Author Topic: Great Jackie Mac Article: Irving Says "Leaving Was Inevitable"  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21941260/nba-playing-lebron-winning-nba-title-kyrie-irving-decided-move-question-why

TITLE: Behind Kyrie Irving's controversial departure from Cleveland -- and what he hopes to find in Boston

I won't post the entire article in quotes here (it's VERY LONG), but I recommend it. It's a great read and well put together by Jackie MacMullan, talking about Irving's path to the NBA, his time in Cleveland, his controversial departure from Cleveland this past August, his trade request, and what he hopes to accomplish here.

The MOST interesting part of this article is what was omitted from the whole "trade request saga", that Irving says Cleveland was trying to trade him even before he made the request, and he felt like he was going to be the "odd-man out" anyways (since it seemed there was no suitors for Kevin Love in trade talks).

Lebron was asked about this apparently, and denied it, BUT ALSO got testy with reporters sort of before just walking out.

Some reports even say that in the off season, Irving was discussed in trade talks as well, for guys like Paul George and Eric Bledsoe.

I honestly could see this. If no one wanted Love in trades (poor Love), then their next option was an Irving trade (b/c it's not like they had a high draft pick coming in the future to deal in trades), and although they didn't deal him, Irving said "he felt it coming (a trade)".

I think ultimately, he left Cleveland because of this, AND because he believes it's very likely Lebron leaves this summer, in which case he doesn't want to be "left behind" with the mess in Cleveland, since lets be honest, most of the team is old right now and would go right back to a long-term rebuild once LBJ left. So Irving left before that could happen and is here now in Boston. He must have also felt a bit disrespected by the idea that the Cavs were putting him in legitimate trade talks.

Just thought I'd share. Great read, and hope we have a great game tonight!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Great Jackie Mac Article: Irving Says "Leaving Was Inevitable"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:06:01 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Great read. Thank you!
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:06:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I remembering hearing about that too - I think was something discussed around the draft with his name in it.

People love giving him a hard time, but playing on a Lebron team means you have no control over your future. Everything's catered to him and he's not even committed to stay there. Even before Kyrie ended up on the Celtics, I had no issue with him wanting out of Cleveland. You can tell the leadership there isn't strong and the chaos of Will Lebron Stay or Leave has to be difficult to play through 24/7. I never had an issue with Kyrie wanting more stability.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 01:18:36 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Ugh! I hate BSPN so I won't click on the link but thanks for posting what you could.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I like Kyrie, and I think he's a clear upgrade over IT, but I wonder about the double standard some celtics fans have here. Would you all that are overjoyed and 'totally understanding' of Kyrie's request be ok if IT had done the same thing? If the celts tried to trade him, and then a few months later he tried to request a trade I don't think we'd see the same feelings on celticsblog.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I like Kyrie, and I think he's a clear upgrade over IT, but I wonder about the double standard some celtics fans have here. Would you all that are overjoyed and 'totally understanding' of Kyrie's request be ok if IT had done the same thing? If the celts tried to trade him, and then a few months later he tried to request a trade I don't think we'd see the same feelings on celticsblog.

I remember Isaiah trying to dictate his market value more than a full year before free agency, that he was a max player and ownership should back up the brink truck. What was his motivation to make those comments public? Was he laying the groundwork that if the Celtics didn't give him a max contract, that he would leave for free agency? In a way, Isaiah kind of made a trade request with his brink trucks comment. The difference being Isaiah went public and added his signature smile, while Kyrie chose to let things play out behind closed doors.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As Scott says today, "Kyrie is one of those players who gets bored after a couple of years. He's wired differently than most. He needs to be stimulated. He needs another adventure."

That's kind of concerning.

Whereas IT still seems sad that he's not playing for the Celtics.

Hopefully the Celts continue to provide new adventures and challenges for Kyrie ....
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

I remember Isaiah trying to dictate his market value more than a full year before free agency, that he was a max player and ownership should back up the brink truck. What was his motivation to make those comments public? Was he laying the groundwork that if the Celtics didn't give him a max contract, that he would leave for free agency? In a way, Isaiah kind of made a trade request with his brink trucks comment. The difference being Isaiah went public and added his signature smile, while Kyrie chose to let things play out behind closed doors.

