Author Topic: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17  (Read 60168 times)

Re: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17
« Reply #675 on: December 28, 2017, 11:24:11 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Tonight is not the night to be picking on Marcus Smart.

It's just not.
Cmon. Him showing up was long overdue. It's just the law of averages.

That is so incorrect I really don't know where yo start.

Smart wins us 5 games for every 1 he loses us.
The thing that won us this game was that CP3 and Clint Cappella wasn't in it

Definately didn't hurt us that Brown and Hayward are out though, right?

« Reply #676 on: December 28, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

It's just not.

You know, I've got plenty of complaints about Marcus Smart, but I'm not going to bring them up on a night when he saves our butts.  I'm just going to enjoy "good" Marcus for one evening.  It's really not that hard to do.
He had a phenomenal game tonight. Someone here posted the stats. Now let's see it all the time.

« Reply #677 on: December 28, 2017, 11:25:13 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

It's just not.

You know, I've got plenty of complaints about Marcus Smart, but I'm not going to bring them up on a night when he saves our butts.  I'm just going to enjoy "good" Marcus for one evening.  It's really not that hard to do.
He had a phenomenal game tonight. Someone here posted the stats. Now let's see it all the time.

Bruh

« Reply #678 on: December 28, 2017, 11:27:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

It's just not.

Well wait a second....what will happen next year when we add these two guys and maybe a Bomba and suddenly we don't need miracle plays at the end of games any more?  How many people will love Smart so much then? How many people will love his contract then?

« Reply #679 on: December 28, 2017, 11:28:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.
It's an absolute miracle win. Miracle miracle miracle. Divine. For some reason I saw fit to send angels down from the heavens to change the outcome of this game. If you think this is a good way to play a game or that we can rely on this to get us through the season or the playoffs...wow. It's an outlier. You have never seen a game like this before, nor will again. It's just a thing that happened. The first half is far more indicative of the problems than the second half is of the answers.

Why should any of us care that its an outlier? I think we can all agree on that. Making obvious statements isn't going to persuade people that they should be less enthused about this win.

« Reply #680 on: December 28, 2017, 11:31:25 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

It's just not.

Well wait a second....what will happen next year when we add these two guys and maybe a Bomba and suddenly we don't need miracle plays at the end of games any more?  How many people will love Smart so much then? How many people will love his contract then?

Wat?

« Reply #681 on: December 28, 2017, 11:31:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.
It's an absolute miracle win. Miracle miracle miracle. Divine. For some reason I saw fit to send angels down from the heavens to change the outcome of this game. If you think this is a good way to play a game or that we can rely on this to get us through the season or the playoffs...wow. It's an outlier. You have never seen a game like this before, nor will again. It's just a thing that happened. The first half is far more indicative of the problems than the second half is of the answers.

Why should any of us care that its an outlier? I think we can all agree on that. Making obvious statements isn't going to persuade people that they should be less enthused about this win.
I guess I feel more relieved than enthused.

« Reply #682 on: December 28, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #683 on: December 28, 2017, 11:40:36 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Are you going to be upset if the Celtics don't win the Championship this year?

I assume that they won't. I think the Boston Celtics are a young basketball team that will continue to get better year after year after year. It's a process. The fact that they can stay in the game and win it after such a bad start gives me hope. It means that the team demonstrates resolve and mental toughness.

« Reply #684 on: December 28, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I assume that they won't. I think the Boston Celtics are a young basketball team that will continue to get better year after year after year. It's a process. The fact that they can stay in the game and win it after such a bad start gives me hope. It means that the team demonstrates resolve and mental toughness.
I'll probably be annoyed if they don't get to the finals and make a showing.

« Reply #685 on: December 28, 2017, 11:42:34 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Unless you are a super team like Golden State, NBA games tend to be close, due to the team that is losing trying harder while the team that is winning letting up.  That is why you need guys like Smart who can make big plays on a regular basis.  There's no such thing (unless you are obscenely great like the Warriors) as adding a better shooter (but lesser overall player) and suddenly blowing teams out every game so that you never need heroics.  Heroics are ROUTINELY NEEDED in the reality of most NBA contests...

Irving plus Hawyard plus Tatum plus Brown plus Horford is MORE THAN ENOUGH OFFENSE for one team.  There is only so much offense to go around.   You keep Smart on the team if you're a smart GM.  Of course, affordability does come into play which is somewhat out of the Celts hands right now...

« Reply #686 on: December 28, 2017, 11:43:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't get the yamma yamma thing Shaq just did.

« Reply #687 on: December 28, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Unless you are a super team like Golden State, NBA games tend to be close, due to the team that is losing trying harder while the team that is winning letting up.  That is why you need guys like Smart who can make big plays on a regular basis.  There's no such thing (unless you are obscenely great like the Warriors) as adding a better shooter (but lesser overall player) and suddenly blowing teams out every game so that you never need heroics.  Heroics are ROUTINELY NEEDED in the reality of most NBA contests...

Irving plus Hawyard plus Tatum plus Brown plus Horford is MORE THAN ENOUGH OFFENSE for one team.  There is only so much offense to go around.   You keep Smart on the team if you're a smart GM.  Of course, affordability does come into play which is somewhat out of the Celts hands right now...
If he only shoots when he's wide open I would agree with almost all of that actually

« Reply #688 on: December 28, 2017, 11:46:08 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'll probably be annoyed if they don't get to the finals and make a showing.

Expectations are the key difference, I guess.

I think that the Celtics are fun to watch and top 5ish, but GSW and CLE are still the top two teams in the league. Not much has changed at the top, in my eyes, since Lebron, Curry, Durant, etc have remained on their respective championship teams.

« Reply #689 on: December 28, 2017, 11:47:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Complaining about Smart tonight really sounds as out there as complaining about Brady's first half of last year's Superbowl after the Patriots won and after Brady led the team back from 25 down in the 3rd. It makes zero sense. Smart was a major factor in the Celtics winning this game. Enough with the Smart hate on a night like this.