Author Topic: The Anti-Lebron Bias Runs Strong.... But Why?  (Read 13290 times)

The Anti-Lebron Bias Runs Strong.... But Why?
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I've been talking to a lot of casual sports fans lately. Very casual- few even know the names of the young Celtics players. I hear a couple of similar sentiments, however.

"The NBA is a trash league"

and

"Lebron is a bum"

When I press them to explain their reasoning, there appears to be very little substance.

Why is the best basketball player in the world so widely criticized? He hasn't hurt anyone, is a standup family guy, then returned from Miami to Cleveland of all places....

Can someone explain this to me? I don't understand the anti-Lebron bias.

I've heard a lot about "the decision".... doesn't that seem like forever ago at this point?

Re: The Anti-Lebron Bias Runs Strong.... But Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:28:04 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It’s pretty simple isn’t it?  When you’re the best, people want to knock you down.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, people can will certainly will come up with reasons (e.g., the decision).  But the real reason is that he’s too [dang] good and people don’t like it.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Probably because of how insufferable he is. Makes it out as if he's a saint that should be looked up to, then turns around and is the whiniest player on the court. It's legitimately cringeworthy watching him storm up to referees after every single drive to the hoop.

Can't stand the bum
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
It’s pretty simple isn’t it?  When you’re the best, people want to knock you down.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, people can will certainly will come up with reasons (e.g., the decision).  But the real reason is that he’s too [dang] good and people don’t like it.

I think there's more there though....

He seems to be hated more than any of the other "greats". MJ, Kobe, Kareem, Bird, Julius, Wilt, etc etc etc

Across other sports as well... Gretzky, Howe, Montana, Elway, any of the non-steroid baseball players....

Why hate this particular guy? I'm sure there's some closeted racism involved with the analysis, but is there anything else?

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Probably because of how insufferable he is. Makes it out as if he's a saint that should be looked up to, then turns around and is the whiniest player on the court. It's legitimately cringeworthy watching him storm up to referees after every single drive to the hoop.

Can't stand the bum

I guess this is what I mean. Many don't like his complaining, but is he alone in complaining? Furthermore, what makes him a bum? Assuming you're not talking about a rear-end, I assume you mean he's a vagrant or begger?

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 12:30:46 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The fact that media hype and compare him to Jordan is the root of all hate. He haven't proven he's better than Jordan or Kobe when it comes to taking teams to the promised land.

It doesn't help that he used to be mental midget and bolted out to Miami for help, only to hang the team dry when he realized the team is getting older later on. He's full of excuses everytime he fall short.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:35:39 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
The fact that media hype and compare him to Jordan is the root of all hate. He haven't proven he's better than Jordan or Kobe when it comes to taking teams to the promised land.

It doesn't help that he used to be mental midget and bolted out to Miami for help, only to hang the team dry when he realized the team is getting older later on. He's full of excuses everytime he fall short.

TP

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:45:05 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Its because hes the best.

Its not racism or anything else.

Most hated college football team: Bama
basketball: Duke
NFL: Patriots
MLB: Yankees
People hate the guys on top. In 15 years all this hate will be a thing of the past.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:45:33 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He is for sure better than Kobe. Not even close tbh.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 12:46:37 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I'm a fan of LeBron but I think the reason some people dislike him is because they love Jordan. I'm not old enough to have watched a lot of Jordan. But a lot of people love LeBron too, particularly the younger generation.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 04:02:57 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

In stats and individual accomplishments, sure. But overall championship is the ultimate goal. Kobe and Duncan have won more with less.

And before someone points out Robert Horry, I'm exclusively talking about championship leaders, not role players.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 04:42:19 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

In stats and individual accomplishments, sure. But overall championship is the ultimate goal. Kobe and Duncan have won more with less.

And before someone points out Robert Horry, I'm exclusively talking about championship leaders, not role players.
Lol Kobes done more with less?? I guess having multiple first ballot hall of fame big men next you your entire career isn’t enough help. Kobe wasn’t even the best player on his team his first 3 championships.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The reason I stay away from these convos is that I don't know of any objective way to measure "greatness". To me, it's obvious that Lebron is a far better player than Kobe, but if you ask for any knock down arguments, I don't have any.

Same goes for my dislikes. I always found Kobe way more annoying than Lebron. Here again I can explain my preferences, but I don't expect other ppl to find my explanation convincing.

Back to the original question, to me the most disturbing part of Lebron was how he manipulated p much everyone around his team in Cleveland to get Blatt fired. Blatt is a good and hard-working coach, he didn't deserve that treatment.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 04:59:07 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It’s actually an interesting topic.

People love to hate the best, sure. His entitlement is definitely on another level. I can’t stand his smugness or constant complaining, but I don’t think he is a bad person.

I could understand hating Jordan, off the court he wasn’t a good dude. Kobe... we all know his story.

What has LeBron done off the court to become so unlikeable? The decision was a terrible idea, but as a twentysomething and a company like ESPN breathing down your neck (and assuredly their idea), it’s not the worst thing an athlete has done. How is it really that much worse than Durant or Hayward releasing a Player’s Tribune article?

He’s a [dang] good player. One that when he’s done we can look back upon and be happy we got to see one of the best who ever played. He’s rarified air.

That said, I hate him.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 06:52:12 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
1) Came into the league that has rich history with a giant CHOSEN tattoo.  Chosen to do what?  It had religious like implications, like the league was doomed and he was the savior.

2) Is the most physically gifted (including durability) nba player of our generation, yet whines and flops more than most players.  He often pretends to get hit on the head or neck, which are serious areas, and replay shows that he wasn't touched.  Imagine someone of his size doing that in a pickup game with you... you'd think they were the biggest P@#($  (wimp).

3) A significant portion of his effectiveness is from athleticism, yet people want to dub him "the greatest."  The greatest at what?  Compare him to someone like Bird, who was a significantly better shooter, rebounder, and slightly better passer... oh and Bird had a better defensive win share rating for several years.  The one year Lebron lost weight and came back super ripped he was a mostly average player... until he bulked back up.

4) When people think of greatness, they don't think of someone who doesn't seem to understand basic traveling rules.  Lebron routinely gets away with 3, 4, and 5 steps, and when traveling is once in awhile called on him he seems incredibly perplexed. 

5) Everything he says and does has been thought out for months, which I can't blame him for given the media, but he's all about his brand.  Very little about him seems genuine or relate-able.