He was very open about what he felt he deserved, that is true, but it is no where near requesting a trade. If Kyrie weren't available Isaiah is probably making his debut tonight against Cleveland at home. Players are allowed to talk about what they think they're worth. It just feels to me because the Celtics were on the good end of the Kyrie trade people are happy, but if we were on the other end many wouldn't be too quick to spout out niceties

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don't recall all of the trade rumors, but I thought this was interesting from the article:

"In mid-June, shortly before Griffin left, team and league sources confirm, the Cavs explored a   three-way deal with Phoenix and Indiana that would have shipped Irving and Frye to the Suns and brought Eric Bledsoe and Paul George to Cleveland. The Suns resisted, unwilling to part with their No. 4 pick, which they planned to use to draft Josh Jackson."

Apparently Josh Jackson had a lot to do with the Celtics this off season. Between refusing to work out for Danny, and the Suns unwilling to trade the #4 pick to acquire Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
As Scott says today, "Kyrie is one of those players who gets bored after a couple of years. He's wired differently than most. He needs to be stimulated. He needs another adventure."

That's kind of concerning.

Whereas IT still seems sad that he's not playing for the Celtics.

Hopefully the Celts continue to provide new adventures and challenges for Kyrie ....
This year the challenge is to carry this team and advance as far as possible with Hayward hurt
Next Year challenge= gel with Hayward and compete or win Title
*resigns due to the following year's challenge of repeating success with another Title chance.
Then we will have him signed for a few years.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Interesting that Jackie intimates that Lebron might have been behind the Irving to Phoenix and Bledsoe and George to Cleveland trade because Bledsoe and Lebron are both represented from the same management group. If that's true, I can understand Kyrie not wanting to be around Lebron any more and going to management to request a trade.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lebron doesn't win this year.  I expect he thought Lebron bolting was inevitable and the colapse of Cleveland to the basement the same . 

i think he missed his college carreer and true team basketball.  He wanted to operate on a team oriented , coach led , structured organization.  Cavs spend their whole life chasing Lebron around catering to his whims .  This might get old for some players to endure for years.  Wade is a better teamate for lebron and his street ball game.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 03:57:58 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Thanks for the article, very interesting! TP

I wonder how Kyrie will feel the first time he hears his name come up in trade rumors down the road. Not many have not heard their name yearly- even Pierce heard it a few times. If he hears it before he is given a long term contract, it could be adios Kyrie- Danny needs to be careful if the plan is to keep him for a long time to come(which I would imagine it is).

One thing that is clear, is that Kyrie wants to feel valued and not disrespected. What happened to IT to get Kyrie here gives me pause that history could repeat itself unless Danny has assured him he will not be traded- He can not be given a no trade clause though as he has not played for the Celtics for more then 4 years so I am not sure how he gets around this potential problem. What if in 2 years, Kyrie believes he will never be secure here from our immediate past with IT and bolts? A big worry.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 04:02:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Confirms that lebron is the GM:

Kyrie Irving came to believe the camp of LeBron James orchestrated trade talks involving him last June shortly before the departure of David Griffin.

The Cavaliers explored a three-way trade with the Suns and Pacers that would have seen Irving and Channing Frye to to the Suns with Eric Bledsoe and Paul George going to Cleveland. The Suns resisted the scenario over the No. 4 pick. Phoenix used that pick on Josh Jackson.

Team and league sources refute the notion that James' camp initiated the talks as it was Griffin that pursued the deal on his own. Griffin sensed the unhappiness of Irving and was preparing for the possibility that he would request a trade.

Irving remained silent about how the Cavaliers explored trading him when his trade request became public.

"I didn't feel the need to say anything because I knew the truth, and so did they," Irving said. "So it didn't matter what others said. They didn't want me there."

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Some quotes here make Irving look pretty bad:

During a rare practice in the middle of last season, coach Tyronn Lue, who was standing next to assistant coach and Irving confidant Phil Handy, called out to his young point guard.

"Ky," Lue said, "I want you to play a little faster."

"Why?" Irving asked.

"Because if we play faster, we get shots off easier."

"I don't need to play faster to get my shot off," Irving replied. "I can do that anytime."

"I'm not talking about your shot. I'm talking about RJ and JR," Lue said, citing teammates Richard Jefferson and Smith.

"Well, that's No. 23's job," Irving replied, referring to James.

According to members of the Cavs organization who witnessed the exchange, Lue ended the conversation by walking away, shaking his head.

oof

Irving, for his part, laments the fact that his conversation with Lue ended without a resolution. "At that time, we had probably lost a few [games]," Irving says now. "[Lue] is coming up to me and saying, 'We've got to play faster,' and I probably wasn't willing to accept it at the time. So maybe I'd like a do-over on that.

at least he acknowledges that wasnt the best look.