Author Topic: DPE Idea: Ed Davis  (Read 2478 times)

Re: DPE Idea: Ed Davis
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 03:02:25 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think the #1 priority should be scoring

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 05:37:45 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
It might be worth noting that we have settled in as a completely average (and falling) rebounding team this year. Partly by system/design as usual, but the early season rebounding surge has been fully reversed.

It's a valid concern, but I don't think rebounding is an issue you can afford to fix by compromising other areas, such as offensive competence.

Ed Davis just would not fit at all in this offense.  Brad's system requires bigs that can operate a dribble handoff, pass, cut, and make wide open mid range shots.  I don't see how Ed Davis fits into that at all.  It's not just the lack of shooting.

It matters for some matchups.  As the originator of this thread, I completely agree that there are some teams against which Davis would be pretty useless, such as Golden State and Houston.  But against a team like Detroit, it would be very useful to have two players who can fill the center role against Drummond, leaving Al at the 4 for the majority of the game.  The same is true with Miami and New York, all of which are teams we could see in the first two rounds.

One of the main things that make Stevens a terrific coach is that he’s very good at figuring out how to put players in roles that maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.  Davis isn’t a good passer?  Then you don’t put him in situations where he’s supposed to pass.  He’s a great rebounder? Then you don’t have him switch on defense.  He gets 50% more screen assists per minute than Baynes, and double that of Horford?  There’s a role for that in the offense.

Again, he’s a backup big who might get 15 minutes a game against some teams sometimes.  But those could be a very useful 15 minutes, helping to prevent another series like we had against Chicago last year.
The fact that Davis accumulates 50% more screen assists than Baynes tells you next to nothing about their usefulness in an offense by itself.  Baynes is often off ball and not exclusively setting screens as much of the offense is ran off Horford.  Davis has 1 job when on the floor in Portland and that is to set screens for McCollum and Lillard forcing his defender to help try to contain them, he can do nothing else.  The guys who accumulate the most screen assists are not necessarily the best screeners, more often it is because they cannot do much of anything else and screening is their most effective/only usage.  It is way more effective to have a Horford or K.O. to run your offense off of creating space, slipping/setting screens, popping, driving, spotting up and diversifying your offense much more.  Horford doesn't accumulate as many screen assists simply because he does way more than just set screens.

With the Celtics severe lack of spacing when Horford is out of the game I wouldn't want anything to do with Davis nor would I want him paired with Horford clogging things up.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I absolutely see the merit in Ed Davis. He's a high energy, athletic big who has a NBA skill set. Assuming the price is a 2nd rounder or one of our 3rd stringers, I'm in.

I don't see how we need scoring any more than rebounding, or any other plus stat really. Improved rebounding directly affects scoring, and improved 2nd string interior D is as valuable (or more) as 2nd string scoring. What is most interesting is that our 2nd unit doesn't really have a defensive problem. These stats are old but Bleacher Report put us as having the 6th best bench in the league, largely due to our defensive talent on the 2nd unit.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748208-nba-metrics-101-ranking-top-10-benches-in-the-nba

This is all to say that I think Stevens can make hay out of a defensive big, a scoring wing, or a ball boy. It's becoming clearer and clearer that we need the #15 spot filled by NBA ready talent. Leaning on Nader, Yabu and Byrd for glue minutes isn't a long term solution.

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I absolutely see the merit in Ed Davis. He's a high energy, athletic big who has a NBA skill set. Assuming the price is a 2nd rounder or one of our 3rd stringers, I'm in.

I don't see how we need scoring any more than rebounding, or any other plus stat really. Improved rebounding directly affects scoring, and improved 2nd string interior D is as valuable (or more) as 2nd string scoring. What is most interesting is that our 2nd unit doesn't really have a defensive problem. These stats are old but Bleacher Report put us as having the 6th best bench in the league, largely due to our defensive talent on the 2nd unit.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748208-nba-metrics-101-ranking-top-10-benches-in-the-nba

This is all to say that I think Stevens can make hay out of a defensive big, a scoring wing, or a ball boy. It's becoming clearer and clearer that we need the #15 spot filled by NBA ready talent. Leaning on Nader, Yabu and Byrd for glue minutes isn't a long term solution.

I'd agree with all this.  Davis has certainly shown himself to be an elite rebounder, and that has been our biggest weakness in the last month.

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »

Offline DarthCeltic

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
If we are going to bail the blazers out of tax completely by taking on davis, I'd take a pick back instead.  Like take his remaining salary taking them out of tax and repeater tax  along with a top 56 protected second in 2019 for the blazers second in 2018.