Author Topic: This trade makes us better instantly  (Read 2751 times)

This trade makes us better instantly
« on: December 26, 2017, 02:29:30 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I know there will be many who will not like this idea, however here's how we get better quickly.

Boston sends Marcus Smart
Minnesota sends Jamal Crawford

Here's why:

Marcus Smart has hit his ceiling. He will never be a good shooter, and he is a turnover machine. For someone who supposedly is a great defender, we get lit up by opposing guards over and over. Semi can be thrust into that role off the bench when we need a defensive stopper along with Jaylen focusing a bit more on that defensive role. Rozier is getting better and better and is the backup PG off the bench of the future. Crawford gives us instant offense off the bench which we need terribly. One of the biggest flaws this team has is their inability to get good production from their bench unit. Morris coming back helps, but Crawford would give us an elite bench scorer. Look at last nights game. 19 points in 19 minutes.

Minnesota gets a young player that they can think has more upside. And at first glance it would appear that they get the better end of this deal.

Re: This trade makes us better instantly
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Pass. Crawford is what? 58?

I'd want some kind of additional compensation to give up Smart. Not a kings ransom, but more than 1 year of a 37 year old shoot first guard.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Pass. Crawford is what? 58?

I'd want some kind of additional compensation to give up Smart. Not a kings ransom, but more than 1 year of a 37 year old shoot first guard.

Smart kills us as often as he helps us. In that first half yesterday he turned the ball over so many times it allowed them to stay in that game. He can't shoot, he's overrated defensively. What exactly do you think you're going to get for him? And quite honestly, a shoot first guard is EXACTLY what this team needs off the bench. He is instant offense and the cure for the struggle we have when Kyrie goes to the bench. A 2nd unit of him, Morris, and Rozier is suddenly a scoring threat that will build or maintain leads.

As far as age goes, he is older, but his game should allow him to continue playing for another 2-3 yrs effectively. Can't believe the guy wouldn't rather be on a contender than the Twolves. He'd re-up for another money friendly couple years after this.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I know there will be many who will not like this idea, however here's how we get better quickly.

Here's why:

Marcus Smart has hit his ceiling. He will never be a good shooter, and he is a turnover machine. For someone who supposedly is a great defender, we get lit up by opposing guards over and over. Semi can be thrust into that role off the bench when we need a defensive stopper along with Jaylen focusing a bit more on that defensive role. Rozier is getting better and better and is the backup PG off the bench of the future. Crawford gives us instant offense off the bench which we need terribly. One of the biggest flaws this team has is their inability to get good production from their bench unit. Morris coming back helps, but Crawford would give us an elite bench scorer. Look at last nights game. 19 points in 19 minutes.

Minnesota gets a young player that they can think has more upside. And at first glance it would appear that they get the better end of this deal.
+

I know that some of you hate defensive RPM, but there is SOME VALIDITY there.  And Crawford is the 100th ranked player out of 100 SG's in defensive RPM.  No thanks!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I get the idea, but this is a ridiculous overpay. Crawford is 38 in a few months and only was able to get 4 million on the open market this past season, even on a short contract. For someone that is awful defensively and not much of a playermaker Crawford also isn't being a good enough scorer to warrant serious minutes. Now if this was for Lou Williams and the expectation was we were not going to sign Smart back no matter what, then that is a bit more realistic.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Pass.  Smart is one of those guys who looks terrible at times, but his +- is always pretty darn good.  Even yesterday he was -2, while the best starter was Tatum at -8.  Baynes played 10 minutes and was -12. 

I'm fine with moving Smart (in part because I don't think Boston will re-sign him for something he would actually want), but not for someone like Crawford.  Boston's needs a big man.  Preferably one that can score a bit as well as rebound and defend.  Basically a healthier slightly bigger version of Morris. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Here's why:

+

I know that some of you hate defensive RPM, but there is SOME VALIDITY there.  And Crawford is the 100th ranked player out of 100 SG's in defensive RPM.  No thanks!!!

