Author Topic: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17  (Read 60167 times)

Re: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17
« Reply #705 on: December 29, 2017, 12:19:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Large physically, and being able to use that size to overpower opponents. Think Shaq.
Well Shaq was a great offensive player that wore people down and was so powerful that he forced defenses to completely change, so he's nothing like that. Maybe Mark Eaton or something if we're going to go with strong players at their position.

« Reply #706 on: December 29, 2017, 12:20:30 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Complaining about Smart tonight really sounds as out there as complaining about Brady's first half of last year's Superbowl after the Patriots won and after Brady led the team back from 25 down in the 3rd. It makes zero sense. Smart was a major factor in the Celtics winning this game. Enough with the Smart hate on a night like this.
The difference is that Brady is the GOAT. He almost always plays a superb game. He has zero flaws in his game and he has had to win multiple rings with a hand tied behind his back by a league that keeps taking draft picks from him for non infractions and is well known as the hardest worker on his team year in and year out. Smart is a guy that shows up and doesn't contribute in the single most critical part of the game (offense) and then shows up for the last 2 minutes of the game.

What would happen if Brady kept throwing INTs every game and then snuck the ball for one yard at the end of the game each time? 

I know some people would love it and say a win is a win and that he's a great late game QB and that he makes winning plays and that's their right.

Others would say something different and get labeled haters.

I don't hate Smart. I want to see this from him all the time for 48 minutes. I want him to come back a little better every year like Brady. I want him to have great games for the whole game all the time.

It's time for him to raise his game and his consistency and it really really is because it's a contract year for him.

Can you name a more physical, hard nosed, defensive guard in the league than Marcus Smart?
Avery Bradley. And he can play offense too.

Bro that is so wrong, and you know it.

Why do you hate Marcus to the point of flat out lying to make a point?

« Reply #707 on: December 29, 2017, 12:23:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Complaining about Smart tonight really sounds as out there as complaining about Brady's first half of last year's Superbowl after the Patriots won and after Brady led the team back from 25 down in the 3rd. It makes zero sense. Smart was a major factor in the Celtics winning this game. Enough with the Smart hate on a night like this.
The difference is that Brady is the GOAT. He almost always plays a superb game. He has zero flaws in his game and he has had to win multiple rings with a hand tied behind his back by a league that keeps taking draft picks from him for non infractions and is well known as the hardest worker on his team year in and year out. Smart is a guy that shows up and doesn't contribute in the single most critical part of the game (offense) and then shows up for the last 2 minutes of the game.

What would happen if Brady kept throwing INTs every game and then snuck the ball for one yard at the end of the game each time? 

I know some people would love it and say a win is a win and that he's a great late game QB and that he makes winning plays and that's their right.

Others would say something different and get labeled haters.

I don't hate Smart. I want to see this from him all the time for 48 minutes. I want him to come back a little better every year like Brady. I want him to have great games for the whole game all the time.

It's time for him to raise his game and his consistency and it really really is because it's a contract year for him.

Can you name a more physical, hard nosed, defensive guard in the league than Marcus Smart?
Avery Bradley. And he can play offense too.

Bro that is so wrong, and you know it.

Why do you hate Marcus to the point of flat out lying to make a point?
I interpreted "physical" to mean "runs fast in your pocket" and hard nosed to be "plays hard every possession" and "defensive guard" to mean "known more for his defense than his offense." Took a milisecond to come up with AB.  Now I'm being told to try to compare a guard to one of the best centers that ever played who was often out of shape.  I mean....interesting comparison. We could do like a Barkley thing next.

Obviously Smart gets his fair share of credit for the win. Maybe more than his fair share. He gets his fair share of criticism too. Maybe more than his fair share.

« Reply #708 on: December 29, 2017, 12:27:34 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Large physically, and being able to use that size to overpower opponents. Think Shaq.
Well Shaq was a great offensive player that wore people down and was so powerful that he forced defenses to completely change, so he's nothing like that. Maybe Mark Eaton or something if we're going to go with strong players at their position.

So your top two physical guards in the NBA right now are Avery Bradley and Mark Eaton?

« Reply #709 on: December 29, 2017, 12:28:32 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

So your top two physical guards in the NBA right now are Avery Bradley and Mark Eaton?
lol. Yeah. Avery and Mark Eaton!  I guess I'll go with that.

« Reply #710 on: December 29, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
All kidding aside, I don't think that you can come up with a more physical presence at the guard position than Marcus Smart in 2017/2018.

