Author Topic: The Anti-Lebron Bias Runs Strong.... But Why?  (Read 13276 times)

Re: The Anti-Lebron Bias Runs Strong.... But Why?
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2017, 01:38:40 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
They are teaching you that any negative opinions about a black person always includes some degree of racism.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure. I also don't think in terms of always or never. I think sometimes there may be racism, but most times there isn't.

The comments I heard first hand were racist, but that doesn't mean all are. Grey, not black and white.

The reason that I started this thread was because I didn't understand the anti-Lebron rhetoric. The guy is a model citizen off the court and an absolute stud on the court. All of the other "soap opera" stuff about what he said on TV 10 years ago or how he cried on tv one time when you were watching seems secondary or tertiary to me. I was trying to ask basketball fans a basketball question. I don't care about the Kardashian/Twitter stuff.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:51:07 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2017, 02:44:46 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It’s pretty simple isn’t it?  When you’re the best, people want to knock you down.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, people can will certainly will come up with reasons (e.g., the decision).  But the real reason is that he’s too [dang] good and people don’t like it.

Why hate this particular guy? I'm sure there's some closeted racism involved with the analysis, but is there anything else?

Huh ?   Why are you so sure there is some "closeted racism involved with the analysis" ?
That assumption tells me that you are brainwashed, with very little ability to think for yourself.

Personally, my problem with Lebron James is about his BEHAVIOR. There are a hundred examples, but one small moment that I remember that said a lot about the guy was when he FINALLY got past Boston in the playoffs a few years back and he drops to his knees at midcourt, face-in-hands with this fake sobbing going on. Then he gets up and will not leave the court. He literally wanders around looking for a camera to stick his face in so that he can continue this embarrassing exhibition of fake emotion he wants out there as part of his image.

Read my initial post. I was talking about guys that I know that don't watch basketball, but have very strong opinions of Lebron and his "big, ugly nose". He's very polarizing, even for non basketball fans. These are the same guys that have strong opinions of Colin Kaepernick, even though they might be able to only name a handful of NFL players. I know I didn't post this earlier, but they are the same guys that call basketball "African handball".

Who is brainwashing me, and what are they saying?
"African handball" doesnt sound too closeted to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2017, 03:53:46 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2017, 08:18:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Greenballers you said this is another thread:

Your argument is essentially: "I want to say what I want because I think it is right. If people are offended by what I'm saying, it's their their problem, not mine. I'm tired of people telling me that what I'm saying is wrong."

How did I summarize this incorrectly?

That is what this very thread is about.   People made a post about Anti-LeBron bias, this is a Celticsblog thread, not a LeBron James buddy club and several folks here have put forth good arguments both for and against.    What did the OP poster expect a love fest for LeBron?   This sounds exactly like your quote above where you're commenting on another's posts except you taken a step further and used an argument that appeals to motive. 

This is a type of pattern of argument which consists in challenging a thesis by calling into question the motives of its proposer.  Note that you did not dispute the arguments put forth against LeBron instead you changed the argument by playing the racist card.

It could be factor to some, but it could be people just don't like the guy, too.   You assume much when you assume my motive.   I don't like the guy but I concede he is a great player.   It was no insult to compare him to Wilt Chamberlain.   I live in Ohio but I am a diehard Celtics fan and have LeBron shoved in my face and hear about every loss to the Cavs.   But the Celtics have been my team for a very long time and I am loyal and with that take the good and the bad.

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2017, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Your argument is essentially: "I want to say what I want because I think it is right. If people are offended by what I'm saying, it's their their problem, not mine. I'm tired of people telling me that what I'm saying is wrong."

That is what this very thread is about.   People made a post about Anti-LeBron bias, this is a Celticsblog thread, not a LeBron James buddy club and several folks here have put forth good arguments both for and against.    What did the OP poster expect a love fest for LeBron?   This sounds exactly like your quote above where you're commenting on another's posts except you taken a step further and used an argument that appeals to motive. 

This is a type of pattern of argument which consists in challenging a thesis by calling into question the motives of its proposer.  Note that you did not dispute the arguments put forth against LeBron instead you changed the argument by playing the racist card.

