Author Topic: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17  (Read 60269 times)

Re: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17
« Reply #720 on: December 29, 2017, 01:10:00 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Let's forget about Smart's clutch play for a minute and give a bravo to Morris, Rozier, and even Nader.  The bench played a lot better in the second 1/2.  Rozier was on fire, big break away jam, Morris showed up after a rough start, and yes Nader played decent - 5 points 7 boards.

We got 30 points from the bench tonight after a horrible 1st half.  I really want the light to flip for Rozier.  He is obviously talented, just needs to improve the bbiq and keep working hard.

« Reply #721 on: December 29, 2017, 01:24:28 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
James Harden when defended by Marcus Smart tonight:

0-7 FG
4 turnovers

(includes both Harden turnovers in the final 7 seconds)

« Reply #722 on: December 29, 2017, 01:27:37 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.

Well, I think that this game can be seen as a microcosm of the 16-game win streak: The wins make it easy to brush aside the team's flaws, which are plenty.

Stevens said it best: The streak masked a lot of problems. In the same way, tonight's win can easily mask some serious shortcomings.

And as someone who has often been a Negative Nancy with this team, I can assure you that the eternal optimists can be just as irritating, especially when they take a posture of "no negativity allowed."

But I'm always very happy whenever the team proves me wrong, and tonight's win was amazing; Smart came up super clutch in the last two minutes, as did Horford and Tatum with their 2-point makes. I was pretty stoked watching Harden get whistled!!!

Life is tough for many. Sports are often a refuge for those that are looking for light hearted fun at the end of a tough day of work. I see no reason that one should hold a pessimistic view of entertainment. How often do you buy a ticket to a movie that you think will stink? Do you spend $300 to get 2 tickets to a Celtics game and expect the team to get crushed, while thinking that there are many better ways that you could have spent that money?

I can see how eternal optimism can be annoying, but for me, I don't think it even closely approximates the annoyance of blind pessimism, esp after a fun night of watching my favorite basketball team pull off an improbable win.

Like I said, the ending to tonight's game was a blast. I was so pumped after each of those charging calls!

And I understand the idea that sports are a refuge for many, but speaking only for myself, I guess it's hard for me to see my favorite team getting abused (as they were in the first half tonight), or lose to an inferior opponent (as they've done several times lately), and just shrug it off. Maybe I should be able to do that, but it's hard for me, I guess because I get so emotionally invested.

I've worked hard, though, to be more positive, so I'm definitely jazzed that the Cs pulled out the win. But I also understand why certain folks are frustrated with Smart, even after a win. I agree with the optimists that he makes a lot of "winning plays," but I also agree with the pessimists that it would be great to see him "show up" before crunch time more often.

All of that said, all's well that ends well (for tonight, at least)!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #723 on: December 29, 2017, 01:43:03 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.

Well, I think that this game can be seen as a microcosm of the 16-game win streak: The wins make it easy to brush aside the team's flaws, which are plenty.

Stevens said it best: The streak masked a lot of problems. In the same way, tonight's win can easily mask some serious shortcomings.

And as someone who has often been a Negative Nancy with this team, I can assure you that the eternal optimists can be just as irritating, especially when they take a posture of "no negativity allowed."

But I'm always very happy whenever the team proves me wrong, and tonight's win was amazing; Smart came up super clutch in the last two minutes, as did Horford and Tatum with their 2-point makes. I was pretty stoked watching Harden get whistled!!!

Life is tough for many. Sports are often a refuge for those that are looking for light hearted fun at the end of a tough day of work. I see no reason that one should hold a pessimistic view of entertainment. How often do you buy a ticket to a movie that you think will stink? Do you spend $300 to get 2 tickets to a Celtics game and expect the team to get crushed, while thinking that there are many better ways that you could have spent that money?

I can see how eternal optimism can be annoying, but for me, I don't think it even closely approximates the annoyance of blind pessimism, esp after a fun night of watching my favorite basketball team pull off an improbable win.

Like I said, the ending to tonight's game was a blast. I was so pumped after each of those charging calls!

And I understand the idea that sports are a refuge for many, but speaking only for myself, I guess it's hard for me to see my favorite team getting abused (as they were in the first half tonight), or lose to an inferior opponent (as they've done several times lately), and just shrug it off. Maybe I should be able to do that, but it's hard for me, I guess because I get so emotionally invested.

I've worked hard, though, to be more positive, so I'm definitely jazzed that the Cs pulled out the win. But I also understand why certain folks are frustrated with Smart, even after a win. I agree with the optimists that he makes a lot of "winning plays," but I also agree with the pessimists that it would be great to see him "show up" before crunch time more often.

I think 99% of Celtics fans agree that they have been frustrated with Smart at some point during his time in Boston.

Tonight was just a weird time to call him out. He literally won the game for them at the end. Why focus on the negatives tonight, of all nights?

« Reply #724 on: December 29, 2017, 02:43:08 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I think 99% of Celtics fans agree that they have been frustrated with Smart at some point during his time in Boston.

Tonight was just a weird time to call him out. He literally won the game for them at the end. Why focus on the negatives tonight, of all nights?

Point taken. Now I'm off to watch highlights (again)!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #725 on: December 29, 2017, 02:49:43 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
what a game.

I have to take my hat off to 3 guys who I really despise.

First, Nader. Wanted him cut. Wish we had Gerald instead. Tonight, he competed in the first half when almost no one else did. Made some big plays in the 3rd too.

Second, Larkin. Great energy, shockingly good defense.

Third, Terry. Made a bunch of big plays and knocked down some big shots.

Horford played awful until the end. Irving needs to cut down on the dumb late game turnovers.

I love Tatum getting to the line.

Marcus does Marcus things. Great win.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #726 on: December 29, 2017, 02:56:39 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I went to sleep at halftime thinking this one kind of went out of reach.
Now I see us winning this game - crazy!

Marcus Smart, he is an amazing defensive play waiting to happen.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #727 on: December 29, 2017, 06:56:21 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Did anyone else see coach stevens scream "you suck!" At the ref after one of the garbage calls in the 3rd?? Working on making it a gif today lol
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #728 on: December 29, 2017, 08:27:31 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Other teams can come back from 25 point deficits against us.

We can't ...  :(

« Reply #729 on: December 29, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Did anyone else see coach stevens scream "you suck!"

I saw it, too, very uncharacteristic of CBS.  I had him pegged as a Ned Flanders nice guy type.

What a great comeback win!

« Reply #730 on: December 29, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
on my first comment i said this is the game in which marcus needs to earn his All Defensive team, DPOY stripes and boy did he respond. This game will put him on the radar for sure....just wow
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #731 on: December 29, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
This game ties with Warriors win as the best Celtics game this season.

I watched it all slumped down in my couch ,  it was brutal metal beating .  I was close to packing it in.

The incredible plays at the end of the game made it all worth wild. 

« Reply #732 on: December 29, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lots of injured Rockets and they haven't exactly been lighting it up lately losing three in a row, 2 to bad Laker and Clippers teams. I am feeling good about tonight
Ahhh. Knew I had a good feeling.

« Reply #733 on: December 29, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Jayson Tatum's defense this game, especially in the third quarter, but also some in the 4th, was unbelievable.

The entire team brought energy in the second half, but Tatum's tipped passes, steals, and blocks, combined with the way he slid his feet and closed out on shooters, was absolutely awesome.

« Reply #734 on: December 29, 2017, 04:45:14 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
on my first comment i said this is the game in which marcus needs to earn his All Defensive team, DPOY stripes and boy did he respond. This game will put him on the radar for sure....just wow

Good call, he definitely put himself on the map in voters' minds.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.