Author Topic: The Anti-Lebron Bias Runs Strong.... But Why?  (Read 13304 times)

Re: The Anti-Lebron Bias Runs Strong.... But Why?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 06:55:14 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Lebron is an all time great but that said

Nba is very biased towards making him look like a best ever, superstar calls x ten!
He is a whiner.  Kareem was a great player but whined all the time.
The decision and he seems to move from teams for the chance for championships.  That might not be true but it does seem it. 
He comes off as an entitled jerk be it by the refs and nba, coaches seem to loose jobs if he doesn't like them

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 07:31:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
He quits his teams the moment things get tough.

Only willing to play on a team that is stacked with talent.

Zero loyalty.

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I just hate that his patented offensive move is to run over people with a stiff arm.

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Because he's not competitive

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've been talking to a lot of casual sports fans lately. Very casual- few even know the names of the young Celtics players. I hear a couple of similar sentiments, however.

"The NBA is a trash league"

and

"Lebron is a bum"

When I press them to explain their reasoning, there appears to be very little substance.

Why is the best basketball player in the world so widely criticized? He hasn't hurt anyone, is a standup family guy, then returned from Miami to Cleveland of all places....

Can someone explain this to me? I don't understand the anti-Lebron bias.

I've heard a lot about "the decision".... doesn't that seem like forever ago at this point?

The decision because I have a long memory and hold grudges

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 09:39:31 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Because he's not competitive

Huh? Guy's been to 7 straight finals. If he's not competitive, who is?

Reading through these posts, I've seen a lot of valid comments. This competitive one doesn't make sense to me. Lebron being a bum doesn't make sense to me either.

From my computer, I look down at my extra 20 pounds and realize that in no way could I criticize Lebron's work ethic or competitiveness with a straight face. The guy is a physical beast that has put a ton of work into both his body and his basketball game. To deny this would be foolish, in my opinion.

I think Lebron might be one of the more polarizing athletes in USA sports history. I've read a lot of these responses and I still haven't seen "I don't like him b/c he beat his wife and doesn't provide for his kids". Instead, its mostly smaller points like "I didn't like the way he pursued free agency".

I guess my point is that I think that Lebron is more heavily criticized for small infractions than guys like Kobe, Ben Roethlisberger, etc for actual crimes against humanity. In my opinion, this is weird.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:49:38 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If they think its a trash league now, what the heck did they think of it 10-12 years ago? 

The anti-Lebron thing is somewhat easy.  He has been the main guy standing in the way of the Celtics for a decade now.  Their single biggest rival has a been a man, not a team. It's Lebron.  That obviously leads to a ton of hate.  That's sports fandom. 

Bigger picture, there is a significant amount of slightly older sports fans who grew up with Jordan as the greatest player in the world and he has become deified over the years.  Lebron is the one is who often compared again him and the older segment will side with Jordan.   There are also grating elements to Lebron's personality. "The Decision" was a horrible decision on his part and that turned a lot of people off him for good.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
My issues with LeBron is always on the court. Off the court he seems like a cool dude.

His fans get on my nerves. So few people saw his move back to Cleveland for what it was: Just another escape to a younger stacked team, that just so happens to have formed in his home town.

Complains to the refs way too much for someone who doesn't get called for charges or travels.

3 rings is 3 rings, but it should be noted that:

-Lock out season (1st ring)
-Ray Allen bailed him out (2nd ring)
-Whined to get Draymond Green suspended and shifted the momentum of the whole series. (3rd ring)

Trounced my favorite team in the playoffs like 4 or 5 times. <-- Probably the biggest one for me. All could be forgiven if my team could beat his teams, and I think that's the root of the problem.

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
If they think its a trash league now, what the heck did they think of it 10-12 years ago? 

The anti-Lebron thing is somewhat easy.  He has been the main guy standing in the way of the Celtics for a decade now.  Their single biggest rival has a been a man, not a team. It's Lebron.  That obviously leads to a ton of hate.  That's sports fandom. 

Bigger picture, there is a significant amount of slightly older sports fans who grew up with Jordan as the greatest player in the world and he has become deified over the years.  Lebron is the one is who often compared again him and the older segment will side with Jordan.   There are also grating elements to Lebron's personality. "The Decision" was a horrible decision on his part and that turned a lot of people off him for good.

The funny part about the Decision is that they raised $6m for the Boys and Girls Club. This is almost never discussed.

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

The funny part about the Decision is that they raised $6m for the Boys and Girls Club. This is almost never discussed.