Smitty77

And sometimes numbers lie. Can someone explain to me then when we have supposed great defenders in Smart, Brown, and now Semi that almost every game we get LIT UP by opposing guards. They have their season best against us?!

The league is really going to one of "who outscores who" and Smart is definitely is not that kind of player. You won't beat the Warriors, Cavs, Rockets etc with a guy like Smart getting big minutes on the floor. We are anemic off the bench. We need scoring from that unit.

As far as Lou Williams which someone mentioned, I'm all for that as well, however good luck convincing him to play 15 min a night. He wants starters minutes even if he's coming off the bench. Plus he's a bad defender as well.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No it wouldn't at best it's a lateral move.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
lol this trade makes us so much worse
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

For someone who supposedly is a great defender, we get lit up by opposing guards over and over.

Opponents shoot 34.7% from 3pt against us, that's tied for 4th best in the league. When Smart is on the court that percentage drops to 32%. He improves our 3pt defense, which is already great.

When Smart is on the court, opponent eFG% is 49%. That's good enough for best in the league.
(Overall we are 2nd best)

In terms of defensive win shares per 48 Smart is 6th in the league.

Crawford gives us instant offense off the bench which we need terribly.

Crawford is a NET NEGATIVE on offense. This year, Minnesota scores 108 points per 100 with him on the court - and 115 with him off. He's a -7 offensively for them.

And sometimes numbers lie. Can someone explain to me then when we have supposed great defenders in Smart, Brown, and now Semi that almost every game we get LIT UP by opposing guards.

No need to explain, because you are just wrong. See above.

The league is really going to one of "who outscores who" and Smart is definitely is not that kind of player. You won't beat the Warriors, Cavs, Rockets etc with a guy like Smart getting big minutes on the floor. We are anemic off the bench. We need scoring from that unit.

Actually Smart is exactly that kind of player. The Celtics are 8 points better with him on the floor. The team overall shoots a better percentage (+2%) with him on the floor. The team shoots a better 3pt% (+3%) with him on the floor.

Jamal Crawford is NOT that kind of player. The Wolves shoot worse with him on the floor (-4%). They shoot worse from 3 with him on the floor (-6%). They score less with him on the floor (-7 pts).

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jamal Crawford is not a player I'd want on the Celtics. He's an inefficient chucker, and rather old.

I'd be all for adding a scorer type to our bench, and would have no problem trading one of Smart or Rozier to do so, but Crawford is not anywhere close to what we need.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 04:32:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Here's why:

+

Smitty77

And sometimes numbers lie. Can someone explain to me then when we have supposed great defenders in Smart, Brown, and now Semi that almost every game we get LIT UP by opposing guards. They have their season best against us?!

As far as Lou Williams which someone mentioned, I'm all for that as well, however good luck convincing him to play 15 min a night. He wants starters minutes even if he's coming off the bench. Plus he's a bad defender as well.
the celtics are #2 in the nba in defense rating.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1

and as for numbers sometimes lying, i dont think anyone here will disagree. but that also means they sometimes tell the truth. would you please be so kind as to explain to us when they are doing one and when they are doing the other.

unless you do this, all you are doing is believing those stats that support your pre-existing belief. and if you do that, no one takes you very seriously.

thanks in advance.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I do not like that trade and feel it weakens us a great deal In the playoffs, we need a few players to be lock down defenders and Smart is one of them. As much as I hate his shot selection so far this year, I cannot imagine a world where we lose both Avery and Smart and expect to get out of the first round. Heart is not something that can be easily replaced as well. Jamal is on the wrong side of 30 and last I checked, is not known for his lock down D.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'm not disagreeing we need to have lockdown defensive players. Im just disagreeing with the fact that Marcus is the answer. Can someone please address the fact that opposing guards continuously light us up? Why didn't Marcus shut down Beal or Wall yesterday?

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Look ar their shooting percentages from yesterday and you'll see they shot poorly against us.
The problem yesterday was 4th quarter turnovers and rebounding.

Smart for Crawford is a terrible idea, this coming from a guy who thinks Smart is overrated.