Author Topic: Mo Bamba with 22-15-8 Against Kansas  (Read 2648 times)

Mo Bamba with 22-15-8 Against Kansas
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:18:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Playing against Azubuike, who is widely considered to be an NBA prospect/athlete, Bamba scored 22 (including one 3) with 15 rebounds and 8 blocks.

This is tough competition. Its not Duke, where is struggled with foul trouble against Carter and Bagley, but Kansas is a top tier NCAA school.

The kid is so extremely raw. He has no idea where to be on the court right now. His awareness is low. But the raw abilities are unbelievable - 7'1'' with a 7'9'' wingspan, really good hops, good agility (not just for his size -- good agility overall), pretty good shooting stroke.

I like his competitiveness, too. Although he is lost, you can tell it matters to him. What people call "passivity" with him seems more like struggling to get into rhythm or to get a feel for the game.

If I didn't like Bagley or Doncic so much, I might have Bamba #1 on my draft board, based on raw ability and competitiveness. I like Ayton and Young too, but Bamba is right there in the conversation with them.

Re: Mo Bamba with 22-15-8 Against Kansas
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
ESPN insider has long article about him suggesting he can be at as good as Gobert defensively and much better offensively. He’s the length we will need to defend the new giants like GF, Zinger, Embiid and Towns.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:16:40 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Bamba -size and athleticism.
Can't help but cheer for everyone, but the Lakers.
Still wish it was unprotected.

Donjic, Ayton, Bagley, Bamba will all be prizes.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 12:20:55 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
there's no chance he isnt at least a good rotation player. can't ask for more from a 4-8 pick prospect
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 01:23:22 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I don't think he will thrive on the Celtics. We're looking for ready to go players. This guy needs starter minutes that we can't give him.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 01:27:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
On my big board he's definitely below Doncic, Ayton and Bagley. Would also still likely pick Porter ahead of him, but at #5 I wouldn't be upset choosing him at all.

His rim protection is really something else, and I think BS could turn him into a weapon on offence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 02:55:54 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason
His rim protection is really something else, and I think BS could turn him into a weapon on offence.

It's the other way around. He can turn a good offensive player into a good defender. Name one defensive player that he has turned into a weapon on offense. The reason is it can't be done. You can't coach a player into developing skill sets that require years and years of repetition and practice. You can, however, teach them defensive sets and court awareness so they can overachieve defensively.

Bamba is fools gold. He'll be our Okafor.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 03:06:27 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

It's the other way around. He can turn a good offensive player into a good defender. Name one defensive player that he has turned into a weapon on offense. The reason is it can't be done. You can't coach a player into developing skill sets that require years and years of repetition and practice. You can, however, teach them defensive sets and court awareness so they can overachieve defensively.

Kawhi Leonard is someone Pop and his team has transformed from a defensive force into a two way star and I am also confident Stevens can do something similar given the right guy.

I'm sorry but can't turn a terrible defensive player into a great one, rebounding and defence is instinctual. You can make a bad defender into a solid team defender by keeping their role simple but that is it. Some players have defensive potential but can be lazy and a good motivator can get them to lock in but the talent has to be there. Shooting, free throws and posting up can be taught, it's why Lebron is a great three point shooter and Drummond is a good free throw shooter, it's a matter of technique and repetition.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 03:35:31 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason
What??? In what universe was Kahwi a bad offensive player... ever? He posted positive offensive ratings every year in his career and all shooting percentages in his rookie year are similar to average and peak seasons. Just because he's a great defensive player doesn't mean he sucked on offense and Pop somehow turned him into a great offensive player. His production is linearly tied to his usage rate... I.e. What will happen to Tatum in 4 years when he starts putting up 30 a game. It's not that Brad Stevens will turn him into an offensive weapon.. he just will get  more touches.

Yes shooting is technique and repetition. Something that Stevens is not involved in and takes more time than we have. Defense is the easily and quickly taught one. It's why Tatum and Kyrie look like pro defenders despite being defensive liabilities in their previous lives.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:46:11 AM by Erik »

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 03:54:39 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I hope Danny Ainge drafts a front-court player like Ayton, Bamba, or Bagley and not another guard or wing.