They did but the Decision was as much as about brand building for himself as it was for the Boys & Girls Club.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 10:08:57 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I think many of the Lebron critics that I have met (mainly white guys over the age of 40) never liked or watched NBA, but still have had time to develop strong opinions about a big, tall, strong black guy that self-promotes. I'm sure these guys had fathers that were critical of Muhammad Ali, and before that Jesse Owens, etc etc.

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 10:12:40 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
He quits his teams the moment things get tough.

Only willing to play on a team that is stacked with talent.

Zero loyalty.

I think you're talking about the past with Miami.

Two years ago, when things got tough in Game 7 of the NBA finals, he had one of the most impactful defensive plays in NBA history (big time block at the end of the game). This might go down as his most remembered individual play.

So.... I'm not saying that I love all of the things that Lebron does. I didn't like the Decision. I like to root against Lebron, as he has competed against the Celtics many times.

At the same time, I'm willing to admit that people can change. The move back to CLE was a great move, in my opinion. Yet, for some reason, people remember Lebron's shortcomings and often forget to remember the good stuff.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:23:09 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm always surprised to meet a LeBron fan outside of CLE.  There are countless reasons to dislike him:

He's the best.  As stated, fans of other teams will always dislike the best.  As a Celtics fan, there is no one I have disliked more than his CLE + MIA teams since LBJ entered the league.  They were usually the biggest obstacle to a Finals appearance. 

The Decision.  I've seen some argue that he was young and misguided by his inner circle.  But at 25, I think most people would have enough sense to know that'd be a poor decision (no pun).  Having been televised and glamorized since HS, he had also probably matured (professionally) than most of his same-age peers by that time.  More was (rightfully) expected of him. 

He whines.  As spelled out above, it's obnoxious.  Jordan complained to the refs a lot too.  But Jordan was a fiery competitor, whereas LBJ represents the 'soft and entitled' era of NBA athletes.  To his credit, most of his peers are too,...albeit very wealthy 'small, sweet baked goods.'   

His style of play.  As stated, he has barreled his way to the basket with a blatant forearm shove more times than any one can count.  He gets away with it, though, because he's LBJ.  In the same vein, it's irritating to have seen him take 8 steps on his way to a lay-up.  Like most superstars, a different set of rules apply to him. 

He's arrogant.  Every one appreciates confidence (esp in athletes), but no one likes arrogance.  I imagine it comes off as odd to people that don't watch him play that often.  I think it's pretty obnoxious given how he carries himself on the court at times, and how good he has it... but I can appreciate him using an 'underdog' mentality to motivate himself.

He's not Jordan.  The majority of fans I know that were alive to see Jordan in his prime typically don't like the comparisons.  LBJ hasn't been as successful, but more, Jordan was the ultimate alpha dog, the most popular athlete on the planet, and a fierce competitor.  LBJ plays well to his strengths, but as such, he's not the alpha that Jordan was.  It's hard not to compare their Finals records, too -- for Jordan fans, any conversation starts and ends right there.

Relatedly, he started chasing rings very early into his career.  Aside from how he did it, his move to MIA caused a lot of people to lose respect for him.  This wasn't special treatment, either -- Durant was demonized the exact same way.  I also see a major divide in older vs. younger fans here -- the youth love them some LBJ, while fans that have been around longer seem to think this represented a lack of competitiveness.  Maybe worse, it reflected the lack of loyalty in the NBA today.

He's not really human.  His lack of injuries doesn't add up, and his physical make-up screams PEDs.  I'm not accusing, and I doubt he will ever be discovered a user, but it's not hard to see why people would come to that conclusion... especially if they already dislike him.  His hairline also falls in this category: No man has ever demonstrated a severely receding hairline actually reverse its course.  The youth find optimism here, while the old grit their teeth in disgust.

He has a history of failing to take responsibility for his teams' shortcomings.  Even worse, he has openly throw his teammates under the bus to the media.  This ties into his dominant role over the organization he 'plays' for.  With Kyrie wanting out, I think most assume that playing with LBJ is not a pleasant experience outside of all the wins.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

They did but the Decision was as much as about brand building for himself as it was for the Boys & Girls Club.
what brand building would come out of the decision?  James was already by far the largest brand in basketball and there really is no good that could have come from the decision from a brand perspective.  James has said multiple times that the only reason he did the decision was to raise money and awareness for the boys and girls club.  He wouldn't have done it without the charity aspect. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
and BTW, this exact thread comes up every so often on here.

Here is the most recent one before this one.  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=90365.0

I'm not quite ready to combine them, but the arguments are starting to be duplicative (myself included), so I may just merge this one into the old one.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip