for him.

The Celtics apparently have no problem with that, and have granted that request.

But that’s also the night that the Celtics will retire Paul Pierce’s No. 34, and it doesn’t seem that Pierce is on board with the idea of sharing the spotlight with Isaiah.

“I’m not saying Isaiah shouldn’t get a tribute video,” Pierce, appearing on ESPN’s The Jump, began. “But on February 11, the night I get my jersey retired, I’m not sure I want to look up at the jumbotron and see Isaiah highlights, after all the years I've been there.”

Pierce, now an ESPN analyst, was in attendance for Kobe Bryant’s retirement ceremony with the Lakers, and is hoping for the same kind of all-night kind celebration Kobe got, with highlight packages shown on the jumbotron throughout the game.

"I enjoyed watching that throughout the game,” Pierce admitted. “Hopefully the Boston Celtics will do that for me. I’m not sure if I want to see an Isaiah video that night."

Thomas, for what it’s worth, was asked about this possibility before Wednesday’s game, and did not believe that he was infringing on Pierce’s night or moment.

“That’s Pierce’s night, but the video tribute aint the whole night,” Thomas said. “I just wanted my family to be here to see it. That’s what it came down to. I wanted to be able to play, and I wanted my family to experience the love and appreciation this city and this organization will give me… I don’t know why people are so mad about it. I’m not taking nothing from Paul Pierce. He’s been here 15 years, there’s nothing I can take from him.”

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ty-anderson/paul-pierce-not-board-isaiah-thomas-tribute-video-feb-11

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Oh, he definitely wasn't joking, and why would he be? Pierce deserves a night all to himself. This is a historic night that he doesn't need to be shared with a player that has been critical of the organization (from Ainge to medical staff) since the moment he was traded.

Pierce on The Jump...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpEnksUUpaI
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:46:17 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:40:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Maybe just give Isiaah a statue and skip the video
Yup

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Can we just send the tribute video on a disc to Isaiah so him and his family can watch it at home.

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 04:44:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I dont really see the difference between Pierce saying, "I want my jersey retirement to be my night, so Id rather not have any other tributes that day." and Isaiah saying "Id rather not have my tribute to be on a night where Im not playing."

Both are equally valid. They want the night where they are honored to be perfect. Only difference as far as I can tell is that Paul Pierce >>>>> Isaiah Thomas.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Maybe just give Isiaah a statue and skip the video

Give him some used Kyrie shoes (in Cavs' colors of course) and call it a day.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Oh, he definitely wasn't joking, and why would he be? Pierce deserves a night all to himself. This is a historic night that he doesn't need to be shared with a player that has been critical of the organization (from Ainge to medical staff) since the moment he was traded.

Pierce on The Jump...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpEnksUUpaI

It’s petty and stupid. He’s that insecure in his legacy? Why?

Should the Jumbotron not replay great plays during the game, so that Paul can be the sole focus of adoration? Why even play a game at all?

I think it’s silly.  The Celts should have made a decision and stuck with it. IT and Paul should both deal with it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 05:04:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
IT can kick rocks. he got traded (for better player mind you) and wasn't a celtic long. he doesn't dictate if and when any "tribute" is made on his behalf. if the celts concede to his wishes, they are pretty lame and weak

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I don't blame PP. IT had his chance last night...let him pick another night next year.

PP is a all-time great Celtic...IT didn't even last as long as Dee Brown.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 05:17:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Why are the Celtics doing Paul Pierce night against the Cavs, anyway? I’m surprised they’re doing it on a night against a strong opponent.