« Reply #711 on: December 29, 2017, 12:31:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sorry eja, you're just being unrealistic and overly negative on Smart tonight. When guarding Harden, he shut him down for an 0-7 against him. He forced the league's MVP into two offensive fouls in the last 10 seconds of the game which cost the Rockets the game. He put up 13 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks and two steals as well as causing those two last minute TOs as a shooting guard.

The whole team sucjed that first half, a lot of players sucjed a lot more than Smart. But he put it together in the second half and was one of the main reasons for the Cs winning the game. The Smart hate for this game just is not warranted.

« Reply #712 on: December 29, 2017, 12:35:03 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Sad seeing a thread get derailed like this after such a great night.

:-\

« Reply #713 on: December 29, 2017, 12:35:30 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sorry eja, you're just being unrealistic and overly negative on Smart tonight. When guarding Harden, he shut him down for an 0-7 against him. He forced the league's MVP into two offensive fouls in the last 10 seconds of the game which cost the Rockets the game. He put up 13 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks and two steals as well as causing those two last minute TOs as a shooting guard.

The whole team sucjed that first half, a lot of players sucjed a lot more than Smart. But he put it together in the second half and was one of the main reasons for the Cs winning the game. The Smart hate for this game just is not warranted.
How'd he do guarding Gordon? Their backups? Because at some point that team drained a ton of shots. 
I'd ask the same questions of the other players.

And this is why I don't really suggest Rozier is better unless you account for money. I have noooooo expectation atttt allll of Rozier being able to effectively defend Harden, or anyone like a Harden. I do for Smart.

« Reply #714 on: December 29, 2017, 12:39:51 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

I am truly and deeply glad I am not the only one seeing this foolishness.

« Reply #715 on: December 29, 2017, 12:42:34 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Smart had a very good game. One of his best. Huge part of a huge win. It was awesome. I want to see it all the time. Every single game. Like Brady. Like Shaq.

« Reply #716 on: December 29, 2017, 12:46:39 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I'm gonna take credit for this win with my discipline.

I stopped watching the game after the first quarter, but checked the score again in the third. After seeing we were coming back, rather than turning the game back on, I stayed disciplined so as to not break the jinx.

Now I wish I watched it anyway.

I did the EXACT same thing ............. so I have set DVR to record replay on TNT @ 2AM.

It really is amazing how I believe that some guy (me) following this game 800 miles away down here in Tennessee is gonna influence the outcome because I decide to return to live broadcast or not to avoid some irrational jinx in my head. In the process, I miss the most amazing Celtics finish since Bird stole the ball in 1987.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #717 on: December 29, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Smart had a very good game. One of his best. Huge part of a huge win. It was awesome. I want to see it all the time. Every single game. Like Brady. Like Shaq.

Haha ok pal. You want to see Marcus Smart play as consistently as Tom Brady.

Until then, are you going to unilaterally complain about him after big wins?

« Reply #718 on: December 29, 2017, 12:52:02 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.

Well, I think that this game can be seen as a microcosm of the 16-game win streak: The wins make it easy to brush aside the team's flaws, which are plenty.

Stevens said it best: The streak masked a lot of problems. In the same way, tonight's win can easily mask some serious shortcomings.

And as someone who has often been a Negative Nancy with this team, I can assure you that the eternal optimists can be just as irritating, especially when they take a posture of "no negativity allowed."

But I'm always very happy whenever the team proves me wrong, and tonight's win was amazing; Smart came up super clutch in the last two minutes, as did Horford and Tatum with their 2-point makes. I was pretty stoked watching Harden get whistled!!!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #719 on: December 29, 2017, 01:01:04 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.

Well, I think that this game can be seen as a microcosm of the 16-game win streak: The wins make it easy to brush aside the team's flaws, which are plenty.

Stevens said it best: The streak masked a lot of problems. In the same way, tonight's win can easily mask some serious shortcomings.

And as someone who has often been a Negative Nancy with this team, I can assure you that the eternal optimists can be just as irritating, especially when they take a posture of "no negativity allowed."

But I'm always very happy whenever the team proves me wrong, and tonight's win was amazing; Smart came up super clutch in the last two minutes, as did Horford and Tatum with their 2-point makes. I was pretty stoked watching Harden get whistled!!!

Life is tough for many. Sports are often a refuge for those that are looking for light hearted fun at the end of a tough day of work. I see no reason that one should hold a pessimistic view of entertainment. How often do you buy a ticket to a movie that you think will stink? Do you spend $300 to get 2 tickets to a Celtics game and expect the team to get crushed, while thinking that there are many better ways that you could have spent that money?

I can see how eternal optimism can be annoying, but for me, I don't think it even closely approximates the annoyance of blind pessimism, esp after a fun night of watching my favorite basketball team pull off an improbable win.