We need someone who can take over Al Horford when his contract is up.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 03:55:02 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
What??? In what universe was Kahwi a bad offensive player... ever? He posted positive offensive ratings every year in his career and all shooting percentages in his rookie year are similar to average and peak seasons. Just because he's a great defensive player doesn't mean he sucked on offense and Pop somehow turned him into a great offensive player. His production is linearly tied to his usage rate... I.e. What will happen to Tatum in 4 years when he starts putting up 30 a game. It's not that Brad Stevens will turn him into an offensive weapon.. he just will get  more touches.

First of all I never said Leonard was a bad offensive player and you actually never said anything about turning bad offensive players into great ones (look back over what you wrote).

Kawhi shot .250 3P% (with a shorter 3 point line) in his college career, his field goal % was .450 while playing 32 minutes a game and his offensive game was quite simple while at San Diego State. In the 2015-16 season playing 33 minutes a game he shot 44.3% from 3 and his FG% 50.6% all while advancing his offensive repertoire with post ups, step backs and hook shots.

You also compared Bamba to Okafor as why we should not draft him, which actually contradicts your argument as Okafor is a good offensive player who can't defend or rebound

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:04:34 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The kid is so extremely raw. He has no idea where to be on the court right now. His awareness is low. But the raw abilities are unbelievable - 7'1'' with a 7'9'' wingspan, really good hops, good agility (not just for his size -- good agility overall), pretty good shooting stroke

He is also very skinny and will get pushed around for a few years because he has the frame of a teenager.  I think the main strike against him is that next year, we will be in a win now mode and not wanting a project who needs to add weight and strength

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Had Bamba above Ayton in my tier list for us going into the season but Ayton overtook him. Performances like this could easily put Bamba back into the conversation for best case scenario for the Lakers Pick should it convey.(Knock on wood)

My stance is that it's easier to fit what Bamba does than what Ayton does into our system. With Irving-Hayward-Tatum we don't need the type of volume scoring from the 5 spot that Ayton would provide, but having a matchup nightmare like Bamba filling in around the wing threats every night could be the difference between making us a perennial ECF threat or a legitimate sustained title contender.

It's going to take more than one game but this was the Bamba I was expecting going into the NCAA season.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
The kid is so extremely raw. He has no idea where to be on the court right now. His awareness is low. But the raw abilities are unbelievable - 7'1'' with a 7'9'' wingspan, really good hops, good agility (not just for his size -- good agility overall), pretty good shooting stroke

He is also very skinny and will get pushed around for a few years because he has the frame of a teenager.  I think the main strike against him is that next year, we will be in a win now mode and not wanting a project who needs to add weight and strength
That's true, on the reality view Doncic should be 1a for us for he is a solid contributor from day 1 while bamba may need 2 year before that, but his ceiling may be higher so he is 1b

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason

First of all I never said Leonard was a bad offensive player and you actually never said anything about turning bad offensive players into great ones (look back over what you wrote).

Kawhi shot .250 3P% (with a shorter 3 point line) in his college career, his field goal % was .450 while playing 32 minutes a game and his offensive game was quite simple while at San Diego State. In the 2015-16 season playing 33 minutes a game he shot 44.3% from 3 and his FG% 50.6% all while advancing his offensive repertoire with post ups, step backs and hook shots.

You also compared Bamba to Okafor as why we should not draft him, which actually contradicts your argument as Okafor is a good offensive player who can't defend or rebound

Lawyered is a great picture to post after that nonsense you wrote because you're strawmannirg the entire argument.

1) When I said to name one good defensive player that Brad Stevens has turned into a good offensive player it's really obvious that I'm referring to a pure defensive player (like Bamba) turning into a 2 way player. Even though I specifically asked about Brad Stevens, the question can be directed to the entire NBA. Kahwi Leonard is an abysmal example of this because 1) He was never a pure defensive player 2) Pop did nothing to develop him... He was already a fantastic offensive player his rookie and sophomore seasons. Please cite specific examples in which Gregg Popovich trained him to become a great offensive player. Maybe his new system is better than SD State and he had better looks, but the tools were already there. I refuse to believe that player development of a matter of one summer between draft and first season they were able to increase his 3pt % by 12.6% on an even deeper shot if we've already both agreed that offensive prowess is repetition and technique.

2) When I called Bamba our Okafor, it was really obvious that it wasn't a literal comparison between the two for all of the points you mentioned. The reference to Okafor would be that we would draft a player who needs a ton of work and not give him the minutes to accomplish player development thus sabotaging his career.