It could be factor to some, but it could be people just don't like the guy, too.   You assume much when you assume my motive.   I don't like the guy but I concede he is a great player.   It was no insult to compare him to Wilt Chamberlain.   I live in Ohio but I am a diehard Celtics fan and have LeBron shoved in my face and hear about every loss to the Cavs.   But the Celtics have been my team for a very long time and I am loyal and with that take the good and the bad.

I was expecting to hear about basketball X's and O's. Something like "I don't like how Lebron plays Iso too much" or "I don't like that he passes the ball sometimes at the end of a game".

I wasn't expecting Kardashian "stuff".

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Gonna leave this here
http://renieddolodge.co.uk/why-im-no-longer-talking-to-white-people-about-race/

What a joke of an article.

That person who wrote that is one sad individual.

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Gonna leave this here

I think there's a chance you may be proving the article right with your emotional reaction to it.

Still, this is tangential to why people don't like Lebron.

What are the basketball related reasons to not like him, besides being a Celtics fan?

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gonna leave this here

I think there's a chance you may be proving the article right with your emotional reaction to it.

What are the basketball related reasons to not like him, besides being a Celtics fan?

That's a pretty big enough reason in itself.   Can totally understand people who dislike him for that reason alone.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Gonna leave this here

That's a pretty big enough reason in itself.   Can totally understand people who dislike him for that reason alone.

That may be the answer. I know a lot of Pats fans didn't like Peyton, despite the evidence that he seems like a good guy and was a great player.

I'll leave it there then. Most people don't like Lebron b/c they have to watch their team play him.

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I agree with all of this. A lot of people dislike Lebron for a variety of reasons. I really don't understand why people have such a hard time dealing with that mentally.

« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I agree with all of this. A lot of people dislike Lebron for a variety of reasons. I really don't understand why people have such a hard time dealing with that mentally.

I feel that the "dislike" is disproportional to other star players in the NBA and other sports. His last couple of tweets (I'm not a twitter guy but I know many are) included him telling his family that he missed them during the holidays, encouraging "beautiful, young black women", promoting his foundation to support five families during the holidays, and congratulating Kobe on his jersey retirement. All good, positive stuff.

Yet, people want to talk about the Decision, an innocuous PR disaster from over 7 years ago.

He is a good citizen and an even better basketball player. His shooting has improved. He averages about 9 assists a game and has the ability to make teammates better.

I get that people don't like him. I don't get why non-basketball fans immediately jump on the "I hate Lebron" bandwagon. I know "haters are going to hate", but it just seems overboard to me.

« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Gonna leave this here

lol. Like I said, that is a very sad article. Not talking to a group of people about a particular subject, solely because of their race?

Sounds racist to me.

After reading it again, it bewilders me that someone can hold that viewpoint and have the gall to call others racist.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:26:18 PM by wayupnorth »

« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I feel that the "dislike" is disproportional to other star players in the NBA and other sports. His last couple of tweets (I'm not a twitter guy but I know many are) included him telling his family that he missed them during the holidays, encouraging "beautiful, young black women", promoting his foundation to support five families during the holidays, and congratulating Kobe on his jersey retirement. All good, positive stuff.

Yet, people want to talk about the Decision, an innocuous PR disaster from over 7 years ago.

He is a good citizen and an even better basketball player. His shooting has improved. He averages about 9 assists a game and has the ability to make teammates better.

I get that people don't like him. I don't get why non-basketball fans immediately jump on the "I hate Lebron" bandwagon. I know "haters are going to hate", but it just seems overboard to me.

Maybe it is because his arrogant and entitled attitude on and off the court are supremely annoying?

« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Maybe it is because his arrogant and entitled attitude on and off the court are supremely annoying?

Yeah I agree go up north. Can the op really not understand why a guy with a chosen one tattoo rubs people the wrong way? Jeez, this isn't rocket science

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gonna leave this here

lol. Like I said, that is a very sad article. Not talking to a group of people about a particular subject, solely because of their race?

Sounds racist to me.

After reading it again, it bewilders me that someone can hold that viewpoint and have the gall to call others racist.
Welcome to 2017 ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)